The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by J-SP
You include it but provide little to no detail on it.

For instance if you have a work experience section and you have to list the employer and dates, you don't have to repeat this information in the description.

If it is not clear you will gain something like real estate experience. You can add a sentence like: "Future in-house legal internship where I will gain exposure to Real Estate matters".

There is no point adding any detail than this as it is either speculative or unnecessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant, so only really listing it as legal experience or as you say to highlight real estate exposure, thank you again!
Reply 161
Original post by Pulse.
Wasn't shortlisted for Ashurst unfortunately, was probably setting my sights too high I guess but must push on. Looks like they are starting to sort through applications nonetheless.

Have an open day next Friday to look forward to [or dread].

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, sorry to hear that! When did you apply? I sent my application on Monday and currently waiting to hear back from them...
In the work experience section of the Jones Day application, they ask how we go obtained the work experience. Would a vacation scheme be 'through an advertisement' or an 'unsolicited application'?
How are people applying so early when most firms only open applications on the 1st October????
Original post by deatheater4134
How are people applying so early when most firms only open applications on the 1st October????

Because the firms that people have applied to already opened applications in early September
When a question asks what I enjoy doing in my spare time, should I talk about my responsibilities in a University Society or simply my hobbies?
Just received an email from JD about the reference, one week after I sent my application. Very, very nervous...
Original post by *Stefan*
Just received an email from JD about the reference, one week after I sent my application. Very, very nervous...

Will almost certainly result in an interview so don't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168

Did you apply for winter, spring or summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just tried to fill in an application for Linklaters but my school won't come up for the 'where did you study your A Levels?' and so I can't proceed to the next page. Has anyone else had the same problem?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by iano101
Will almost certainly result in an interview so don't worry too much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?! Thought they only screened the academics (rather than the CV) before asking for the reference. But that's awesome.

Original post by grisham
Did you apply for winter, spring or summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied for the winter scheme.
Really?! Thought they only screened the academics (rather than the CV) before asking for the reference. But that's awesome.

Applied for the winter scheme.

Yeah I have a friend who had the academics but his personal statement wasn't great so they didn't ask for reference and got rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iano101
Yeah I have a friend who had the academics but his personal statement wasn't great so they didn't ask for reference and got rejected.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see - thanks for letting me know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apparently JD is already full for winter intake.. recommended to apply for easter or summer!!
Original post by giggy12s
Apparently JD is already full for winter intake.. recommended to apply for easter or summer!!

Where did you hear this from?
Original post by giggy12s

Hope not as I have an interview next Monday for the winter scheme. Where did you hear this?
Original post by J-SP
There is bound to be an "other" type option, especially for internationally educated applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, literally nothing comes up
Reply 177
Hey guys, i'm currently on an Erasmus scheme but will be closely following this thread now that applications have started properly!

Does anybody know when the Pinsent Masons vacation scheme application opens? I looked on their site and it's still not there.
Reply 178
Original post by dlaiden
Hey all - I've been lucky enough to already secure a TC for 2019 at Clifford Chance, but I'll hang around this thread to share my experiences of interviewing successfully at CC, Slaughter and May and Pinsent Masons + try to answer general app questions. The 2016 thread was super useful to me so I'll try my best to help people where I can - just quote me!

Hey, massive congrats on the TC!! So I am really struggling with SM cover letter in terms of length! Like at the moment, I'm on 480 words, which is basically a page... do you think that is too long? And how specific were you because I feel like with other firms I have been more specific but with SM I have only got a couple of details that are really specific to them, the rest are more to do with my skills and being a successful commercial lawyer in general! Hope you can help!!
I emailed them to ask and they said November. They also said the website has been updated to reflect this but clearly not ahah

Original post by Weenja
Hey guys, i'm currently on an Erasmus scheme but will be closely following this thread now that applications have started properly!

Does anybody know when the Pinsent Masons vacation scheme application opens? I looked on their site and it's still not there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending