The Student Room Group

2 subjects 1 personal statement!!

I am reapplying to uni this year and I want to apply for both chemistry and chemical engineering.

Originally I applied for chemical engineering only so my personal statement is mostly engineering oriented but has stuff about chemistry

should i just leave it? how would i change it?
Original post by Roshany
I am reapplying to uni this year and I want to apply for both chemistry and chemical engineering.

Originally I applied for chemical engineering only so my personal statement is mostly engineering oriented but has stuff about chemistry

should i just leave it? how would i change it?

which course do you want to do more?
You can try to lean t it more toward chemistry than engineering, but keep the engineering to be able to talk about chemistry in an applied context? I dont know, just going off the advice I was given for writing my statement.
Choose between the 2 courses and tailor your PS to that subject.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
which course do you want to do more?

I want to do both? I cant decide
Reply 5
Original post by Roshany

But you have to decide at some point. It's better to decide early and have a brilliant application, rather than sending a half hearted application and jeopardising your chances of both
Reply 6
Original post by Juno
But you have to decide at some point. It's better to decide early and have a brilliant application, rather than sending a half hearted application and jeopardising your chances of both

but there are joint courses for chemistry and chemical engineering
Original post by Roshany

An engineering course is going to be quite different from a science course. You still have time to decide which route you'd rather go, though.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
An engineering course is going to be quite different from a science course. You still have time to decide which route you'd rather go, though.

I want to do chemistry but work as a chemical engineer
Original post by Roshany

If you want to work as a chemical engineer after studying Chemistry, you would have to do a master's in Chemical Engineering anyway.

I don't see why you don't make your life easier and do the B/Meng in Chemical Engineering.
Original post by Roshany

This doesn't make sense. If you want to work as a chemical engineer you will study chemical engineering.

Do you know what working as a chemical engineer typically involves?
Reply 11
Original post by Smack
This doesn't make sense. If you want to work as a chemical engineer you will study chemical engineering.

Do you know what working as a chemical engineer typically involves?

I want to go into pharmaceuticals and it overlaps last year I was certain I wanted to do chemical engineering
Reply 12
Original post by Roshany
I want to go into pharmaceuticals and it overlaps last year I was certain I wanted to do chemical engineering

The more you post, the clearer it becomes that you have no idea what you want.

You need to research each degree carefully. What careers can each lead to? What exactly will you study? What have you enjoyed so far? You might even consider doing some work experience or seeing a careers advisor.
Reply 13
Original post by Juno
The more you post, the clearer it becomes that you have no idea what you want.

You need to research each degree carefully. What careers can each lead to? What exactly will you study? What have you enjoyed so far? You might even consider doing some work experience or seeing a careers advisor.

I don't know what i want

I have done work experience in a few engineering firms i want to go into pharmaceuticals
Either take a gap year or do a lot of research for the next couple of weeks. You don't want to apply for one course and then regret it later. University degrees aren't cheap.
Reply 15
Original post by Legendary Quest
Either take a gap year or do a lot of research for the next couple of weeks. You don't want to apply for one course and then regret it later. University degrees aren't cheap.

I am on a gap year
Original post by Roshany
I am on a gap year

Take another one if you think you could benefit from it.
Original post by Roshany

What kind of role(s) in pharmaceuticals are you looking at? It is a large industry that recruits a wide range of roles across engineering and science.

Was your engineering work experience related to pharmaceuticals? I ask because from what I have heard it is quite unusual to see much crossover between chemistry and chemical engineering. Chemical engineering in industry is often about the design, operation and specification of plant and equipment, and manufacturing of the relevant products. These positions are often called "process engineers".

Although there might be R&D positions or other relevant positions that have a crossover with chemistry. I'm only really aware of process engineers, having worked with them and most chem eng grads I know have wanted to go into these roles.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending