The Student Room Group

Do you hold a positive or negative view of the United States?

Poll

What's your perception of the United States?

I'm an American and I lived in the UK (in St Albans near London) for about a year during an exchange program and during that time I heard a lot of positive things about the US and some negative things. I would love to hear what you think of the USA and what you think of Americans.

My perception of the UK was that the people are more reserved but very friendly. The country itself is quite cool because you can travel between major cities quite quickly and the public transport in the London area was really good. Your houses are absolutely tiny though (how do you live in them?) but the good thing is that I also saw less homelessness in the UK.

(Guys, I'm not actually the Trump supporting Muslim hater that I might come across in my troll threads haha. I like most Muslims and I am currently stuck between voting for Clinton or Trump)
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Most UK people hate on the USA just to feel big or good about themselves, whereas I love America. The free speech, the right to bear arms, how many cities are huge economies in their own ways, low taxes, and an extremely geographically diverse country.

Most Brits are just jealous, and secretly they hate that we are being cucked by the US.
I see Trump as a bit of an intelligence test...so far they seem to be failing
Original post by cashcash871
I'm an American and I lived in the UK (in St Albans near London) for about a year during an exchange program and during that time I heard a lot of positive things about the US and some negative things. I would love to hear what you think of the USA and what you think of Americans.

My perception of the UK was that the people are more reserved but very friendly. The country itself is quite cool because you can travel between major cities quite quickly and the public transport in the London area was really good. Your houses are absolutely tiny though (how do you live in them?) but the good thing is that I also saw less homelessness in the UK.

(Guys, I'm not actually the Trump supporting Muslim hater that I might come across in my troll threads haha. I like most Muslims and I am currently stuck between voting for Clinton or Trump)

I would respect a Trump America but not a Hillary politically correct, universities running courses like "stop the whites", safe spaces and trigger warning America which is completely nuts and bonkers 🎯

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lollypop100
I would respect a Trump America but not a Hillary politically correct, universities running courses like "stop the whites", safe spaces and trigger warning America which is completely nuts and bonkers 🎯

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree with this to an extent, and I like the fact that Trump is against illegal immigration and political correctness. But what I don't like about Trump is his economic policy. I feel that globalisation can bring benefits to America but we aren't doing it right. Many of the trade deals that the Obama administration has signed, like NAFTA and TPP, aren't ensuring a fair deal for American workers but protectionism isn't the answer either. The tariffs will actually hurt working and middle class Americans the most. I would prefer a candidate like Mitt Romney or Marco Rubio- someone who is clearly in favour of free markets and fair free trade, but also conservative on social issues like illegal immigration.

I don't feel like either candidate is offering that exact combination in this election. And this is the first time I'll be voting. I fear that another term with the Democrats will make America no longer the country of freedom, liberty, opportunity,msmall government, low taxation, low welfare spending.
(edited 7 years ago)

Well to be honest with you, my opinion (based on media, news, reality tv) is as follows:
I find Americans to be loud, proud, brash and somewhat lack international awareness (from all the youtube vids of where is the UK/Canada/Australia and the people have a hard time finding them) and a lot of you guys have quite a US-centric view of the world (ie the US is the center of the world)
Country wise I find the US to be a land of opportunity but equally a very unforgiving environment.
I'm in love with Canada though :tongue:
Ps: you do have better houses than us here and better weather, and I despise how the s in words like realise are turned in z (even on tsr :angry:)
(edited 7 years ago)
I do agree with this to an extent, and I like the fact that Trump is against illegal immigration and political correctness. But what I don't like about Trump is his economic policy. I feel that globalisation can bring benefits to America but we aren't doing it right. Many of the trade deals that the Obama administration has signed, like NAFTA and TPP, aren't ensuring a fair deal for American workers but protectionism isn't the answer either. The tariffs will actually hurt working and middle class Americans the most. I would prefer a candidate like Mitt Romney or Marco Rubio- someone who is clearly in favour of free markets and fair free trade, but also conservative on social issues like illegal immigration.

I don't feel like either candidate is offering that exact combination in this election. And this is the first time I'll be voting lol

The one very attractive thing about America is the guarantee of absolute freedom of speech. However I think this is being slowly removed. They recently arrested and tried a guy for wearing a gorilla suit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by richpanda
Most UK people hate on the USA just to feel big or good about themselves, whereas I love America. The free speech, the right to bear arms, how many cities are huge economies in their own ways, low taxes, and an extremely geographically diverse country.

Most Brits are just jealous, and secretly they hate that we are being cucked by the US.

I find it so pathetic that you have used the term "cucked" when describing two countries. It makes my skin crawl, my advice; you need to get out into the real world, and fast.

You obviously like the US because it fits your right wing ideology. Surely you can understand that not everyone shares your views, and that difference maybe due to something other than jealousy, but perhaps a better moral compass.

I dislike the US in general OP, Canada all the way.
Original post by Al-farhan
Well to be honest with you, my opinion (based on media, news, reality tv) is as follows:
I find Americans to be loud, proud, brash and somewhat lack international awareness (from all the youtube vids of where is the UK/Canada/Australia and the people have a hard time finding them) and a lot of you guys have quite a US-centric view of the world (ie the US is the center of the world)
Country wise I find the US to be a land of opportunity but equally a very unforgiving environment.
I'm in love with Canada though :tongue:
Ps: you do have better houses than us here and better weather, and I despise how the s in words like realise are turned in z (even on tsr :angry:)

Thanks for your opinion! I do realise that Americans tend to have a less international outlook but it's not as bad as those YouTube videos. They usually delete a large amount of the correct answers to focus on the bad ones haha. I'm sure most Americans, even less educated ones, know where Canada is. Every high school in the US has a world map and we do learn basic world geography. But we do have a lot of idiots. I would say that we have the same proportion of idiots as the UK but our idiots tend to be even more idiotic lol

I definitely agree that we are loud and proud of being Americans. I am very patriotic myself and so are most people even in my state (California) which is considered less patriotic by American standards.
Reply 9
The Americans are very arrogant as a general rule.
They see themselves as better than everyone else.
They seem to believe they saved the world in both world wars.
They seem to believe they have earned the right to control the world and do control the world.
Obesity is rife, it is rare to see a thin American.
The houses are built out of cardboard.... well wood but I mean that's not a decent building material.
They speak American-English and set that as standard English so, for example, if you ask Google translate what pants are it translates to trousers not underwear.
The average IQ of America is quite low really and I mean it's not seen as a bad thing in America to be an idiot whereas here you would be ashamed if people thought you were ridiculously stupid.
They also enjoy bigging themselves up and telling everyone that they're the best.
They see the war on terror as a personal thing when in reality it is a global thing with effort from across the globe but, yet again America place themselves at the forefront.
And also the naming of towns. They were for the most part named after places in the UK and other countries that had colonies in America. Which is just kinda annoying when you're looking for the village down the road Google maps takes you to the middle of America.
As for spelling incorrect grammar. Ugh it's just painful to read American books and documents.
And then there's comedy. My sister decided to watch an American 'comedy' the other day. She's quite young so chose 'Peewee's holiday' And it was the most painful thing I have ever sat through. Seriously it is just a rip off of Mr Bean except not even half as funny and they repeated the same joke about 5 times or the same act e.g. stands up and hits head on something, so ducks and does it again, and again, and again and again. You get my point. And it is not just the children's comedies I'm talking about it is the adult ones too with repeated lines again and again. It is just so bad.

So yeah, as you can probably guess I'm not a fan.
I would have a more positive view of America if Americans weren't so damned fat. You didn't become the most obese nation on the planet (asides for some tiny countries) by accident. Maybe a little less pizza and a little bit more exercise would improve America'a international reputation.
Original post by Twinpeaks
I find it so pathetic that you have used the term "cucked" when describing two countries. It makes my skin crawl, my advice; you need to get out into the real world, and fast.

