The Student Room Group

2017 Investment Banking Graduate scheme

Scroll to see replies

Although HSBC are displaying a vacancy in Global Banking (IBD) for Graduate positions - I've heard they aren't actually hiring as their summer intern class is really strong. Has anyone else heard the same?
Original post by shandawg
Although HSBC are displaying a vacancy in Global Banking (IBD) for Graduate positions - I've heard they aren't actually hiring as their summer intern class is really strong. Has anyone else heard the same?

No, I've heard the opposite in fact. My friend at HSBC in Research said they're expanding quite a bit in IBD.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by josh_v
Deutsche said I didn't graduate between July 2016 and July 2017. My qualification was awarded in November 2015 by which point it was kind of late to start applications, and given that you can only apply once every 12 months, didn't seem worth it. However, my actual graduation event was July 2016. So it could have been argued either way. But they weren't even interested in listening to me and refused to engage over the phone and ignored my emails.*

EY I sat the tests and didn't get through. Perhaps too slow. I also don't have A-Levels and have all C's at GCSE from 2005 (which seemed to be the reason Deloitte rejected me)*

Aah fair enough and how long did EY take to get back to you? Deloitte it won't be for gcse or a levels because I had7A* and 3A at gcse and AABB at a level I was shocked at the rejection before tests. *
Original post by MichelT
I thought you could only applied to one program at DB? Otherwise I think it's positive with AC coming up. You didn't apply to boutiques?

that's what I thought until I tried it and the system let me do it. *Yeah but thats in assurance so not exactly the field I want. *Applied at Lazard and Evercore although I plan *to apply for more.*
Original post by i have no name
Aah fair enough and how long did EY take to get back to you? Deloitte it won't be for gcse or a levels because I had7A* and 3A at gcse and AABB at a level I was shocked at the rejection before tests. *

My application was strong imo. It was for risk advisory and I believe it was Bristol, so not as competitive as London. I know someone who is currently third year Deloitte in risk and he said it was strong. Relevant MSc in risk, relevant intern experience at Nomura in risk. Only areas where I didn't hit requirements was GCSEs where I have all Cs and A-Levels where I don't have any.*

Not sure of the exact time for rejection by EY, but it was within a week of completing the tests. *
Original post by josh_v
My application was strong imo. It was for risk advisory and I believe it was Bristol, so not as competitive as London. I know someone who is currently third year Deloitte in risk and he said it was strong. Relevant MSc in risk, relevant intern experience at Nomura in risk. Only areas where I didn't hit requirements was GCSEs where I have all Cs and A-Levels where I don't have any.*

Not sure of the exact time for rejection by EY, but it was within a week of completing the tests. *

I'm sure we will *both get somewhere man otherwise I might kill myself and same here I had relevant experience and the right degree just no reason. *What's your strategy if grad schemes don't work out*
Original post by i have no name
I'm sure we will *both get somewhere man otherwise I might kill myself and same here I had relevant experience and the right degree just no reason. *What's your strategy if grad schemes don't work out*

Well so far Ive applied to top 6 accounting firms, and done 12 banks. Got 3 AC/interviews from Wednesday-Monday this week.

After that I'm either going to look at some of the smaller boutique places, although I don't really know anything about them, different industries such as energy companies or insurance, and then other options such as what I get sent through from UCL careers service or from doing the Bloomberg Aptitude Test.*
Original post by josh_v
Well so far Ive applied to top 6 accounting firms, and done 12 banks. Got 3 AC/interviews from Wednesday-Monday this week.

After that I'm either going to look at some of the smaller boutique places, although I don't really know anything about them, different industries such as energy companies or insurance, and then other options such as what I get sent through from UCL careers service or from doing the Bloomberg Aptitude Test.*

sounds like a good idea I need to apply for more accounting firms. *Do you feel a pass has held you back substantially compared to a merit?*
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lay-Z
I also got rejected from deloitte, despite having strong A levels and degree. Got through to next stage of the other 3 big 4, also a handful of banks. I think its because they wanted my AS level grades which weren't great

feel like Deloitte are going out of their way to be *******s this year
Does anyone know of any websites to practice/get better at logical reasoning assessments?
Original post by sleepinglions
Does anyone know of any websites to practice/get better at logical reasoning assessments?

Assessmentday

Which company is this for?
Original post by shandawg
Assessmentday

Which company is this for?

Nomura :smile:

Thank you!
What kind of stuff do top ib firms look for? I got A*A*B at a level and very average gcse s. Will bring at Exeter hold me back much?? What kind of stuff out of education do they want, anyone know?
Original post by Benjiman247
What kind of stuff do top ib firms look for? I got A*A*B at a level and very average gcse s. Will bring at Exeter hold me back much?? What kind of stuff out of education do they want, anyone know?

No one knows for sure, just apply (not much you can do about it anyway)
Has anyone applying for J.P. Morgan Ops grad scheme in London heard back?
Original post by Brownlatte08
Has anyone applying for J.P. Morgan Ops grad scheme in London heard back?

I'm still waiting too

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone heard back for any of the following (all IBD):

UBS Grad (post test)
Morgan Stanley off-cycle (post test & weird workshop invite)
GS Grad
PWP Grad
Citi Off-cycle (post test passed email)
Evercore Grad
Barclays off-cycle (post video interview)
Harris Williams Grad

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone have any information as to when HSBC's graduate programme will be opening for Global Markets? If at all.

Could someone please provide me with contact details to ask their HR,

Thanks
Original post by therealhero
Has anyone heard back for any of the following (all IBD):

UBS Grad (post test)
Morgan Stanley off-cycle (post test & weird workshop invite)
GS Grad
PWP Grad
Citi Off-cycle (post test passed email)
Evercore Grad
Barclays off-cycle (post video interview)
Harris Williams Grad

Thanks!

Rejection from UBS as well now. Apparently they've filled all the roles for CCS/IBD Graduate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chambers10
Anyone have any information as to when HSBC's graduate programme will be opening for Global Markets? If at all.

Could someone please provide me with contact details to ask their HR,

Thanks

Mid octorber mate, there is a date for it on their website

Quick Reply

Latest