The Student Room Group

GCSE English Resit

I was heavily disappointed with my B grade in English Language GCSE, As i was expecting an A/A*. Anyway my Coursework is an A and in the mocks i usually got high B's on the final few i got A's, so i thought i would be able to score an A in the actual GCSE exam. Unfortunately i turned out to be 17 UMS away from an A grade and was wondering if i need to Improve my Coursework to an A* or just try much harder in the english exam to get an A or preferably an A* overall?
Atleast you didn't get a C or lower
To be honest I would just advise to stick to the grade that you have besides English specification has changed which means the exams are going to be much harder
But if you still want to go on to repeat the whole process again, just ace both the coursework and exams

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Waqar_
I was heavily disappointed with my B grade in English Language GCSE, As i was expecting an A/A*. Anyway my Coursework is an A and in the mocks i usually got high B's on the final few i got A's, so i thought i would be able to score an A in the actual GCSE exam. Unfortunately i turned out to be 17 UMS away from an A grade and was wondering if i need to Improve my Coursework to an A* or just try much harder in the english exam to get an A or preferably an A* overall?

You got an A for coursework!!? Very good. You don't need to try improving that (nor do I think you can, for that matter), but I would assume that 60% of AQA's eng lang marks are for the exam, so it'd be better to do better in the exam. As for how to do better, well that's a different question and I didn't do much better in my resit, so I did an Interational GCSE if that's of any interest to you. Nevertheless, I would resit if I were in your position. You need to really find out what went wrong in that exam. Was it that you lacked that "flair", maybe "time management", maybe structure and content in the longer response questions idk...
Reply 3
Original post by Naomeyz_01
Atleast you didn't get a C or lower
To be honest I would just advise to stick to the grade that you have besides English specification has changed which means the exams are going to be much harder
But if you still want to go on to repeat the whole process again, just ace both the coursework and exams

Posted from TSR Mobile

My resit is the last ever English Resit to sit the old specification so it's all still the same.
Original post by Waqar_
My resit is the last ever English Resit to sit the old specification so it's all still the same.

I wouldn't resit it as some unis don't like resits .... a grade B is fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Muttley79
I wouldn't resit it as some unis don't like resits .... a grade B is fine.

My Original exam was in June this year, and GCSE grade dates only show up in years, and luckily my resit is in November so it will still be a 2016 entry. Same as others
Original post by Waqar_
My Original exam was in June this year, and GCSE grade dates only show up in years, and luckily my resit is in November so it will still be a 2016 entry. Same as others

No, you will have to declare BOTH grades as it will have a separate certificate.

Quick Reply

Latest