The Student Room Group

How to get a first class degree?

I'm a second year student doing business management. I am finding very hard to manage my time at the university and I really want to get a first class this year.
I got 55% in my first year. Can someone please give me some tips on how can I get a first class? What are the things that I am ganno have to do in order to do well this year. Thanks
Original post by Moongirl950
I'm a second year student doing business management. I am finding very hard to manage my time at the university and I really want to get a first class this year.
I got 55% in my first year. Can someone please give me some tips on how can I get a first class? What are the things that I am ganno have to do in order to do well this year. Thanks

Well I got a first in my Economics degree a few years ago.I think the key for me was to keep up to date and be structured and organised through the semister. This made it easier for me to take one/two weeks off in the holidays and then study for the exams.I got a first in the first year, then 65ish% in the second year(was borderline 2:2 after the first semister in year 2) and this gave me a little kick to try and get a first. I ended up with a first overall with 7/8 modules being a first in my final year. I think I find that people who tend to do better have a rough plan in place and execute it well or have good exam technique and understand what the examiner is looking for and I think both are needed to get a good grade at University tbh. I still use similar techniques for the further qualifications I am doing now.
Reply 2
Original post by samiz20891
Well I got a first in my Economics degree a few years ago.I think the key for me was to keep up to date and be structured and organised through the semister. This made it easier for me to take one/two weeks off in the holidays and then study for the exams.I got a first in the first year, then 65ish% in the second year(was borderline 2:2 after the first semister in year 2) and this gave me a little kick to try and get a first. I ended up with a first overall with 7/8 modules being a first in my final year. I think I find that people who tend to do better have a rough plan in place and execute it well or have good exam technique and understand what the examiner is looking for and I think both are needed to get a good grade at University tbh. I still use similar techniques for the further qualifications I am doing now.

Thanks for the reply. I am just depressed as I think I will fail this year, I am reading the lecture notes and using the recommended books. Tbh I recently had a meeting with my personal tutor and she kind of demotivated me. She was being a racist :frown:
Reply 3
I got a first in Computer Science.

Here are 3 tips that I can give you

Time Management
Start coursework early but also give time for each one. Breakdown your work into chunks for example "Do the first 2 pages of my essay" and then give a feasible deadline to complete it by. This could go in a spreadsheet or just scribbled down somewhere you can see it. It's also good to keep a diary keeping track of the things you did so you know what you did on that day so you can continue without getting confused. Allocate your time into slots, make sure you have breaks and don't overwork yourself with revision.

Communication with lecturers
One of the things I've learned is that lecturers are there to help you and people are too afraid to contact them or approach them. if you want a good coursework grade, make sure you ask them what is needed to get a first for example. Keep pestering them to get a lot of information, like writing style, things to include, etc... And of course if you don't understand something, send them an email and find out! I got a first in every single module in my final year and because I kept annoying all my lecturers on how to get a first :biggrin:

Stay motivated
This is quite hard to keep going for the year but you need to stay strong and tell yourself that you want this first. When you stay positive, you'll find yourself more motivated to study and work harder. Not much I can say apart from never give up!
Subbing to this thread for future reference :smile:
Reply 5
Remember that if you want a job after graduating then work experience and extra curriculars are even more important than degree class - make sure you work on those things as well.
Reply 7
I got a first in my degree with similar first year grades to you

only advice i could give you is get lucky.
The obvious things are being organised, working consistently and listening to feedback.

However I think the best advice I can give is don't spend the duration of your degree parroting your lecture notes or prescribed reading back to the lecturer. It's the hallmark of an average student. Look to fill as much of your essays and exam answers with material that is relevant but was not covered.
Go above and beyond, in the creativity of identifying unforeseen connections between well-trodden texts and new approaches. And of course, over-deliver on all other aspects.
I read this thread on how to get a first when I started my degree last year. It's 8 pages and has some pretty good information. It helped a lot - and I got a first in my first year which I'm planning on getting in my second and third year too.
We were told it was the elusive 'flair'. Roughly translated, this is more than just extra reading. It's being concise, succinct - a laser focus on the question that has been asked and a reasoned, developed answer supported by well chosen and credible sources. It's also about being unafraid to venture your own opinion and synthesis - even it it's not right, so long as it's well reasoned and argued cogently.

It's also true time management is crucial. You cannot possibly read everything, so deciding what to read, and more importantly, what not to read and manage that in the time available is pretty important.
When reading, should we be making notes? What's the best way to make notes and memorise them? Is 8 hours a day in hour blocks sufficient?

Thank you everyone!
Original post by heshamkisher
When reading, should we be making notes? What's the best way to make notes and memorise them? Is 8 hours a day in hour blocks sufficient?

Thank you everyone!

There's no magic formula that works for everybody. By the time you're at uni you should know the revision methods that work for you.

What you mention there isn't necessary for everyone. For example, I never made notes while revising and the maximum I'd spend going over something a day was 4 hours and I still got a first.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Unfortunately for you business management sounds like something that evolves essay writing and lots of information retention, so that's quite difficult. Maybe try to get a hold of some first-class essays and try to work out what makes them appealing to the marker.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending