The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Edinburgh and Glasgow have best overall reputation, international ranking and they are member of Russell Group.
Personally speaking, I think they are most suitable. And Glasgow and Edinburgh have good ranking in Engineering in QS and ARUW universities ranking.
Original post by T Jack Zhang
Edinburgh and Glasgow have best overall reputation, international ranking and they are member of Russell Group.
Personally speaking, I think they are most suitable. And Glasgow and Edinburgh have good ranking in Engineering in QS and ARUW universities ranking.

Strathclyde is ranked highest in Scotland for mechanical engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Veirian
I plan on studying Mechanical Engineering in Scotland and I was wondering which university would be best for this subject?
I am considering:
University of Glasgow
Strathclyde University
University of Aberdeen
Heriott-Watt
University of Edinburgh

Strathclyde is generally considered the "best" engineering department in Scotland, and has excellent links to a huge amount of industrial sectors.

Aside from that, I'd say that the rest are equal. It's really going to depend on how much you like the cities to live in, and the departments.
Original post by Smack
Strathclyde is generally considered the "best" engineering department in Scotland, and has excellent links to a huge amount of industrial sectors.

Aside from that, I'd say that the rest are equal. It's really going to depend on how much you like the cities to live in, and the departments.

I'm applying for marine engineering at Strathclyde and my brothers applying for mechanical engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RossB1702
I'm applying for marine engineering at Strathclyde and my brothers applying for mechanical engineering.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where else are you applying? Strathclyde is very competitive so I would have some backup options. (I didn't even apply there at all since I knew my grades weren't sufficient.)
Original post by Veirian
I plan on studying Mechanical Engineering in Scotland and I was wondering which university would be best for this subject?

Hey!

All of those choices will give you a great experience and an amazing degree. The course contents will vary slightly, and the universities will have links with different places, or offer slightly different opportunities. E.g. Some may have great study abroad opportunities, other may have excellent links with the oil and gas industry, or others with other industries. There's no "best" university, there will only be a university which is best suited for you.

The most important thing is to be happy where you'll be studying. Strathclyde is in the centre of Glasgow whereas Glasgow Uni is in the West End, but it's a great city. Heriott-Watt is on a more remote campus, but still relatively close to Edinburgh. Aberdeen is the furthest north, and is the smallest city of the options.

If you have any questions about Glasgow Uni, or Glasgow itself, do let me know! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Original post by Smack
Where else are you applying? Strathclyde is very competitive so I would have some backup options. (I didn't even apply there at all since I knew my grades weren't sufficient.)

I'm also applying to Heriot watt and Glasgow Caledonian. Yeah you're right Strathclyde Engineering is competitive and I achieved 2As and 2Bs in my highers this year and are studying advanced higher maths, physics and higher English in 6th year. I just missed out on the entry requirements for marine engineering which was 3As and a B. I'm hopeful to receive a conditional and achieve it. Are you at uni the now ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm also applying to Heriot watt and Glasgow Caledonian. Yeah you're right Strathclyde Engineering is competitive and I achieved 2As and 2Bs in my highers this year and are studying advanced higher maths, physics and higher English in 6th year. I just missed out on the entry requirements for marine engineering which was 3As and a B. I'm hopeful to receive a conditional and achieve it. Are you at uni the now ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, I graduated just over three years ago. Are you applying to just three universities?
Original post by Smack
No, I graduated just over three years ago. Are you applying to just three universities?

Yeah I'm applying for; MEng mechanical engineering at Heriot watt, MEng mechanical engineering at Glasgow Caledonian, MPhys at Strathclyde, MEng and BEng Marine Engineering at Strathclyde.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
So it's harder to get into Strathclyde than Glasgow uni if you want to study engineering? For my country the requirements for Glasgow are waaay higher. Sounds weird
Original post by Veirian
So it's harder to get into Strathclyde than Glasgow uni if you want to study engineering? For my country the requirements for Glasgow are waaay higher. Sounds weird

Where do you live ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Where do you live ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bulgaria.

The requirements for Mech Eng in Glasgow are 5.80 out of 6 and 6 in maths and physics, while in Strathclyde the Electrical Engineering (only one listed, should be the same as Mechanical Eng) requirements are 5 out of 6 and 5.50 in Maths and physics
Original post by Veirian
Bulgaria.

The requirements for Mech Eng in Glasgow are 5.80 out of 6 and 6 in maths and physics, while in Strathclyde the Electrical Engineering (only one listed, should be the same as Mechanical Eng) requirements are 5 out of 6 and 5.50 in Maths and physics

It's probably because mechanical engineering is a lot more competitive than electronic and electrical engineering. I was at the Strathclyde open day last month and I went to the mini lecture of mechanical engineering and I remember the guy said that they get 1,300 applications a year for mechanical engineering and they can only accept between 130-150 students.
Reply 14
It's probably because mechanical engineering is a lot more competitive than electronic and electrical engineering. I was at the Strathclyde open day last month and I went to the mini lecture of mechanical engineering and I remember the guy said that they get 1,300 applications a year for mechanical engineering and they can only accept between 130-150 students.

Applications to Acceptances ratios are fairly meaningless. You have 5 choices so if every one of your universities gives you an offer you will still only end up being accepted by one.

More useful is Applications to Offer ratio. Which Uni (for example) has this info.

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-strathclyde-s78/mechanical-engineering-5-years-9000-h302-73603
Original post by jneill
Applications to Acceptances ratios are fairly meaningless. You have 5 choices so if every one of your universities gives you an offer you will still only end up being accepted by one.

More useful is Applications to Offer ratio. Which Uni (for example) has this info.

http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-strathclyde-s78/mechanical-engineering-5-years-9000-h302-73603

Thanks a lot! This is very useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Thanks a lot! This is very useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem :smile:

And here's Glasgow for the same course
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-glasgow-g28/mechanical-engineering-5-years-9000-h302-368099

Hi I know this was a couple years ago, was just hoping you had some guidance as to which to go for? I'm really interested in the he flexible degrees scottland offers. I want to be a mechanical engineer..
Original post by University of Glasgow
Hey!

All of those choices will give you a great experience and an amazing degree. The course contents will vary slightly, and the universities will have links with different places, or offer slightly different opportunities. E.g. Some may have great study abroad opportunities, other may have excellent links with the oil and gas industry, or others with other industries. There's no "best" university, there will only be a university which is best suited for you.

The most important thing is to be happy where you'll be studying. Strathclyde is in the centre of Glasgow whereas Glasgow Uni is in the West End, but it's a great city. Heriott-Watt is on a more remote campus, but still relatively close to Edinburgh. Aberdeen is the furthest north, and is the smallest city of the options.

If you have any questions about Glasgow Uni, or Glasgow itself, do let me know! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Hi I know this was a couple years ago, was just hoping the offer still stood. Do you ha e some guidance as to which to go for? I'm really interested in the he flexible degrees scottland offers but on the website I couldn't find anywhere that indicated you could do that with mechanical engineering. I also have no clue if I'd rather stay in the centre of a city or go for a smaller uni, any tips on how to decide??
Many thanks
Original post by Veirian
Bulgaria.

Glasgow knows that they are much higher ranked internationally so can that will necessitate higher requirements for internationals, whereas Strathclyde is relatively lower ranked internationally even for engineering, so they will ask for requirements closer to what is necessary to complete the course.

edit: woops, didn't see the dates
(edited 5 years ago)