You obviously like the US because it fits your right wing ideology. Surely you can understand that not everyone shares your views, and that difference maybe due to something other than jealousy, but perhaps a better moral compass.

Aw did you get triggered? So people always talking about how "stupid' Americans are is because of a moral compass? No, it's just pure jealousy of a more successful country.
Original post by Twinpeaks

I wouldn't say that the US is a right wing country. America is very varied in political views and the Northeast and the West Coast are very liberal, much like Canada except for the free healthcare. The right wing perception comes from the South and south west which are heavily conservative. Major cities are also very liberal and tolerant. America itself is becoming more liberal- young Americans tend to be a lot more liberal.
(edited 7 years ago)
american girls > british girls

Unfortunately thats it.
Positive and negative.

Positive, because they've contributed a lot to this world.

Negative, because they act like they're the world's police force.
Thanks for your opinion! I do realise that Americans tend to have a less international outlook but it's not as bad as those YouTube videos. They usually delete a large amount of the correct answers to focus on the bad ones haha. I'm sure most Americans, even less educated ones, know where Canada is. Every high school in the US has a world map and we do learn basic world geography. But we do have a lot of idiots. I would say that we have the same proportion of idiots as the UK but our idiots tend to be even more idiotic lol

I definitely agree that we are loud and proud of being Americans. I am very patriotic myself and so are most people even in my state (California) which is considered less patriotic by American standards.

Well I hope you don't report back home that ''the brits hate our guts''
Original post by Lollypop100
I thought it was feminists who act like they are the worlds police force?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, bruv. :tongue:
I've just come back from a week on holiday over in Austin, TX which is the first time I've been to the states as an adult. I work with several Americans however.

My POV on the USA is generally positive. Yes, America is far from perfect but then there's very few nations that I'd say are above the US in most aspects. I certainly found the Americans we met in Austin very friendly (as a bloke, it's not often you get drinks bought for you but it happened several times on nights out in Austin) & were easy to chat to. We never saw any trouble over there. Going to one of the shooting ranges over there was a whole new experience; the range staff were chilled & getting to fire some of the weaponry, such as an AR-15 rifle with no direct supervision was interesting. I can't quite get my head around why you'd need such a powerful weapon system for home use but on the range it was great fun.

There's no doubt in my mind that, throughout the 20th Century at least, the USA has been a force for good: many of conflicts America has fought in, such as the two World Wars, Korea, the Cold War & the 1991 Gulf War, are testament to the strength of its military & industrial base. Other conflicts, such as Vietnam, didn't go so well but much of that can be attributed to the political landscape of the 1960s/70s. I believe Western Europe, if not the world, owes Reagan (and Thatcher to an extent) a debt for the relatively peaceful destruction of the USSR during the late 1980s/early 90s. The "global policeman" role comes with much criticism & certainly some of it is relevant, especially after the 2003 Iraq invasion, but despite that fiasco, I believe the USA is far more suited to military intervention than the Russians or Chinese. Both of those nations seem to hold Western style democracy in contempt.

Some of my criticisms of the USA are as follows:
- Obesity
- Very expensive healthcare which increases poverty
- Racial tension that, although has improved, is still far from perfect
- Lack of global awareness/intelligence & an obsession with celebrities (although this seems to be expanding to the UK too)
- Homelessness; iI noticed more homeless people around Austin than anywhere in the UK including London. Apparently, LA is even worse.

I do think the way in which the USA treats it's former & serving members of the military is excellent. It's somewhat crazy that, as a member of the UK armed forces you actually get treated better in America than you do in Britain.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BobSausage
The Americans are very arrogant as a general rule.
They see themselves as better than everyone else.
They seem to believe they saved the world in both world wars.
They seem to believe they have earned the right to control the world and do control the world.
Obesity is rife, it is rare to see a thin American.
The houses are built out of cardboard.... well wood but I mean that's not a decent building material.
They speak American-English and set that as standard English so, for example, if you ask Google translate what pants are it translates to trousers not underwear.
The average IQ of America is quite low really and I mean it's not seen as a bad thing in America to be an idiot whereas here you would be ashamed if people thought you were ridiculously stupid.
They also enjoy bigging themselves up and telling everyone that they're the best.
They see the war on terror as a personal thing when in reality it is a global thing with effort from across the globe but, yet again America place themselves at the forefront.
And also the naming of towns. They were for the most part named after places in the UK and other countries that had colonies in America. Which is just kinda annoying when you're looking for the village down the road Google maps takes you to the middle of America.
As for spelling incorrect grammar. Ugh it's just painful to read American books and documents.
And then there's comedy. My sister decided to watch an American 'comedy' the other day. She's quite young so chose 'Peewee's holiday' And it was the most painful thing I have ever sat through. Seriously it is just a rip off of Mr Bean except not even half as funny and they repeated the same joke about 5 times or the same act e.g. stands up and hits head on something, so ducks and does it again, and again, and again and again. You get my point. And it is not just the children's comedies I'm talking about it is the adult ones too with repeated lines again and again. It is just so bad.

So yeah, as you can probably guess I'm not a fan.

Thanks for your opinion! Maybe you'll like Canada? It's more liberal and less imperialistic. But I don't agree that Americans have a lower IQ. Americans themselves originate mainly from Europe (including the UK) and Africa so a lot of Americans have similar genetics to Europeans. There are many intelligent Americans who have invested and discovered cool things that have changed the world. There are also many idiotic Americans of course!
Original post by Quantex
I would have a more positive view of America if Americans weren't so damned fat. You didn't become the most obese nation on the planet (asides for some tiny countries) by accident. Maybe a little less pizza and a little bit more exercise would improve America'a international reputation.

I have to agree with you on this one! And msot Americans are aware of this, they just don't care haha
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tempest II
I've just come back from a week on holiday over in Austin, TX which is the first time I've been to the states as an adult. I work with several Americans however.

My POV on the USA is generally positive. Yes, America is far from perfect but then there's very few nations that I'd say are above the US in most aspects. I certainly found the Americans we met in Austin very friendly (as a bloke, it's not often you get drinks bought for you but it happened several times on nights out in Austin) & were easy to chat to. We never saw any trouble over there. Going to one of the shooting ranges over there was a whole new experience; the range staff were chilled & getting to fire some of the weaponry, such as an AR-15 rifle with no direct supervision was interesting. I can't quite get my head around why you'd need such a powerful weapon system for home use but on the range it was great fun.

There's no doubt in my mind that, throughout the 20th Century at least, the USA has been a force for good: many of conflicts America has fought in, such as the two World Wars, Korea, the Cold War & the 1991 Gulf War, are testament to the strength of its military & industrial base. Other conflicts, such as Vietnam, didn't go so well but much of that can be attributed to the political landscape of the 1960s/70s. I believe Western Europe, if not the world, owes Reagan (and Thatcher to an extent) a debt for the relatively peaceful destruction of the USSR during the late 1980s/early 90s. The "global policeman" role comes with much criticism & certainly some of it is relevant, especially after the 2003 Iraq invasion, but despite that fiasco, I believe the USA is far more suited to military intervention than the Russians or Chinese. Both of those nations seem to hold Western style democracy in contempt.

Some of my criticisms of the USA are as follows:
- Obesity
- Very expensive healthcare which increases poverty
- Racial tension that, although has improved, is still far from perfect
- Lack of global awareness/intelligence & an obsession with celebrities (although this seems to be expanding to the UK too)
- Homelessness; iI noticed more homeless people around Austin than anywhere in the UK including London. Apparently, LA is even worse.

I do think the way in which the USA treats it's former & serving members of the military is excellent. It's somewhat crazy that, as a member of the UK armed forces you actually get treated better in America than you do in Britain.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! I agree so much withy our point about celebrities- I still can't understand why our news channel include celebrity gossip alongside news about Syria

You could have gone somewhere more interesting than Austin though- we have NYC and LA and Chicago too!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply