The Student Room Group

BSMS A100 2017 Entry

Alright, because you lot are slacking and there's no page up here for BSMS yet, we thought we'd start one :biggrin:

I'm a first year at BSMS along with lightwoXd (she's sitting next to me right now as we've done a great job of studying the thoracic cage) and we're happy to help if anyone has any questions!

So the main change of this year was the decision to move from the panel style of interview to MMI.

Entry Requirements: AAA - Resits are accepted here as long as you get AAB first attempt.

Teaching Style: Integrated systems-based. For example, this term we're learning some of the foundations of health and disease while next term there is a focus on the heart and lungs. On Tuesdays we have clinical days, where we have facilitated sessions with GPs and go on placements - some of our friends went to their primary and secondary placements last week, while we took part a workshop on taking the traditional medical history, where we had patient contact. The first two years are quite lecture based.

Entrance Test: BMAT - this will take place in November 2nd, and the late entry date closes on the 15th. The scores for each section are added up with the letter grade you were given for your essay (practice these, I didn't ^^' A=5, B=4, C=3...) to make your total. So for last year, I got 4.9 3.8 2A, so I got 15.7 overall.

Other things about the uni: We've been here for three weeks and I've honestly loved it so far. The cohort is small and very diverse, which is great, so we have gotten to know people in our year and the year above already, which is great for not only academic but emotional support. The medic family system is great too, it definitely helps you settle in and I've found both my medic mums so lovely and open to talk to at moments where I felt overwhelmed. I've felt so supported so far and it would be great to see some of you guys here next year!

I hope my future medic children are on this thread<3!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there! I am going to be applying to BSMS this year. I am a previous medicine applicant however that did not work out first time round.
I contacted the BSMS admissions team and I was so glad they informed me that I could retake by B grade to an A (as I am currently on AAB) and whilst already enrolled on a BSc/medicine related degree course. So ofcourse with these circumstances it means that BSMS is my only choice for 2017 entry as nearly no other medical schools allows for me to be considered with these circumstances.

I took the BMAT last year when I applied to imperial and UCL however I did not meet their cut off for each section, and interms of BSMS's scoring for the BMAT i acheived a score of 14 (with section 1 being quite a low score so im gonna have to work on that xD).
I've already began BMAT practice using my kaplan strategy book from last year's course (which was expensive as hell) and using the 700 BMAT questions book. Im planning to do most questions if not all in the 700 q's book and then begin with past papers and essay practice.
Do you have any tips or advice regarding the BMAT? what resources you used? how much time you spent preparing?
Also could you tell me a bit more about the interview? What does BSMS really favour from students during the interview? How you prepared for the interview? etc...
Sorry if im asking too much but I just really wanna make sure I get it right this time round. BSMS really seems like an amazing place to study medicine and I really appreciate all your help. Thanks! :smile:
Original post by Zaiden
Hi there! I am going to be applying to BSMS this year. I am a previous medicine applicant however that did not work out first time round.
I contacted the BSMS admissions team and I was so glad they informed me that I could retake by B grade to an A (as I am currently on AAB) and whilst already enrolled on a BSc/medicine related degree course. So ofcourse with these circumstances it means that BSMS is my only choice for 2017 entry as nearly no other medical schools allows for me to be considered with these circumstances.

I took the BMAT last year when I applied to imperial and UCL however I did not meet their cut off for each section, and interms of BSMS's scoring for the BMAT i acheived a score of 14 (with section 1 being quite a low score so im gonna have to work on that xD).
I've already began BMAT practice using my kaplan strategy book from last year's course (which was expensive as hell) and using the 700 BMAT questions book. Im planning to do most questions if not all in the 700 q's book and then begin with past papers and essay practice.
Do you have any tips or advice regarding the BMAT? what resources you used? how much time you spent preparing?
Also could you tell me a bit more about the interview? What does BSMS really favour from students during the interview? How you prepared for the interview? etc...
Sorry if im asking too much but I just really wanna make sure I get it right this time round. BSMS really seems like an amazing place to study medicine and I really appreciate all your help. Thanks! :smile:

Hi! :smile:
Yeah, BSMS is pretty awesome like that. Don't worry about asking questions - that's what we're here for after all!
With the BMAT I always found section 2 to be my weak point haha - I just used the study guide they upload to the website closer to the time of the test to brush up on topics I hadn't done in a while. With all the sections though I'd definitely say practice makes perfect so what you have lined up sounds like a good shout - for essay practice you don't necessarily need to write full essays each time (unless you find you have problems being concise), just bullet point what your main points/arguments would be and make sure you answer each subquestion in the question itself.
This is slightly more tactical but during the BMAT time can get a little tight so if you look at a question and your immediate thought is 'wtf' skip it and move on - save a little time at the end to go back and fill in random answers for any questions you haven't had time to answer (might pick up a couple extra marks that way, haha).
In terms of the interview it's a little hard to say, really - we were interviewed via panel but BSMS is switching to MMI this year (plus we signed a confidentiality agreement about the actual questions). The one thing I would say is to just breathe and answer questions as honestly as you can - don't be afraid to take a little time to think about your answer too. It feels like an eternity when you're in the room but so long as you look calm and thoughtful while you're doing it (I say that, I probably just looked constipated haha) it just lets you actually think about what you're going to say rather than jumping straight in there and potentially digging yourself into a hole.
Sorry for the essay but hopefully at least something in there's helpful - please feel free to ask more questions if you still have them! Good luck with your application :smile:
@AnnekaChan173 @lightwoXd
Hi.
I wanted to ask by how much you had to change your personal statement so that it wouldn't be plagiarised? I really wanna know pls thanks
Reply 4
Hi guys, I live in Brighton and I am applying to BSMS.
Do you guys know what the bmat cut off score is? And any advice on how to revise for the BMAT - I will be starting tomorrow and I have the bmat 600 questions book. For the ukcat i worked through the 1000 ukcat question book and my ukcat didnt go so well so I need to find a strategy to do really well on the BMAT.
Should I buy gcse science revision guides for section 2 - I've forgotten so much of gcse science so any advice on how to learn as much as possible for section 2. I feel like section 1 will be my weakest as it has kind of similar questions to the ukcat so any advice on how to excel at section 1!
Also do you guys know of any free bmat websites with really good resources would really appreciate it!
Thanks
Original post by tomtom32
Do you guys know what the bmat cut off score is? And any advice on how to revise for the BMAT - I will be starting tomorrow and I have the bmat 600 questions book. For the ukcat i worked through the 1000 ukcat question book and my ukcat didnt go so well so I need to find a strategy to do really well on the BMAT.
Should I buy gcse science revision guides for section 2 - I've forgotten so much of gcse science so any advice on how to learn as much as possible for section 2. I feel like section 1 will be my weakest as it has kind of similar questions to the ukcat so any advice on how to excel at section 1!
Also do you guys know of any free bmat websites with really good resources would really appreciate it!
Thanks

You can use bmat ninja that's quite good. The 1000 q for ukcat book has an identical one for bmat which is good. Use the Isc 700 book that's really good for section 1. The essay is easy to get a high mark as long as u know the principles of being a doctor like beneficence and etc. Cut off score is usually quite low.
Section one isn't really like any ukcat question, it's like decision making the most but that wasn't counted. As long as you know lcm and hcf and practice a bit then you will do well.
Don't buy books for section 2; there is a free online cgp revision specifically for the bmat. It's quite long and contains a lot of info u don't actually need so just go over what u don't know and u will be good.
I revised something like 10 days for section 2, 3 for section 1 and barely for the essay. I got a good enough score for ucl and a score of 18.1 for BSMS.
Thanks

How is Brighton as a city? Is it fun and are there lots of things to do?? Or is it boring?
Reply 7
Original post by YouHaveProblems
How is Brighton as a city? Is it fun and are there lots of things to do?? Or is it boring?

Thank you so much for your help really appreciate it!!
Yeah Brighton is quite a diverse, really fun city to live in. Theres the beach,pier, lanes and the student life from what I've heard is really good - lots of good clubs and all that!!
Reply 8
Original post by lightwoXd
Hi! :smile:
Yeah, BSMS is pretty awesome like that. Don't worry about asking questions - that's what we're here for after all!
With the BMAT I always found section 2 to be my weak point haha - I just used the study guide they upload to the website closer to the time of the test to brush up on topics I hadn't done in a while. With all the sections though I'd definitely say practice makes perfect so what you have lined up sounds like a good shout - for essay practice you don't necessarily need to write full essays each time (unless you find you have problems being concise), just bullet point what your main points/arguments would be and make sure you answer each subquestion in the question itself.
This is slightly more tactical but during the BMAT time can get a little tight so if you look at a question and your immediate thought is 'wtf' skip it and move on - save a little time at the end to go back and fill in random answers for any questions you haven't had time to answer (might pick up a couple extra marks that way, haha).
In terms of the interview it's a little hard to say, really - we were interviewed via panel but BSMS is switching to MMI this year (plus we signed a confidentiality agreement about the actual questions). The one thing I would say is to just breathe and answer questions as honestly as you can - don't be afraid to take a little time to think about your answer too. It feels like an eternity when you're in the room but so long as you look calm and thoughtful while you're doing it (I say that, I probably just looked constipated haha) it just lets you actually think about what you're going to say rather than jumping straight in there and potentially digging yourself into a hole.
Sorry for the essay but hopefully at least something in there's helpful - please feel free to ask more questions if you still have them! Good luck with your application :smile:

Ah thank you so much for your reply! Correct me if im wrong but do the admissions team only look at the personal statement once your invited for interview (which is based on the bmat score)? And if your in year one of a degree do they require a minimum percentage for that year? (2:1, etc.)
Original post by Zaiden
Ah thank you so much for your reply! Correct me if im wrong but do the admissions team only look at the personal statement once your invited for interview (which is based on the bmat score)? And if your in year one of a degree do they require a minimum percentage for that year? (2:1, etc.)

No worries! And to both questions, I think so? AFAIK you need to be on track for a 2:1 in that year of your degree.
No worries! And to both questions, I think so? AFAIK you need to be on track for a 2:1 in that year of your degree.

ay cuz i axed u a question about how much u have to change ur personal statement. Do u know?
@AnnekaChan173 @lightwoXd
Hi.
I wanted to ask by how much you had to change your personal statement so that it wouldn't be plagiarised? I really wanna know pls thanks

Hi :smile:
Sorry, how do you mean? Are you reapplying? Because I've heard that you can just reuse your own PS from previous applications without it being classed as plagiarism, but a) I'm not 100% sure that's true and b) if you're taking a gap year, unis will probably expect you to reflect on it/have done something during it that you can reflect on.
Thanks

Unfortunately I have no idea, it's usually something that's decided after all applications have been received. AFAIK it's usually been around the 15/16 mark in the past.
In terms of section 2 BMAT revision, there's usually a guide uploaded to the BMAT website that contains all the content they can draw questions from. The only caveat is that it's only available in a really specific period of time running up to the test - have a gander on the BMAT website and you should at least be able to find out a little more information on when it'll be available. Unfortunately all the adivce I can offer on section 1 is to keep at it with the practice, and don't be afraid to draw diagrams on rough paper if it helps you answer some questions (it certainly helped me haha). If you're still at college have a look in their library (and look in your local library too) for any BMAT help books - I monopolised my college library's copy of one book for about 3 weeks and it helped so much (plus it's free :wink:).
When you did UKCAT, did you find you had problems with the questions themselves or the timings?
Hi :smile:
Sorry, how do you mean? Are you reapplying? Because I've heard that you can just reuse your own PS from previous applications without it being classed as plagiarism, but a) I'm not 100% sure that's true and b) if you're taking a gap year, unis will probably expect you to reflect on it/have done something during it that you can reflect on.

Hmm Brighton said I need a new one to avoid plagiarism
Unfortunately I have no idea, it's usually something that's decided after all applications have been received. AFAIK it's usually been around the 15/16 mark in the past.
In terms of section 2 BMAT revision, there's usually a guide uploaded to the BMAT website that contains all the content they can draw questions from. The only caveat is that it's only available in a really specific period of time running up to the test - have a gander on the BMAT website and you should at least be able to find out a little more information on when it'll be available. Unfortunately all the adivce I can offer on section 1 is to keep at it with the practice, and don't be afraid to draw diagrams on rough paper if it helps you answer some questions (it certainly helped me haha). If you're still at college have a look in their library (and look in your local library too) for any BMAT help books - I monopolised my college library's copy of one book for about 3 weeks and it helped so much (plus it's free :wink:).
When you did UKCAT, did you find you had problems with the questions themselves or the timings?

How did u find cutting up the bodies? Like how was everyone else's reaction and also your reaction and experience?
Hmm Brighton said I need a new one to avoid plagiarism

If the uni's told you that themselves then it's probably best to stick with their advice. Honestly with the PS it's a total pain in the arse but it's probably best to just start again from scratch - in the long run it'll be easier to incorporate any new stuff you want to add.
If the uni's told you that themselves then it's probably best to stick with their advice. Honestly with the PS it's a total pain in the arse but it's probably best to just start again from scratch - in the long run it'll be easier to incorporate any new stuff you want to add.

but on the ucas site it says it won't be compared to previous applications.
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/similarity-detection-applicant-guide.pdf

Hi thanks for your reply - in the UKCAT I found that my main problem for VR was the time and my main problem for AR was the questions!
Hi thanks for your reply - in the UKCAT I found that my main problem for VR was the time and my main problem for AR was the questions!

Ah yes, that's sounding familiar haha ^^
I wouldn't say section 1 was quite as bad as AR, but it depends on the person I guess.
As far as I remember the timing on the BMAT sections was a liiiittle tight (that or I just needed more sleep the night before haha). It's worth doing the old 'skip anything that you have no idea how to tackle immediately and come back to it later' tactic and then leaving about a minute at the end to just go back and fill in random answers on any questions you haven't answered yet. The essay is usually fine time-wise though, so make sure you don't skimp on the planning part.
but on the ucas site it says it won't be compared to previous applications.
https://www.ucas.com/sites/default/files/similarity-detection-applicant-guide.pdf

That's what I said in my original reply.
I'd still say it was best to go with what Brighton have told you (considering that that is technically where you'll be applying), plus from experience you'll probably produce a better PS if you just start fresh, no matter how much of a chore it seems. That said, you're cutting it close to the application deadline so you might struggle with gettng feedback.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

Latest