The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick MORSE applicants 2017!

Hi,
Is anyone else here applying for the MORSE degree at Warwick?

I'm currently doing maths further maths and economics, predicted A*AA and I'll be doing STEP.
I'm interested in the actuarial route. My personal statement is based more on 50% economics and 50% maths and stars since I'm applying for maths and eton at other unis.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying to MMORSE.
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I'm doing maths, further maths and chemistry. My PS is like 35% maths 35% stats and the 30% of myself talking about an asset management internship where I talk a bit about finance and economics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by AAls
I'm doing maths, further maths and chemistry. My PS might be in a bit of a mess. It's like 25% maths 50% stats (have so many stats super curriculars ) and the 25% of myself talking about an asset management internship where I talk a bit about finance and economics.

Cool, what do you mean by stats super curriculars? I've been self teaching an S3 module and read some books, and learnt to program in R.
Reply 4
Original post by akbar0123
Cool, what do you mean by stats super curriculars? I've been self teaching an S3 module and read some books, and learnt to program in R.

Masterclasses at The Royal Institution, R programming at a summer school etc. Looking at my PS again, I think it's more even on maths and stats. I am planning on self teaching S2 and also S3 this year if I have time. What books have you read?
Reply 5
Original post by AAls
Masterclasses at The Royal Institution, R programming at a summer school etc. Looking at my PS again, I think it's more even on maths and stats. I am planning on self teaching S2 and also S3 this year if I have time. What books have you read?

How to think like a mathematician
Mathematics for economists
Logic of life
Undercover economist
The economist magazine
Yeah I'm applying predicted a*aa, not great I know but I'm going to do Step as well and improve my m2 so I can get the A* that I want in further maths as well as maths.

Apparently morse is a really really hard and intense degree so I want to make sure I ace A Levels.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am retaking C3 (got 65/100 my lowest one). I got A*AB, in econ,maths,FM. Do you think i have a chance to get into MORSE. If not, could you suggest any other courses.

Thanks.
Original post by mehtj006
I am retaking C3 (got 65/100 my lowest one). I got A*AB, in econ,maths,FM. Do you think i have a chance to get into MORSE. If not, could you suggest any other courses.

Thanks.

You could have a chance but you need to do STEP. Is A*AB your predicted grades or your achieved grades?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by squish562
You could have a chance but you need to do STEP. Is A*AB your predicted grades or your achieved grades?

Those are my achieved grades. I made show my admissions tutor mentions my extenuating circumstances in my reference. Do you believe i will have a greater chance with accountancy and finance. My personal statement is heavily based on maths,stats,econ and finance. I have gained relevant work experience and insight days already, and have some in place for the coming year.

Thankyou for the quick reply.
Those are my achieved grades. I made show my admissions tutor mentions my extenuating circumstances in my reference. Do you believe i will have a greater chance with accountancy and finance. My personal statement is heavily based on maths,stats,econ and finance. I have gained relevant work experience and insight days already, and have some in place for the coming year.

Thankyou for the quick reply.

Morse is quite different from accounting and finance so figure out first whether you would prefer to study accounting or MORSE. If you have extenuating circumstances then Warwick might give you an offer. They don't care about work experience though.
Morse is quite different from accounting and finance so figure out first whether you would prefer to study accounting or MORSE. If you have extenuating circumstances then Warwick might give you an offer. They don't care about work experience though.

My interst lie mostly in maths and finance. So i believe accounting and finance is the better choice. As for the work experience, i think they would prefer if i did something productive during my gap year.
My interst lie mostly in maths and finance. So i believe accounting and finance is the better choice. As for the work experience, i think they would prefer if i did something productive during my gap year.

Oh ok, I forgot that you were doing a gap year. Then yes, they would prefer you to be doing something like work experience, accounting doesn't involve any maths though apart from adding, subtracting, multiplying, division, exponents- basically GCSE maths. MORSE contains much more advanced university level mathematics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Oh ok, I forgot that you were doing a gap year. Then yes, they would prefer you to be doing something like work experience, accounting doesn't involve any maths though apart from adding, subtracting, multiplying, division, exponents- basically GCSE maths. MORSE contains much more advanced university level mathematics.

Thanks for the advice, it's been very helpful.if you could please help me with one last thing. My personal statement talks about maths finance and econ. There isn't anything about accountancy. Do you think i should include this?
Thanks.
Thanks for the advice, it's been very helpful.if you could please help me with one last thing. My personal statement talks about maths finance and econ. There isn't anything about accountancy. Do you think i should include this?
Thanks.

If you want to apply to accounti and finance, I would probably remove the maths part and add something about accountancy. Maybe include what books you've read
If you want to apply to accounti and finance, I would probably remove the maths part and add something about accountancy. Maybe include what books you've read

Alright, ill see what i can do. Thanks for the help.
What other unis are you guys applying to?
Brstol A*AB A&F
Lse stats n finance Aaa
Ucl stats n finance aaa
Notts A&F aab
Brstol A*AB A&F
Lse stats n finance Aaa
Ucl stats n finance aaa
Notts A&F aab

Lse has an accounting and finance degree as well, why not apply to that?
Original post by Ladbants
Lse has an accounting and finance degree as well, why not apply to that?

Ideally i would want to do a maths and finance course. So stats and finace comes the closest followed by accounting and fimance. The other 3 unis do not offer stats and finance so i chose accounting and finance.

My ps is heavily based in maths,stats,econ and finance. So there shouldnt be an issue i dont think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending