The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is it too difficult for me to get into edinburgh if I'm not sporty or have many extra-curricular examples in my PS?
I got 700 in UKCAT and am a re applicant (didn't apply to edinburgh though) with A*AA. I got 2A* 9A at GCSE.
Original post by GANFYD
There is an updated Selectors Handbook (and I assume another due out imminently):
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf

For those asking about Scottish v RUK applicants, figures are all here:
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2016.pdf

Thanks for that, really helpful - and thanks to others for posts on Scotland v RUK
Original post by Janoschr
Is it too difficult for me to get into edinburgh if I'm not sporty or have many extra-curricular examples in my PS?
I got 700 in UKCAT and am a re applicant (didn't apply to edinburgh though) with A*AA. I got 2A* 9A at GCSE.

For Edinburgh you will lose 2 marks off your GCSE and perhaps one or 2 in your UKCAT. Your personal statement will need to be flawless and get full marks for you to stand a chance.
Original post by studentsixth
For Edinburgh you will lose 2 marks off your GCSE and perhaps one or 2 in your UKCAT. Your personal statement will need to be flawless and get full marks for you to stand a chance.

How does the scoring system work?
Am I right in thinking that as a graduate, I'd be scored academically on my degree (2.1) and Access course (predicted 45 credits at distinction/AAA)? I had a look at the handbook but I'm still none the wiser in my case. I didn't get straight A's in A level so I'm a bit worried if they're going to go on my old (non-science A Level) grades :s-smilie:.

I've clocked a solid amount of hours as a HCA in the NHS. I also volunteer at a hospice and as a Macmillan befriender - what are my chances with the above and an average UKCAT?

http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//mbchb_handbook_final.pdf

page 33

8 A*s at GCSE - 10/10
A*AAa A Level - 10/10
UKCAT top octile - 8/8 (around 720+)
SJT Band 1 - 6/6
Personal statement - Out of three for each interviewer (two of them)

In total you'll probably only lose a mark from the UKCAT and you need around 37/40 for an interview (if you're British).
Original post by studentsixth
8 A*s at GCSE - 10/10
A*AAa A Level - 10/10
UKCAT top octile - 8/8 (around 720+)
SJT Band 1 - 6/6
Personal statement - Out of three for each interviewer (two of them)

In total you'll probably only lose a mark from the UKCAT and you need around 37/40 for an interview (if you're British).

I'll probably be better off not applying then since my GCSEs aren't mainly A*s
thanks for the help!
Hei. I really want placement in a university without any interview due to travel expenses and stuff so I'm considering Edinburgh. I got 3As 1B in my A levels. I did resit some units. Maybe more than 5 units, but I only cashed in once. I got 6A*s in Olevels. As for UKCAT i got 560, 800, 630, 2nd band respectively. I participated in many extra curricular plus I am currently doing volunteer work in a hospital so a good personal statement. So can I get a placement? :biggrin:

ps: I am an international student.
Hey guys, I have read the Edinburgh admissions document online and I was wondering what you estimate the lowest UKCAT score to be given an offer this year is?

If you had to guess what do you think?
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hey guys, I have read the Edinburgh admissions document online and I was wondering what you estimate the lowest UKCAT score to be given an offer this year is?

I'm not sure, edinburghs always super competitive so if i guessed a minimum, probably around 680-690 but they would have to get like full personal statements and other academic marks... again this is just complete stipulation haha
Reply 132
Original post by .......Jeff458

No idea soz, whats the average this year anyway (since theres only 3 sections)?

In general I estimate 670+
Reply 133

You have anything else cool to put on ps other than sports/extra curricular? Eg some competition/international exchange programme etc? Otherwise cram it with work experience
Do Edinburgh accepts access to medicine swap course
Reply 135
Hey guys,

I have 11 A*s at GCSE
3 A*s predicted for A-Levels
UKCAT 680 and SJT Band 2
I think my personal statement is ok/good - do I have a chance for Edinburgh??
image.png
Hi guys, found this spreadsheet on Edinburgh medicines UKCAT minimum offers from previous years, where 4 sections were tested. It also includes bands! Some of the minimum offered scores are surprisingly low, meaning you must be able to compensate for a lower score if the rest of your application is sound. Hope this helps!:smile:
Original post by zee_s
Hey guys,

I have 11 A*s at GCSE
3 A*s predicted for A-Levels
UKCAT 680 and SJT Band 2
I think my personal statement is ok/good - do I have a chance for Edinburgh??

Nobody can be sure. Based on last year's UKCAT octiles, you would have been in the 3 rd octile, so presumably lose 2 points there and your SJT Band 2 would probably lose another 2, though your academics should score full marks. This gives a score of 30/34 with potentially another 6 available for PS. Edinburgh suggest only around 35% applicants should be given full marks for their PS. Bearing in mind cut offs for non-Scottish students are usually around 37-38/40 (a mark or 2 less if you are from Scotland, though I am assuming not given you are not doing highers?), it would be a very borderline situation, though octiles may be different this year, as may the score cut off needed to get in. Only you can decide if it is a risk worth taking.
Original post by MF12345
image.png
Hi guys, found this spreadsheet on Edinburgh medicines UKCAT minimum offers from previous years, where 4 sections were tested. It also includes bands! Some of the minimum offered scores are surprisingly low, meaning you must be able to compensate for a lower score if the rest of your application is sound. Hope this helps!:smile:

Edinburgh use a scoring system, so a perfect score elsewhere would indeed compensate for a lower UKCAT. Doesn't state whether any of these are LEAPS students though, who are eligible for lower offers, I believe?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
Doesn't state whether any of these are LEAPS students though, who are eligible for lower offers, I believe?

That's a good point actually, that could be the case for low scores being offered. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't even think of that!

Latest