The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I hate to make a quite obvious point here but no-one should be discussing the answers to any questions for tests that are still open to be taken by others.
how long did it take for the invite for the online tests to come through after submitting the application part?
Original post by theduffman82
I hate to make a quite obvious point here but no-one should be discussing the answers to any questions for tests that are still open to be taken by others.

True dat! I had my dates mixed with another app and thought this one closed on the 30th!
Original post by standarduck
how long did it take for the invite for the online tests to come through after submitting the application part?

Errr, it was just on the next page of the application mate.
Reply 44
Okay wtf,

I was only able to submit 2 competencies and there are 4 listed on the civilservicejobs advert.

Also after completing the numeracy test it just finished the application. I assumed there were 2 online tests.

Im so confused
Original post by Yetix
Okay wtf,

I was only able to submit 2 competencies and there are 4 listed on the civilservicejobs advert.

Also after completing the numeracy test it just finished the application. I assumed there were 2 online tests.

Im so confused

Yeah I think it's just the two and they interview on four perhaps.

Did you not do the verbal test before the numeracy? *
Reply 46
Original post by rebecca_:)
Yeah I think it's just the two and they interview on four perhaps.

Did you not do the verbal test before the numeracy? *

Nope, It was just numeracy.
Reply 47

I thought that myself. Rather silly and counter productive when you're potentially helping your competition

Anyway I've not long finished my application. Reckon my numeracy test went well, verbal not so much but still completed all questions. Just a waiting game now to see how my competencies score
Hello, has anyone applied for an office far from where they live? Do you have a better chance of getting in if you apply for a less competitive city/town? Anyone thinking of relocating? I submitted my application today. The verbal part was tough.*
Reply 49
Original post by Yetix
Okay wtf,

Im so confused

I had the same problem with tests, I was only given the numerical test. I sent them an email and they replied that they've received both tests completed. I replied again and said that there was only 1 test, they replied again and said that they have received two tests... I don't know if manpower has done this correctly but lets see how it pains out.
Hi everyone,

Just finished the application - I like to do things last minute!

Just picking up on a few things some of you guys has commented on..

I believe the word order does count because otherwise there was absolutely no way to distinguish between the answers.. Unless there was more than one correct answer. I managed to answer all of the verbal questions pretty comfortably I thought.

The maths started well but as my mind started to go a bit I started taking too long to get to the answer and ended up guessing three and leaving two all together!

As with every assessment I've done thus far, the maths is going to be my downfall.

Just from reading previous threads for this job/scheme it seems as though there were many more success stories compared with other threads - talking primarily about the Fast Stream thread.

What have people done in terms of location preferences? Presumably London will be the most competitive - but perhaps they'll have more jobs available?
Original post by Eggs and Ham
Hello, has anyone applied for an office far from where they live? Do you have a better chance of getting in if you apply for a less competitive city/town? Anyone thinking of relocating? I submitted my application today. The verbal part was tough.*

I'm in this boat. I live and work in Manchester but have just graduated so really wanting to move away from home.

I've put Stratford, Croydon and Manchester in that order. I'm wondering if you can select your interview location (assuming you get to that stage) or if they automatically put your interview at your first location preference.

I personally wouldn't think in terms of competitiveness - you have no idea how many apply for how many posts. My argument is if they want you they'll have you.
Original post by Jamiebb1993
I'm in this boat. I live and work in Manchester but have just graduated so really wanting to move away from home.

I've put Stratford, Croydon and Manchester in that order. I'm wondering if you can select your interview location (assuming you get to that stage) or if they automatically put your interview at your first location preference.

I personally wouldn't think in terms of competitiveness - you have no idea how many apply for how many posts. My argument is if they want you they'll have you.

Hi Jamie, thanks for your response. I can see that you've picked the two London offices as your top choices. The candidate pack mentioned your no.1 preference will be taken into account. I think for you, going from Manchester to London won't be too much of a big step (lots of Northerners move to London). I've actually made a big gamble and put Belfast as no.1. I live in London, very close to one of the offices in fact. But I'm desperate to move out. The cost of living is super high and London life is very stressful. I'm going to need time to make the move. When do you think the job will start?*
What exactly is this job?

I'm not a grad yet so cant apply but I was considering a career with HMRC, can anyone explain what this role consists of? and would a it suit a Law graduate?
Original post by SirAlexFerguson
What exactly is this job?

I'm not a grad yet so cant apply but I was considering a career with HMRC, can anyone explain what this role consists of? and would a it suit a Law graduate?

From what I understand you only need the equivalent of two A Levels however you also needed to apply by midnight last night!
Reply 55

I don't think there's any way of knowing tbh. In the September 2015 campaign, somebody made a FOI request (on another thread). I can't remember all the details, but there were about 80 positions in Manchester and only 5 for Liverpool. But that may have been only for that campaign?

Lol I have applied for this post and only just found this page today! I can't believe this info was here, including specific questions...

Good luck to everybody! I put Bristol as my first choice. Any other applicants here?

I was completely taken by surprise by both of the tests- they weren't at all what I was expecting. I found the numerical one okay and managed to complete it, but that verbal one was a bloody nightmare...I've always struggled with that type of question, and that cheese question really confused me!

I'm also quiet worried about my competencies. I think my leading competency was good, but I'm not sure if my making effective decisions competency is quite what they're after, so I'm a bit on edge!

I hope we all hear soon.
Original post by dagoro1
I don't think there's any way of knowing tbh. In the September 2015 campaign, somebody made a FOI request (on another thread). I can't remember all the details, but there were about 80 positions in Manchester and only 5 for Liverpool. But that may have been only for that campaign?

In this instance, I think they should mention how many places there are per location. It's very misleading to only have 5 positions for one location and 80 for another without explicitly advertising this.*
Reply 58
In this instance, I think they should mention how many places there are per location. It's very misleading to only have 5 positions for one location and 80 for another without explicitly advertising this.*

I agree. But just going off my experience of this recruitment process, I don't think they actually know how many positions are available until much further on in the process. In Liverpool, they were literally interviewing all day, every day for a fortnight.....for what turned out to be 5 available positions. And then a few months later, another campaign comes out...
Original post by Jamiebb1993
From what I understand you only need the equivalent of two A Levels however you also needed to apply by midnight last night!

I see :tongue:

No I meant that I want to finish Uni before starting work :colone: but was asking for future reference

Latest