The Student Room Group

How did you choose your A-Levels

I am in year 11 and I have 2 months, before my first 6th form application, to decide what A-Levels I should take. I have narrowed it down to 6 but I don't know what to pick.
I know that when I am older I would like to be a film director or a marketing manager (I know two completely different career choices) and so I have made sure that the small list I have made can help me in someway towards those two careers.
These are the short-listed A-Levels:
- English
- economics
- business studies
- psychology
- philosophy and ethics
- maths
I know that some of these are similar but this is where I need advise.
If anyone takes these A-Levels and can give me idea's on what you do, or if anyone can share exactly how they chose their A-Levels I would be so appreciative.
Thanks 8)

Scroll to see replies

I chose my A Levels by looking ahead to what I might like to do as my degree and made sure I chose subjects to meet the entry requirements (luckily for me, Law does not require any specific subjects).

I then looked at what I enjoy doing at GCSE and what I think I would be good at at A Level and I basically made my decision that way.

I took Business last year (AQA) and we learnt about things such as quality control, operations management, managing HR including theories and methods of motivation, business objectives, marketing strategies, etc.

I also took English Lit (again AQA) and we studied tragedy last year, reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello and Death of a Salesman, as well as doing some poetry work. This year the theme is political and social protest writing, so we're reading The Kite Runner, The Handmaid's Tale and some Blake poetry, as well as doing some coursework on the literary canon and Rossetti's poetry. However, the specification includes other books as options so you may not study the same books even if you have the same exam board.
(edited 7 years ago)
Lots of sensible TSR advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

Read it ALL carefully!
Original post by CatusStarbright
I chose my A Levels by looking ahead to what I might like to do as my degree and made sure I chose subjects to meet the entry requirements (luckily for me, Law does not require any specific subjects).

I then looked at what I enjoy doing at GCSE and what I think I would be good at at A Level and I basically made my decision that way.

I took Business last year (AQA) and we learnt about things such as quality control, operations management, managing HR including theories and methods of motivation, business objectives, marketing strategies, etc.

I also took English Lit (again AQA) and we studied tragedy last year, reading Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Othello and Death of a Salesman, as well as doing some poetry work. This year the theme is political and social protest writing, so we're reading The Kite Runner, The Handmaid's Tale and some Blake poetry, as well as doing some coursework on the literary canon and Rossetti's poetry. However, the specification includes other books as options so you may not study the same books even if you have the same exam board.

Thanks for the advice - i'm looking into english lit, are you enjoying it??
Original post by returnmigrant
Lots of sensible TSR advice here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_guide_to_choosing_your_sixth-form_subjects

Read it ALL carefully!

thanks for the link, there's some really good advice on here. 8)
Original post by Photograph999
Thanks for the advice - i'm looking into english lit, are you enjoying it??

Yeah it's good. I love reading and I like analysing the meanings behind texts and seeing how writers create the masterpieces they do! Class debates are interesting, when we all have different theories as to why the author made the characters the way they are or what the character should have done in a situation instead.
Having 2 facilitating subjects stands out on applications especially for Russell group universities. Maths, English and another would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm in year 11 as well, I knew what I wanted to do since year 10, I didn't start by looking at A levels, I started by going onto university websites, to find entry requirements. At first, I thought that I would like to do physics at uni, but the entry requirements wanted maths at A level, and I'm not even good at GCSE maths, so I scrapped that idea and turned to chemistry, the entry requirements were fairly simple for the uni's that I want to go to(Nottingham/manchester). if you know what you want to do at uni then look at their entry requirements.
Reply 8
I am in year 11 and I have 2 months, before my first 6th form application, to decide what A-Levels I should take. I have narrowed it down to 6 but I don't know what to pick.
I know that when I am older I would like to be a film director or a marketing manager (I know two completely different career choices) and so I have made sure that the small list I have made can help me in someway towards those two careers.
These are the short-listed A-Levels:
- English
- economics
- business studies
- psychology
- philosophy and ethics
- maths
I know that some of these are similar but this is where I need advise.
If anyone takes these A-Levels and can give me idea's on what you do, or if anyone can share exactly how they chose their A-Levels I would be so appreciative.
Thanks 8)

For me Maths was my top option, I was always going to take it.

Biology I found really interesting, especially in B3, so I was like hey why not do an A-level in it.

History and Politics were however snap decisions out of the blue. I went to my sixth form's open evening and decided to have a quick look at history while my sister was asking questions. Looked at the modules and for AS they were perfect! Politics was decided upon when Economics was withdrawn, had no real prior knowledge just a casual interest.

Initially I was going to take Maths, Biology and Politics to A2, however I found Biology too much and so took Maths, Politics and History. If you told me 15 months ago I was going to be doing those A-levels I would have laughed at you.
Yeah it's good. I love reading and I like analysing the meanings behind texts and seeing how writers create the masterpieces they do! Class debates are interesting, when we all have different theories as to why the author made the characters the way they are or what the character should have done in a situation instead.

thats actually really different compared to what i thought it was.. thanks 8)
Original post by jamestg
For me Maths was my top option, I was always going to take it.

Biology I found really interesting, especially in B3, so I was like hey why not do an A-level in it.

History and Politics were however snap decisions out of the blue. I went to my sixth form's open evening and decided to have a quick look at history while my sister was asking questions. Looked at the modules and for AS they were perfect! Politics was decided upon when Economics was withdrawn, had no real prior knowledge just a casual interest.

Initially I was going to take Maths, Biology and Politics to A2, however I found Biology too much and so took Maths, Politics and History. If you told me 15 months ago I was going to be doing those A-levels I would have laughed at you.

So its fair to say that you went with your gut 8)
Just out of curiosity what do you do in maths. I am interested but my friend told me it was really hard and she had to drop it. I have an interest in maths so i don't think i would be bored but my friend advises me against it.
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
I'm in year 11 as well, I knew what I wanted to do since year 10, I didn't start by looking at A levels, I started by going onto university websites, to find entry requirements. At first, I thought that I would like to do physics at uni, but the entry requirements wanted maths at A level, and I'm not even good at GCSE maths, so I scrapped that idea and turned to chemistry, the entry requirements were fairly simple for the uni's that I want to go to(Nottingham/manchester). if you know what you want to do at uni then look at their entry requirements.

So take into consideration what you want to do when your older for you degree..
Ok Thanks 8)
Original post by fxlloutboyy
Having 2 facilitating subjects stands out on applications especially for Russell group universities. Maths, English and another would be great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So main subjects are useful for getting into universities.
Thanks 8)
Reply 13
Took history because I absolutely adore history. Ever since I was 9 years old I spoke about studying history at even uni, so it was a no brainer. Though I will now be doing my postgrad in history. (Long story).

Took English Lit because I enjoyed it at GCSE and I love writing essays and reading.

Took Religion because again enjoyed it at GCSE and I excelled at it. In fact, it was my best scoring A Level.

Took Politics on a whim. Originally down for Irish but then swapped into it on Induction Day. A fabulous decision. I am now studying Politics at uni thanks to it (and because I had problems with history at my university, long story as said above).
when i chose my a levels, i was still undecided between a career as a paramedic or a geologist (2 totally different paths ik!) so i chose biology, geology, geography and physics. currently in my second year at college, i want to be neither and instead an architect, which had been a dream job when i was younger.
now i am staying for an extra year to do an art and design qualification.
a lot can change in a couple of years, you may change your mind again and again.
i'd say pick a mix of subjects that can be applied to both careers you are interested in. :smile:
Original post by jayokay
when i chose my a levels, i was still undecided between a career as a paramedic or a geologist (2 totally different paths ik!) so i chose biology, geology, geography and physics. currently in my second year at college, i want to be neither and instead an architect, which had been a dream job when i was younger.
now i am staying for an extra year to do an art and design qualification.
a lot can change in a couple of years, you may change your mind again and again.
i'd say pick a mix of subjects that can be applied to both careers you are interested in. :smile:

thanks, I will probably change my mind every month so... 8)
thats actually really different compared to what i thought it was.. thanks 8)

Well it is different to GCSE in that the focus is more on writer's craft and the messages the author is giving, etc, as at GCSE the focus was more on plot, social context and the characters themselves from my experience (although these elements are still important at A Level). Out of interest, what were you thinking it would be like?
Well it is different to GCSE in that the focus is more on writer's craft and the messages the author is giving, etc, as at GCSE the focus was more on plot, social context and the characters themselves from my experience (although these elements are still important at A Level). Out of interest, what were you thinking it would be like?

Very similar to how it is now in GCSE's, just reading the book analysing it and looking at the context. We don't look at why the author wrote the book or how other people interpret what they have written so the fact that at A-Level you mainly focus on the author and the setting, the stage etc.. It almost makes it come more alive.
I wouldn't mind becoming a director so for me to be able to think and discuss more on where it is, the stage, why he/she wrote it like this and the message that they wanted to show, it interests me. GCSE English doesn't interest me one bit.
Are the books your studying good?
Simple, mother = no opinion lol
Maths, economics, psyc and philosophy :smile:

what degree would you do for marketing? I would suggest business/economics

Quick Reply

Latest