The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GNH
Ah ok, interesting. Even more so that it's access ni rather than dbs as they have different policies of what they supply with their checks as far as I know.

What campaign did you apply to and what role have you been offered?

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to be graduate scheme last November and passed all the tests but they only took on the highest grades. Wasn't ever expecting them to come back so that's really nice knowing they actually do keep you on file and offer jobs to those who deserve it.
I've Ben offered the tax professional caseworker. What about you?
Reply 201
Original post by Cass1988
I applied to be graduate scheme last November and passed all the tests but they only took on the highest grades. Wasn't ever expecting them to come back so that's really nice knowing they actually do keep you on file and offer jobs to those who deserve it.
I've Ben offered the tax professional caseworker. What about you?

Nice one. I applied for the HO caseworker campaigns closed in Feb and June and have provisional offers for both even though it's probably the same role. Couldn't be going any slower at the minute waiting on these checks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My partner has also went for the same posts too and hasn't heard today either so don't worry about it. There's a lot of people to get through.

I emailed recruitment who have confirmed that this certificate is the final stage :smile:

I was non-graduate so I assume that has something to do with it
Reply 203
Original post by Jamz115
I was non-graduate so I assume that has something to do with it

This is the third time I have said this. There are 3 different campaigns going on, TSP reserve list, recruitment reserve list and then the actually job offers for people on the list. It's a paperwork nightmare.

There is no pay difference for the roles just the grades and there is no maximum just the annual pay rise as capped by budget. Government departments stopped pay progression.

The difference is being a tax trained person specific to a tax i.e. IT, VAT

To being in Operational delivery in a customer focussed role.

I've done both. Equally demanding and challenging in different ways. No exams for ODP
It feels like forever, hence me emailing them today if they could give me a timeline and if this was the last stage. They said these pre-employment checks usually take around 20 days and that after that is all complete, it is all then down to your new managers to contact you with start dates. Also that this certificate is the final stage.
Reply 205
It feels like forever, hence me emailing them today if they could give me a timeline and if this was the last stage. They said these pre-employment checks usually take around 20 days and that after that is all complete, it is all then down to your new managers to contact you with start dates. Also that this certificate is the final stage.

I completely understand that is frustrating and yes they should be last step in process.

This is government department not just any old job and it needs to ensure that the people in the roles are security checked to a highest check they need for the information they will be handling. The data we handle as a department is extremely sensitive and it can't be falling into the wrong hands hence all the security. Unfortunately there is no way to do all of this internally and HMRC are at the mercy of these external agencies when getting checks completed. Also we have had a severe reduction in staff over the last 5 years. Rightly went from 161000 to 56000 so these recruitment campaigns are huge. The right people with the right experience need to be placed first and foremost so the experience is there otherwise there would be no mentors, no experience and how would you be able to complete your job to the proper standards without someone to train and guide you. There are lots of internal staff who applied externally who are still waiting too as well as those who received confirmation of a offer. It will be done in date order and it will be done as and when security and health checks are completed and all information is gathered. Staff also need days off and to use annual leave etc too just like anyone in any post.

So yes it's frustrating and difficult having the patience to wait but it will take as long as it takes and there isn't anything you can do to speed the process so better putting it from your mind until manager is in contact then get the ball rollin so to speak.

Sorry Cass I've replied to you as last person in the thread but this is aimed at all of those asking questions and slating the process. A little understanding of how busy and important the work is that the department do would help put things into perspective maybe.
I completely get you. Like a previous post I put too today, it's nice to even know they go onto a reserve list and still offer you a job.
Frustration only due to the want to hand in my notice as I've switched off from it since the provisional offer haha. But I'm happy enough to wait for a job in the civil service and the benefits that come with that.
Thanks for all your info too! You've been great giving everyone an insight.
Original post by kezxo
I completely understand that is frustrating and yes they should be last step in process.

This is government department not just any old job and it needs to ensure that the people in the roles are security checked to a highest check they need for the information they will be handling. The data we handle as a department is extremely sensitive and it can't be falling into the wrong hands hence all the security. Unfortunately there is no way to do all of this internally and HMRC are at the mercy of these external agencies when getting checks completed. Also we have had a severe reduction in staff over the last 5 years. Rightly went from 161000 to 56000 so these recruitment campaigns are huge. The right people with the right experience need to be placed first and foremost so the experience is there otherwise there would be no mentors, no experience and how would you be able to complete your job to the proper standards without someone to train and guide you. There are lots of internal staff who applied externally who are still waiting too as well as those who received confirmation of a offer. It will be done in date order and it will be done as and when security and health checks are completed and all information is gathered. Staff also need days off and to use annual leave etc too just like anyone in any post.

So yes it's frustrating and difficult having the patience to wait but it will take as long as it takes and there isn't anything you can do to speed the process so better putting it from your mind until manager is in contact then get the ball rollin so to speak.

Sorry Cass I've replied to you as last person in the thread but this is aimed at all of those asking questions and slating the process. A little understanding of how busy and important the work is that the department do would help put things into perspective maybe.

Certainly isn't a criticism on my part of those following the process with the resources available obviously they can only do what they are able to do. My criticism is of those who leave such an important department so under-resourced that this situation comes about but as I am applying to be a Civil Servant I shall train myself to keep those opinions to myself! Not a complaint though of you guys. I know you are only following procedure.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 208
Original post by Jamz115
Certainly isn't a criticism on my part of those following the process with the resources available obviously they can only do what they are able to do. My criticism is of those who leave such an important department so under-resourced that this situation comes about but as I am applying to be a Civil Servant I shall train myself to keep those opinions to myself! Not a complaint though of you guys. I know you are only following procedure.

I spent 9 hours in the office today and I only came on here as a favour to a friend who asked me to give some insight and I have no issues doing that but the job is not a walk in the park and we are all frustrated at the department. Can you imagine how those on the minimum pay scale feel that external staff are coming into the department with zero experience and they have 5+ years but will earning the same wage and also have to train new staff on top of their own jobs? The staff will moan about it but it would never be aimed at an external candidate just at those in the SCS who have allowed it to happen. We now have to work smarter, faster and do more work than ever to meet targets - individual and team so yes a lot of people are frustrated and as fed up with systems and processes as you are in a different way!
(edited 7 years ago)
Kez, "fed up with systems and processes" is the reason I'm taking a pay cut and leaving my current OGD role. Hope,I'm not going from frying pan into fire, lol.......

Thank you for your clarifications and diplomacy......
(edited 7 years ago)
Health declaration sent off again, referees details sent, AccessNI applied for. All out of my hands now and the wait for a formal offer and start date begins.......
Reply 211
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
Kez, "fed up with systems and processes" is the reason I'm taking a pay cut and leaving my current OGD role. Hope,I'm not going from frying pan into fire, lol.......

Thank you for your clarifications and diplomacy......

I sometimes think better the devil you know that you don't. I was offered a home office position 3 years ago and promotion and didn't take it because I thought that and stayed where I was. I can't comment on your personal circumstances but it's two ears before you can level transfer to another HO post. Plus an existing civil servant if you failed exams etc you'd just put back in the redeployments pool or they'll find you another position at least!

About 20 days then for you to wait on clearance! Fingers crossed it's fast! Hopefully those on the June closing should start to hear next week!
Original post by kezxo
I sometimes think better the devil you know that you don't. I was offered a home office position 3 years ago and promotion and didn't take it because I thought that and stayed where I was. I can't comment on your personal circumstances but it's two ears before you can level transfer to another HO post. Plus an existing civil servant if you failed exams etc you'd just put back in the redeployments pool or they'll find you another position at least!

About 20 days then for you to wait on clearance! Fingers crossed it's fast! Hopefully those on the June closing should start to hear next week!

I wouldn't hold much hope of that when those from last christmas haven't even had their DBS checks application sent off yet!
Original post by kezxo

Aye, been a few times this week where I've asked myself if I'm doing the right thing, but I'm really ready for the change now and I'm looking forward to learning a new profession. Half the reason I've been so cheerful and energetic at work this past couple of weeks is because I know there is something else on the horizon. It's only an O grade but who knows what the future holds? Whereas if I stay where I'm at, monotony rules and there is no chance of progression. Onwards and upwards, drafting my resignation letter still.......lol.
After receiving the provisional offer on 12th August and sending in the health Declaration and DBS on 11th September, I got an email today asking me to go to Lisburn to had in an up to date passport and bank statement.

I am to go up either next Friday 7th or Monday 10th.

I wonder if this means they have not started to process my application, or if they are doing different peoples applications in different orders.

But it is movement
Reply 215
Original post by Jamz115
I wouldn't hold much hope of that when those from last christmas haven't even had their DBS checks application sent off yet!

Murphy's law is internal staff as already existing civil servant and internal staff have applied and received provisional offers and they don't need security clearance. Also a lot of the March recruits have already started and they are using Man power for June recruits so be a much quicker streamlined process.
Referees contacted. Tick........tock..........tick...........tock...........😀
Original post by MurphysLaw2471
Referees contacted. Tick........tock..........tick...........tock...........😀

Awesome looking close! Do they contact current employers do you know?
Well for some... don't even think my application for DBS has been sent off yet. I should complain to the Civil Service Commission. Ridiculous
Awesome looking close! Do they contact current employers do you know?

My line manager got an email asking him to confirm my start date and his contact telephone number, that was about it. They did contact one of my personal referees but not the other. How are you getting on, any further along?

Latest

Trending

Trending