The Student Room Group

Can I take further maths seperately?

fyi - im year10

Last year, they told us set1/2 would take further maths. turns out my school lied. Their only letting set1 take it. currently I'm in set2, (but i didn t revise for maths as too occupied on science as they were setting us).
Im at a grammar school w 7sets, and feel like I wouldnt need to take Alevel maths if I pursued this - i'd rather just take 3, PPE/

Currently I'm making progress, but we're going quickly but doing the same as set1 atm. Is it possible to get either into set1 or do it separately. (they told us they only start the further maths coursework in year11) If it is how?? THANK YOU FOR ALL ADVICE xoxox
Original post by miniminx3310
fyi - im year10

Last year, they told us set1/2 would take further maths. turns out my school lied. Their only letting set1 take it. currently I'm in set2, (but i didn t revise for maths as too occupied on science as they were setting us).
Im at a grammar school w 7sets, and feel like I wouldnt need to take Alevel maths if I pursued this - i'd rather just take 3, PPE/

Currently I'm making progress, but we're going quickly but doing the same as set1 atm. Is it possible to get either into set1 or do it separately. (they told us they only start the further maths coursework in year11) If it is how?? THANK YOU FOR ALL ADVICE xoxox

As a matter of fact, I too was told that I would be taking further maths (I'm in Year 11 and have been in Set 1 through all years), and my school have told us that we are not being entered for further maths due to the new GCSE being as hard as further. This many not apply to your school too but if not, I would recommend that you have a meeting with your school's head of maths and tell them your situation - if you really are determined to do it I'm sure they'll allow you to on the premise that you work hard for it!

Hope that helps:smile:
Original post by miniminx3310
fyi - im year10

I would not consider FM as an alternative to an a level
You can definitely not count further maths as equivalent to an A level, especially if you want to be taken seriously for university, seeing as you would need A level maths (and maybe even A level further maths) to get into maths related uni courses.

I'm doing A level maths for which you have 6 modules, and GCSE further maths is basically just module one. So in a way GCSE further maths is equivalent to 1/6 of an A level if you want to see it that way. Therefore they can't be compared.

I think if you're good at maths (A* quality cos if you can't even get that in normal maths then how would you be able to cope with further) then maybe you can teach yourself and ask to be entered, although I wouldn't recommend it.

Good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest