The Student Room Group

Drama Monologue Help?

I have to do a bass line test for my course in two weeks does anyone know any monologues that they think would be good?
I'm a female in year 12 so i would prefer female roles and the themes I was given were:
Dark (Humour)
Dramatic
Anger
Or anything that isn't really lighthearted would be a great help!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

Just quoting in Alisaurus Cats so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:

Spoiler

Original post by Artemis_Masumi
I have to do a bass line test for my course in two weeks does anyone know any monologues that they think would be good?
I'm a female in year 12 so i would prefer female roles and the themes I was given were:
Dark (Humour)
Dramatic
Anger
Or anything that isn't really lighthearted would be a great help!

Hiya,

Plays I can think of would be:

Medea - she is a very strong, dark character and it's interesting to note that while she does something so horrific, the Gods still rescue her at the end (which is unlikely in Greek tragedy)

Taming of the Shrew - I think this is a great subversive play and shouldn't be read that Kate has been broken, but that she enjoys playing submissive - which means she is actually the one who is in control. There is a great speech at the end of the book.

House of Bernada Alba - lots of commentary on female oppression with a great mix of characters

Or you could take a typically male character and subvert it by putting a female slant - Prospero from The Tempest would be a good example

Hope those help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest