The Student Room Group

C3 HW help

Im stuck on this question:

Show that the composite function gf is (8x^3 - 1) / (1 - 2x^3)

f(x)= 1 - 2x^3
g(x)=(3/x) - 4

I subbed f into g but didnt get it
any help appreciated

also, solve gf(x)=0, if i set it = 0 then i cant bring anything across, do i have to factorise and cancel down the bottom maybe?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by not_lucas1

f(x)= 1 - 2x^3
g(x)=(3/x) - 4

I subbed f into g but didnt get it
any help appreciated

also, solve gf(x)=0, if i set it = 0 then i cant bring anything across, do i have to factorise and cancel down the bottom maybe?

You need to put 1-2x^3 where the x is in g(x) and then put it all over the same denominator
(edited 7 years ago)

0 times anything is 0 so when you multiply up by the denominator you just get the numerator =0
Original post by tiny hobbit
You need to put 1-2x^3 where the x is in g(x) and then put it all over the same denominator

i did and i didnt get the same answer
Reply 4
i did and i didnt get the same answer

Did you get this? You'd only have to distribute and simplify.

gf(x)=g(f(x))=g(12x3)=312x34=34(12x3)12x3g\circ f(x)=g(f(x))=g(1-2x^{ 3 })=\frac { 3 }{ 1-2x^{ 3 } } -4=\frac { 3-4(1-2x^{ 3 }) }{ 1-2x^{ 3 } }
Original post by MartyO
Did you get this? You'd only have to distribute and simplify.

gf(x)=g(f(x))=g(12x3)=312x34=34(12x3)12x3g\circ f(x)=g(f(x))=g(1-2x^{ 3 })=\frac { 3 }{ 1-2x^{ 3 } } -4=\frac { 3-4(1-2x^{ 3 }) }{ 1-2x^{ 3 } }

No but I think you're correct. I didnt think to put 4/1 and then make it a common denominator (i think that is what you have done anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest