The Student Room Group

Unemployed. Offered an entry level job abroad, but....

Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for an entry level job. Pays enough to get by frugally. Good company.

It's not relevant to anything I want to do long term though, I just applied to it on a whim because I've been unemployed for a while and can't seem to get anything else.

Better than doing nothing though? Thought?
Reply 1
Is it a job in retail or something? I personally wouldn't go abroad for a minimum wage job, Think of how much it will cost in flights, accommodation etc. then what happens if you get there and the job isn't what you imagined/enjoy. Its a lot of hassle when there are those sort of jobs here. If it was a better paying job/relevant to your career aspirations I would consider it but otherwise no
I wouldnt go unless it was spectacular experience. Too much hassle for me. You cam do volintary work here.
One of the reasons is if it leaves you financially vulnerable abroad.
Original post by Tw1x
Is it a job in retail or something? I personally wouldn't go abroad for a minimum wage job, Think of how much it will cost in flights, accommodation etc. then what happens if you get there and the job isn't what you imagined/enjoy. Its a lot of hassle when there are those sort of jobs here. If it was a better paying job/relevant to your career aspirations I would consider it but otherwise no

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel as well but since I've been out of work for a while I feel like I should just suck it up. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

These jobs exist in the UK but they're all flooded with applications.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by LiquidCryztal
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel as well but since I've been out of work for a while I feel like I should just suck it up. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

These jobs exist in the UK but they're all flooded with applications.

You need to improve your job hunting skills and just keep going. Do voluntary work as well.
Original post by 999tigger
I wouldnt go unless it was spectacular experience. Too much hassle for me. You cam do volintary work here.
One of the reasons is if it leaves you financially vulnerable abroad.

It's a decent salary compared to a similar job in the UK. It would be enough to live reasonably and put 100 quid or so aside each month.

But idk, it does feel like hassle. Just seems odd to be rejecting a job when I've trying to get one for a while.
It's a decent salary compared to a similar job in the UK. It would be enough to live reasonably and put 100 quid or so aside each month.

But idk, it does feel like hassle. Just seems odd to be rejecting a job when I've trying to get one for a while.

Its your choice. You need a contingency plan. What happens if it turns out not to be what you expected, you get fired or injured? Do you have an escape plan?

Its always a personal choice. How will it affect your job search back in the UK? Could it lead to something else. I cant say go or stay ( I cna for me), but I would just do a pros and cons.

My concern would be that maybe the reason you arent getting anywhere is becayse your job search us not good enough.
Original post by 999tigger
Its your choice. You need a contingency plan. What happens if it turns out not to be what you expected, you get fired or injured? Do you have an escape plan? Its always a personal choice. How will it affect your job search back in the UK? Could it lead to something else. I cant say go or stay ( I cna for me), but I would just do a pros and cons. My concern would be that maybe the reason you arent getting anywhere is becayse your job search us not good enough.

Nah there's nothing wrong with my job search.

It's a lack of relevant work experience and a poor degree that are holding me back. Only fields I'm interested in going into are analytical type roles but they tend to require top STEM degrees from top unis and top grades to even intern.

I'd have to work into it from the bottom but I can't seem to even get into entry-level finance/data jobs in the UK because the markets flooded with grads looking for those jobs.
(edited 7 years ago)
Nah there's nothing wrong with my job search.

It's a lack of relevant work experience and a poor degree that are holding me back. Only fields I'm interested in going into are analytical type roles but they tend to require top STEM degrees from top unis and top grades to even intern.

I'd have to work into it from the bottom but I can't seem to even get into entry-level finance/data jobs in the UK because the markets flooded with grads looking for those jobs.

Small steps. use linkedin or informla enquiries to try and get your foot in the door. If you cnat compete then you will have to look at other areas.

My tip would be to do some professional qualifications in the area you want to go into. Doesnt do any harm to know how the business works, especially financial services.
I took a reasonably entry level position abroad a year or so back. Best decision I ever made. Opened up a whole load of career opertunities in a new country, where my specific skills were in much higher demand then back in the UK. It also made much more indipendant, confident and self-reliant. And as the cherry on the top, I am quickly moving along with learning a second language.*

But...

Its also the hardest thing I have ever done. Living away from your home is awful, unless you love that traveller/expat type vibe. For most people its just a prolonged pause in every aspect of their life except work.. I havent seen my family in 11 months. havent spoken face to face with another british person in 9. I can barely eat any of the food I like, everything is cultrually different here, communication is improving but still hard most of the time. Any time when I am not working, I am daydreaming about coming home, and wanting to return. I wont though, because I have a plan - and there is a really good reward in store if I see my plan through to fruition, and that means staying away from home for another 11 months more.

So for me, unless you are the sort of traveller type, then working abroad is definetly not something you do on a whim. It should be a real option to consider, as there are great rewards, but its also not easy at all and both sides need to be carefully considered.

Personally, despite all the difficulties, I still think its the best decision I have ever made.. but that does not mean I dont wish I could return home. *
Original post by fallen_acorns
I took a reasonably entry level position abroad a year or so back. Best decision I ever made. Opened up a whole load of career opertunities in a new country, where my specific skills were in much higher demand then back in the UK. It also made much more indipendant, confident and self-reliant. And as the cherry on the top, I am quickly moving along with learning a second language.*

But...

Its also the hardest thing I have ever done. Living away from your home is awful, unless you love that traveller/expat type vibe. For most people its just a prolonged pause in every aspect of their life except work.. I havent seen my family in 11 months. havent spoken face to face with another british person in 9. I can barely eat any of the food I like, everything is cultrually different here, communication is improving but still hard most of the time. Any time when I am not working, I am daydreaming about coming home, and wanting to return. I wont though, because I have a plan - and there is a really good reward in store if I see my plan through to fruition, and that means staying away from home for another 11 months more.

So for me, unless you are the sort of traveller type, then working abroad is definetly not something you do on a whim. It should be a real option to consider, as there are great rewards, but its also not easy at all and both sides need to be carefully considered.

Personally, despite all the difficulties, I still think its the best decision I have ever made.. but that does not mean I dont wish I could return home. *

Thanks for your response.

Travelling isn't an issue for me. I've done a load of long stints abroad. The biggest issue I've got is that the role isn't relevant to anything I want to do long term and I can't see how it could be worked up from into anything I'm interested in. It is just a generic entry-level role that I could probably eventually get at home.

Your role, though entry-level, seems like it feeds into something you want to do - am I right?

For me I feel like I'd probably go for it, have fun abroad for a few months and then once that novelty wore off realise that I probably could just be doing the same thing closer to home, family etc. However I don't have a job at the minute, so I'm not sure that I can be this fussy.
Seems like a lot of hassle to go through for an entry level job. Pays enough to get by frugally. Good company.

It's not relevant to anything I want to do long term though, I just applied to it on a whim because I've been unemployed for a while and can't seem to get anything else.

Better than doing nothing though? Thought?

Don't move abroad for something that's so easy to come by in the UK, probably even in your own hometown.

Don't put your degree on your CV when applying for these sorts of jobs because they will think you're overqualified.
AngryRedhead
Don't move abroad for something that's so easy to come by in the UK, probably even in your own hometown.

Don't put your degree on your CV when applying for these sorts of jobs because they will think you're overqualified.

There's alot of these jobs back in the UK but they are all inundated with applications.

Also it seems most jobs now want complete online application forms with every detail of your life and not just a CV. They then make you sign a declaration form agreeing that you made no omissions. I'm too paranoid to ignore this and start leaving stuff out.
(edited 7 years ago)
There's alot of these jobs back in the UK but they are all inundated with applications.

Also it seems most jobs now want complete online application forms with every detail of your life and not just a CV. They then make you sign a declaration form agreeing that you made no omissions. I'm too paranoid to ignore this and start leaving stuff out.

Okay, so I guess your challenge here is to pre-emptively re-assure the employer that you aren't just going to pack up and leave at the drop of a hat once something better comes along. Try and put this in a cover letter if you can

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending