The Student Room Group

Tuition fees heading over £9,500

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cranbrook_aspie
Goodbye, financial security whenever my income crosses the 20k threshold!

I don't think you know what 'security' means. You pay back a small percentage of your annual income, provided that you get to keep a reasonable income completely in reserve.

To say 'goodbye to financial security' on the basis that there will be an additional £1500 on your debt, to be paid back on the above terms, is hilarious. In many cases this will make precisely zero difference to how much students pay back, and in most cases will make no difference to students' repayments for a good few years at least.
I think a lot of people basically the vast majority of people in society miss the obvious point and it often makes my blood boil. I am fed up of consistently hearing about capitalism.

We do not live in a capitalistic society none of this is capitalism Banks are allowed to lend out money that has never existed and does not exist and then to charge interest on that. The money we are been lent for the student loans etc is money that is made up. When young people are given government subsidized loans it artificially boosts the price. Which creates a dilemma do we continue this route in which case it is not free market it is been inflated by artificial means and therefore prices continue to rise or do we just leave the whole thing to the free market in which case people from poorer backgrounds will forever be restricted due to not been able to get places.

A large extent of the problem is that the government cannot bear the burden of subsidizing completely all young people who go to university. because a much larger percentage are going now this combined with the current climate leads to escalating tuition fees. The way to combat this would be to filter out what degrees have utility to society and economic value. These could be subsidized either with been free or discounted or the current student loan whilst weaker degrees that do not have the same vigor utility or employment rate etc should not be funded. Others have mentioned completely scrapping these. I think if someone has the money and they are willing to pay £10,000 or more a year out of their own pocket to do a degree in gender studies or maybe something with a little more utility Mickey mouse studies then more power to them. However this shouldn't be state funded or subsidized as it increases the cost for everyone and devalues everyone's degree. This also applies to weak degrees in stem subjects I need to get AAA or better to get onto a decent course for mathmatics. some of the ABB courses are acceptable but not desirable. However I found one course that excepts CCE now in all seriousness that degree is not going to hold much value.

I am not sure if someone with maths further maths and additional further maths to AAA grade or better would not have pretty much covered the whole content of that degree already? maybe the first two years but come on its a joke.

provided tuition fees stay below £10,000 for when i start which will be in 2018/2019 I should be ok.
Reply 62
A rise from £9k to £9.5k is quite negligible. It's only 500 quid, a year. We know we don't have to pay the 9K until we earn over 21k, so why should charging us 9.5K make us 'worse off' in the long term? It will just mean having to pay the student loan back for a bit longer, maybe a month or two. So why should the extra 500 quid be a deal breaker as to whether or not you go to university, especially since student finance are paying, and it's not directly coming out of your pocket? Just a thought...
Original post by Voi
A rise from £9k to £9.5k is quite negligible. It's only 500 quid, a year. We know we don't have to pay the 9K until we earn over 21k, so why should charging us 9.5K make us 'worse off' in the long term? It will just mean having to pay the student loan back for a bit longer, maybe a month or two. So why should the extra 500 quid be a deal breaker as to whether or not you go to university, especially since student finance are paying, and it's not directly coming out of your pocket? Just a thought...

Well I agree with this, the issue is though about it going higher and higher 9500 isn't that different to 9000 sure but then 10000 isnt that different to 9500 and 10500 isnt that different to 10000 and we can keep going like this until we get very large numbers. it all adds up and it is increasing consistently. if we were talking about once tuition fees hit £9500 or even £10000 that they would be frozen there for say a decade your right not a big deal. the issue is though that in ten years time tuition fees could be above £20,000. Though if figures continue to rise at the 3.2% rate of inflation (what they state it may well be different) we would be looking at just under £12000 within ten years.
Original post by #ChaosKass
Good, and may they continue to rise.

**** you you selfish inconsiderate *****

Posted from TSR Mobile
First they bring it up to £9000, then they scrap maintenance grants for loans and now they're bringing uni fees up again?

They really are taking the piss.
Reply 66

did you even go to university lady?
And the people raising these fees probably paid little to no money to go to university, with a healthy job market to go into once they graduate :colonhash:
Original post by unaManzana
**** you you selfish inconsiderate *****

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're the selfish one - wanting the taxpayer to fund your education.

Did you go straight out of mandatory education into a job, pay for your university entirely out of your own pocket? If not you're likely just as "selfish" as the people you berate.
(edited 7 years ago)

On that point though if tuition fees go up that means the tax payer will be paying more surely? the net utility for a degree remains the same yet the price goes up which means the odds of paying it back in full goes down and for those that would not be able to pay it back they are now paying less of it back.

I'm not against the idea that people should fund their own degrees. Nor am I against the idea of the free market. However it is hardly the free market when it is saturated with debt from fiat currency, and if it is not saturated with debt and students have to pay the full whack the only ones who get to go to university are rich kids.

I just feel the whole tuition fees thing is a very nuanced and complex issue which can be argued from various sides and these binary invidious responses do little for the overall utility of the conversation.
Original post by The Good Doctor
Lol. Good luck to anyone studying Fashion Design or anything with the word "studies" on the end of their degree title. You'll need it if you're going to pay off your uni loan.

Lol Pipe down son
Original post by bassbabe
Lol Pipe down son

I guess you're one of those people then

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not a loan. It's basically a graduate tax. Higher education usually leads to far more lucrative, and enjoyable professions. Suck it up, the tax payer funded your education.
Reply 74
We have a great system here.
Make everyone stay in school until they are 18 for free, even if they would rather leave earlier and go to work. (Makes the unemployment figures look better). Or put them into 'apprenticeships at well below minimum wage.
Charge for further education as university or other tuition fees, but lend them the money, so ordinary people can saddle themselves with a massive debt. A small minority will manage to use their degree or other qualification to get a better job and pay it back. The rest will probably either just earn enough to pay it back, but be unable to save for a home or a better life or even not earn enough to ever pay it back. They will be more knowledgeable about it though.

Lets make education an economic choice.

Can I ask why you feel like this?
Original post by blue2337
Like, no? An absolute ton of jobs now have started stipulating a degree in order to advance in that job - take being in the police force for example. Before, you could join the force straight out of higher education and progress if you worked hard. Now, you have to have a degree and have studied policing and law enforcement before you'll even be considered. That's one example in thousands. To get into basically any field you have to have years of experience, a BA and usually an MA behind you. If your life plans involve working your way up through the ranks of a company with little education then that's possible, yes, but for maybe 1 in 100 people? The other 99 spend their entire adult lives at the bottom of said company, wishing they'd graduated with a better degree. Simply 'not going' to avoid costs isn't an option for 90% of students so your generalisations are pretty useless.

I know a lot of people who didn't go to uni but have decent careers. There are plenty of jobs where vocational courses or even just work experience are much more important. It's a very middle-class and small-minded idea to think that you need a degree to have a good life.
Probably about the time students should finally stand up and tell the universities to shove it where the sun don't shine and not go to university. Hit the universities where it counts. The scandalous institutions deserve to be crippled for their treatment of students
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I know a lot of people who didn't go to uni but have decent careers. There are plenty of jobs where vocational courses or even just work experience are much more important. It's a very middle-class and small-minded idea to think that you need a degree to have a good life.

It's a forum full of students, the majority of which haven't worked and seem to imagine that it's a degree or unemployment with no middle ground. Realistically, there are people without degrees in decent jobs, and people with degrees doing entry level jobs.
Reply 79
oh wow! higher than what am paying in South Africa.... this is so unfair though:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending