The Student Room Group

Should i ditch French GCSE

i have just started year 10 and already are struggling with French. it was the only language offered that I had done before so I had to do it, with no want to.

In lessons I am struggling, pretending that I have left homework at home to get more time to do it. and it takes me about an hour and a half to do a short homework. French is a language that I just don't get
Original post by JamesBedford
i have just started year 10 and already are struggling with French. it was the only language offered that I had done before so I had to do it, with no want to.

In lessons I am struggling, pretending that I have left homework at home to get more time to do it. and it takes me about an hour and a half to do a short homework. French is a language that I just don't get

A foreign language GCSE isn't essential, unless you want to do a language A Level or degree (which I assume you don't), or attend UCL, who require a language to be taken at GCSE. Also, there isn't much point in continuing with a subject if you really hate it, and/or are finding it difficult. Out of interest, if you were to drop French, would you replace it with another subject, or drop it without replacing it? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2

Drop it, see what the alternatives are, I dropped French at GCSE within a month and I never regretted it. I took health and social care instead (which I hated the idea of taking and never wanted to do it but it was my only alternative), I ended up really enjoying it and got a distinction star in it which is the equivenlent of A*. Good luck in your choice

What is it that you don't get? is it the spelling, the grammar...?
ask your teacher for help - that's what they're there for. you can't drop every subject you find difficult.

If you can drop it, and you feel that it would allow you to better allocate your time to your other subjects, then it's probably the best decision. I wish I had the opportunity to, now CA prep is eating up the time that I want to spend on other subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest