The Student Room Group

GCSE Maths Foubdation Grade C to Advanced A Level Maths.... Struggling

**sorry for typo in title**
So I did pre access to higher education last year. Wanted to do higher tier maths but wasnt given option.

Now doing access via science and uni wants further maths. I have done first two classes and im already struggling on the easy bits like fractional indices, surds and rationalising denominators. Stuff that is covered at higher tier.

I have pulled out higher tier gcse books but seems like im spending all my free time tryibg to get to grips with this stuff and not having any time left for any study for chemistry and physics.

I dont feel pre access has prepared me for access even though I got high grades as far as foubdation gcses go.

I'm worried that telling college will make them pull me from the course but what am I supposed to do if they do? I have no problem putting in the hours and work... And I thoroughly enjoy maths these days, but I can see this going badly if I dont even understand the basic concepts i should already know now for the harder stuff to come...

Is it normal for someone with grade c maths to do advanced maths? Is it even possible? At the moment I dont know if im being realistic or just negative....

Cheers
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Scottyrunner
So I did pre access to higher education last year. Wanted to do higher tier maths but wasnt given option.

Now doing access via science and uni wants further maths. I have done first two classes and im already struggling on the easy bits like fractional indices, surds and rationalising denominators. Stuff that is covered at higher tier.

I have pulled out higher tier gcse books but seems like im spending all my free time tryibg to get to grips with this stuff and not having any time left for any study for chemistry and physics.

I dont feel pre access has prepared me for access even though I got high grades as far as foubdation gcses go.

I'm worried that telling college will make them pull me from the course but what am I supposed to do if they do? I have no problem putting in the hours and work... And I thoroughly enjoy maths these days, but I can see this going badly if I dont even understand the basic concepts i should already know now for the harder stuff to come...

Is it normal for someone with grade c maths to do advanced maths? Is it even possible? At the moment I dont know if im being realistic or just negative....

Cheers

In general, you need at least a B at GCSE to do an A-Level in any subject. For maths, many people, including me, believe that you actually need an A* or at least a high A, because there is a significant jump from the fairly concrete problems that you solve at GCSE, to the abstract algebraic problems you solve at A-Level. I'm not saying that it's impossible for you, as there are always exceptions to every general rule, but what I would say is that it will take a lot of effort for you to do well at A-Level: perhaps consider employing a tutor to help you go over the topics that you mentioned such as indices and surds?

Quick Reply

Latest