The Student Room Group

I'm scared to get a job

I'm 17 years old and I go to college, I'm studying Btec health and social care and functional skills maths. I only need to go into college 2 days a week. When I'm not in college I'm usually at home, in my bedroom on my phone. I don't have many friends and I'm also really shy. I want to get a part time job because I really need money and I hate staying at home so getting a job will keep me busy. But the problem is I'm really scared to get a job. I hate talking to people, and I hate talking on the phone. I get scared that I won't know what to say or I'll just pause and not say anything. I don't go to places like, restaurants, mcdonalds, subway or nandos because I'm scared that I won't know what to say when I order or I might say or do something stupid. I really want a job but this fear of "talking to people'' and "doing something embarrassing" gets in the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Have a look online and see if there are any positions that you can apply for like that. I managed to get my first job by just emailing my CV to a local restaurant. Try not to worry about potentially making mistakes, I know its hard, but every one makes them and its just what makes us human.
Original post by AJGilbert
Have a look online and see if there are any positions that you can apply for like that. I managed to get my first job by just emailing my CV to a local restaurant. Try not to worry about potentially making mistakes, I know its hard, but every one makes them and its just what makes us human.

I agree
Reply 3
No one cares. That's what you need to remember. No one cares when you do something embarrassing or when you order something. You might think that the whole world is staring at you and judging you but that's just not true. People just don't care enough about anyone to judge them that heavily every second.

Think about it- when someone else does something slightly embarrassing, do you care? No, and that's how everyone else feels as well when you talk or when you say something weird or embarrassing. So don't be afraid and get out there and start looking for work and make something of your yourself! The world is pretty much your oyster.

I'm the same age as you and I am pretty shy around new people but I'm becoming way more confident ever since I realised how little people actually judge you. You should believe that you are exceptional and that you will be the best at what you do- that's how I gained confidence.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gr8wizard10
suck it up anyway

Sound, constructive advice there m8 :colonhash:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending