The Student Room Group

IS THIS GRAPH RIGHT? (Taking into account domain )

Hi check my graph please.IMG_2900.jpg

Scroll to see replies

Almost, I would be persnickety and say that the graph is not defined for x>4 or x<0 so there should be no lines there.
the curve should begin at ( 2, 4 ) ... this means it will be higher than the end of the straight line, which ends at ( 2, 2 )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Almost, I would be persnickety and say that the graph is not defined for x>4 or x<0 so there should be no lines there.

I'm confused 😅
Original post by Jane122
I'm confused 😅

Well, what is f(-1)? How about f(5)? The answer is that they are not defined by the function f(x) so there should not be any y values for x values outside of the specified range. Your graph suggests that f(-1) = -1 and f(5) = 4*5 - 25.

And as the bear said.. I hadn't noticed.. your line should finish below the curve, if you see his post you'll understand why.
Reply 6
Original post by the bear
the curve should begin at ( 2, 4 ) ... this means it will be higher than the end of the straight line, which ends at ( 2, 2 )

Like this ?IMG_2901.jpg
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
Well, what is f(-1)? How about f(5)? The answer is that they are not defined by the function f(x) so there should not be any y values for x values outside of the specified range. Your graph suggests that f(-1) = -1 and f(5) = 4*5 - 25.

And as the bear said.. I hadn't noticed.. your line should finish below the curve, if you see his post you'll understand why.

F(1) is -5 and f(5) is also -5
Original post by Jane122
F(1) is -5 and f(5) is also -5

They are not. Y values for this f(x) only exist between x=0 and x = 4. -5 and 5 are outside of this range so they have no corresponding y values.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanFM
They are not. Y values for this f(x) only exist between x=0 and x = 4. -5 and 5 are outside of this range so they have no corresponding y values.

So the graph should end at 4? How am I supposed to know that?
I'm not the only one whose looking at the graph and thinking WTF? 😁😁😁 Am I??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jane122

From the definition of the function.
I'm not the only one whose looking at this graph and thinking WTF am I?? 😁😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Jane122
Hi check my graph please.IMG_2900.jpg

ahh flashbacks! burn it! BURN IT!!!111ERE
Reply 14
Original post by SeanFM
From the definition of the function.

Ok I am really really stuck.. I don't know why the graph stops dead at 4? Like if you draw beyond but that are the values not less than 4 still?
Original post by Jane122

Since there is no function defined for any x after 4 or before 0, so no graph can be plotted. Also the endpoint for 4x-x^2 should be coloured in since it's not a strict inequality
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by BobBobson
Since there is no function defined for any x after 4 or before 0, so no graph can be plotted. Also the endpoint for 4x-x^2 should be coloured in since it's not a strict inequality

IMG_2921.jpg But the 4x-x^2 graph is going through 4???
Original post by Jane122
Ok I am really really stuck.. I don't know why the graph stops dead at 4? Like if you draw beyond but that are the values not less than 4 still?

If you were in a sweet factory and there was a sign that said 'red sweets go into box 1 and blue sweets go into box 2' then where would green sweets go? Who knows. Green is not red or blue, so who can say where it goes? No one can. The same way this function tells you where values between 0 and 4 go but not for anything outside those values.
Reply 18
Original post by SeanFM
If you were in a sweet factory and there was a sign that said 'red sweets go into box 1 and blue sweets go into box 2' then where would green sweets go? Who knows. Green is not red or blue, so who can say where it goes? No one can. The same way this function tells you where values between 0 and 4 go but not for anything outside those values.

I see what you mean like where would 5,6,7 etc go. But the way I drew the graph makes it look like it passes through 4
Original post by Jane122
IMG_2921.jpg But the 4x-x^2 graph is going through 4???

4x-x^2 does go through 4 normally, however in your OP, you said the domain for it is 2<= x <= 4, so your x co-ordinates should stop dead at 4. Any number past 4 isn't in the domain of 4x-x^2, and thus shouldn't be plotted.

Quick Reply

Latest