The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2016/17

Scroll to see replies

How would you revise for advanced higher chemistry? I revised the same way I revised for higher and Nat 5 but failed our first A/B assessment - first time I've failed something tbh :dontknow:
But yeah how do you study at uni for chem? In Nat 5 I studied by going over notes and in Higher I studied via notes and past papers equally. Thanks. :smile: Also been hella busy with UCAS and have fallen behind in everything. My maths teacher was screaming at our class because we didn't get anything. :frown: I just feel like dropping out rn. Chemistry probably the best out of my 3 advanced highers so was kinda gutted with my test results.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nuba123
How would you revise for advanced higher chemistry? I revised the same way I revised for higher and Nat 5 but failed our first A/B assessment - first time I've failed something tbh :dontknow:
But yeah how do you study at uni for chem? In Nat 5 I studied by going over notes and in Higher I studied via notes and past papers equally. Thanks. :smile: Also been hella busy with UCAS and have fallen behind in everything. My maths teacher was screaming at our class because we didn't get anything. :frown: I just feel like dropping out rn. Chemistry probably the best out of my 3 advanced highers so was kinda gutted with my test results.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Past papers and scholar are great. keep up to date with it though, I had to cram and it wasn't fun
Original post by Mystery.
someone help me with these please?????????/

In 2002, astronomers observed a red giant star flash 10 000 times brighter than normal. Its electromagnetic spectrum revealed an intense crimson red line, wavelength 670·7 nm

in the answer scheme they have done E=LHC/1000lambda but i don't understand why its 1000 when the question states its 10000?

The 1000 has nothing to with how intense the star flash is. It's to do with moles if iirc . Read the question carefully and see what its asking you to come up with.
Original post by Nuba123
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd focus on understanding the content rather than just remembering stuff. Of course there is a certain amount of stuff that needs to be memorised which comes up every year (like the question about which compound is amphoteric). Do plenty of questions from the textbook/revision guides, I wouldn't recommend using past papers this early in the year. Do you have the bright red book for Advanced Higher? It was really good for chemistry, I don't know if there is a new one for the new advanced higher though

Also post anything you're not sure of (questions or general concepts) on here and we will try to help you understand
Original post by Zain-A
Past papers and scholar are great. keep up to date with it though, I had to cram and it wasn't fun

It's still early days so I guess it's good that I've realised now that my progress isn't good. I'm going to start using scholar but I feel like it's a bit over the top at times. Bit too early for pastpapers as my understanding is a bit poor. So I'm just going to make mind maps about spectroscopy, shapes of molecules, etc. After which I'll start past papers.

Thanks for the advice! If you don't mind me asking what did you get last year? And what did you get for the project?
Original post by langlitz
I'd focus on understanding the content rather than just remembering stuff. Of course there is a certain amount of stuff that needs to be memorised which comes up every year (like the question about which compound is amphoteric). Do plenty of questions from the textbook/revision guides, I wouldn't recommend using past papers this early in the year. Do you have the bright red book for Advanced Higher? It was really good for chemistry, I don't know if there is a new one for the new advanced higher though

Also post anything you're not sure of (questions or general concepts) on here and we will try to help you understand

I've not ordered any books yet. I know some books are coming out in November so I thought I'd wait till then but I guess it's worth buying the bright red one for my subjects. I'm just going to check now if there's a new one. :smile: And okay thank you! I'm to actually start revising now once I've polished my personal statement. Today I should be producing a final draft. I honestly can't wait to catch up. My confidence has just dropped after that but I really need an A in Adv. Higher chemistry. :'(
Original post by langlitz

Also just wondering is it the bright red study guide or revision that was good?
Original post by Nuba123
It's still early days so I guess it's good that I've realised now that my progress isn't good. I'm going to start using scholar but I feel like it's a bit over the top at times. Bit too early for pastpapers as my understanding is a bit poor. So I'm just going to make mind maps about spectroscopy, shapes of molecules, etc. After which I'll start past papers.

Thanks for the advice! If you don't mind me asking what did you get last year? And what did you get for the project?

I got an A, but the projects as a whole were marked terribly so I don't know how to give advice on that. I got 21/30 which is not bad but low when compared with previous years with similar projects.
Original post by Zain-A
I got an A, but the projects as a whole were marked terribly so I don't know how to give advice on that. I got 21/30 which is not bad but low when compared with previous years with similar projects.

Well done! And yeah, I'm really worried about projects -my teacher was saying that the highest in the class last year was 25/30 with many people getting scores like 11 r 15. :frown: The projects are way more confusing than H. Plus I really hope I don't make any stupid mistakes but knowing myself that's a given. So it's all about being careful especially with chemistry because you need have every little detail on point.
Original post by Nuba123
Also just wondering is it the bright red study guide or revision that was good?

I have the bright red book and it's not bad. Not as good as the How to pass books but we don't get them anymore :'(
Original post by .......Jeff458
I have the bright red book and it's not bad. Not as good as the How to pass books but we don't get them anymore :'(

Thought you'd be banned by now lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, true. I've managed to get my hands on an older copy. So hopefully there's a lot of cross over.
Original post by RossB1702
Thought you'd be banned by now lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

-_-
Original post by Nuba123
Yeah, true. I've managed to get my hands on an older copy. So hopefully there's a lot of cross over.

Yeah that's good then!

If you do get the chance then order the new one. It even goes over calculations etc. I am waiting to order the Biology one which hasn't been released yet!!!
Yeah that's good then!

If you do get the chance then order the new one. It even goes over calculations etc. I am waiting to order the Biology one which hasn't been released yet!!!

Yeah will do. , old AH is kind of different - the content is almost identical but the way it's arranged in units has changed. It's pretty rubbish that some books come out half way through the course, I think the AH maths one comes out in january? :/
Original post by Nuba123
Yeah will do. , old AH is kind of different - the content is almost identical but the way it's arranged in units has changed. It's pretty rubbish that some books come out half way through the course, I think the AH maths one comes out in january? :/

I probably won't get the Maths one unless I feel like I am failing the course by then :smile:
I probably won't get the Maths one unless I feel like I am failing the course by then :smile:

same tbqh the brightred books are quite overwhelming - crammed with too much info, Content isn't as engaging as the How to Pass books.
Original post by Nuba123
same tbqh the brightred books are quite overwhelming - crammed with too much info, Content isn't as engaging as the How to Pass books.

OMG YES!!!!!!
Bright red book for AH chemistry is basically scholar in textbook form, exact same stuff just copied over to paper.
Original post by Zain-A
Bright red book for AH chemistry is basically scholar in textbook form, exact same stuff just copied over to paper.

Ah, thanks. Will probably leave buying that then.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending