The Student Room Group

Options for me

Hi all, after much consideration and a lot of low points and breakdowns. I have recently come to the decision that I really want to pursue higher education. I want to learn more and have the whole university experience that so many people absolutely love.

The question is what is the best path for me? I'm looking to do something to do with Humanities (english lit, history or journalism) but I'm unsure how to approach it. I really wish I figured it out sooner so that I could have applied to a college for this year. I'm kinda hoping i still can but I'm not holding my breath. Can anyone who is knowledgeable offer me some advice?

I fear being older at Uni will be a disadvantage and people might stray away from me (22 at this point in time) and also just whether i'm actually good enough to go to university.
Click here to see a list of routes into university: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311

What qualifications do you have? If you don't have any then an Access course is probably your best option. Check to see if any colleges near you offer January-start dates, if you can't find any then I'm afraid you will have to wait until next year. There are lots if students in their early 20s at university, you certainly won't be at a disadvantage or be ostracised just for being a few years older.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
Click here to see a list of routes into university: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3401311

What qualifications do you have? If you don't have any then an Access course is probably your best option. Check to see if any colleges near you offer January-start dates, if you can't find any then I'm afraid you will have to wait until next year. There are lots if students in their early 20s at university, you certainly won't be at a disadvantage or be ostracised just for being a few years older.

Do access course start in January? I thought they're in September?*

I have GCSE's. Most my experience has been work life including army. *
Original post by Malevolent
Do access course start in January? I thought they're in September?*

I have GCSE's. Most my experience has been work life including army. *

I don't know. Some colleges might offer January start dates, at least they used to.
22 is hardly ancient - you're not going to have any problems in fitting in. You must have some idea that you're good enough to go to university or you would be entertaining the idea. Of course you're good enough to go.

I'd have a word with your nearest F.E. college which offers Access courses or, indeed, A levels to see what they could sort out for you this year. It's not too late, but it soon will be.
Reply 5
Original post by Reality Check
22 is hardly ancient - you're not going to have any problems in fitting in. You must have some idea that you're good enough to go to university or you would be entertaining the idea. Of course you're good enough to go.

I'd have a word with your nearest F.E. college which offers Access courses or, indeed, A levels to see what they could sort out for you this year. It's not too late, but it soon will be.

Thank you, yeah I just feel a bit worried about the age thing and saw that access courses would maybe alleviate that worry.*

My parents want me to work for 11 months and wait but I'm not sure I want to wait another almost whole year since its such a long time?*
Original post by Malevolent
Thank you, yeah I just feel a bit worried about the age thing and saw that access courses would maybe alleviate that worry.*

My parents want me to work for 11 months and wait but I'm not sure I want to wait another almost whole year since its such a long time?*

As long as it is financially possible for you, I would really seize the day and get on with it, rather than leave it another 11 months. 11 months can turn into 11 years if you're not careful, and surely it's good to take advantage of your enthusiasm and drive whilst it's there. Most Access courses will only be a few weeks into their courses, so with dedication you can easily catch up any missed work. I'd contact your local ones ASAP so you can crack on with it. Best of luck.
Reply 7
Original post by Reality Check
As long as it is financially possible for you, I would really seize the day and get on with it, rather than leave it another 11 months. 11 months can turn into 11 years if you're not careful, and surely it's good to take advantage of your enthusiasm and drive whilst it's there. Most Access courses will only be a few weeks into their courses, so with dedication you can easily catch up any missed work. I'd contact your local ones ASAP so you can crack on with it. Best of luck.

Thank you. My parents when i told them of my plan have been really expressed strong views against it but I feel for the first time in a long time after a few days of a very low point and thinking that I really want this. I'm willing to work my ass off for this. Even if it means I have to suffer with long nights and extra workload I'll do it.

If I can't find a course that is willing to accept me do you know of anything I can do or perhaps should do in the mean time to keep myself busy? *
I'm sorry to hear that your parents weren't supportive of your decision. Is there anything you could do to explain to them why you want to do it and persuade them that you're doing the right thing - to have them 'on side' would be beneficial.

I'd suggest that you spend a bit of time researching what sort of humanities course appeals to you - are you interested in literature, or factual journalism, or history? Where do you want to be in, say, 7 years time once you've got your degree? Once you've got an idea of where you want to be, you can realistically start to plan a path towards it. Access courses tend to have entry requirements, so could you do some research to check that you meet them and, if you think there could be a problem there, what could you do/offer to deal with that situation?

Hope that helps.
Embrace the moment! Most access courses are only a couple weeks in so may still be enrolling students.
I started off on an access to teaching and ended up starting a history degree at uni as access changed my mind. I'm in 2nd year at uni now, loving history and the people I sit with/talk to at uni are 8-10 years younger than me (I'm 29) no one cares about age at uni in my experience.
Go to open days, speak to lecturers and really get to grips with subjects so you can narrow down your options.
Wishing you luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm going against what some people have said here but 11 months is not a lifetime away. The colleges will be taking applications soon for next year and it will soon fly by. It will also give you a year to get some savings behind you meaning you can work less and concentrate more on your studies at the time. If you're motivated now then there is no reason why you won't in 11 months time. In fact it may even give you more motivation to work harder as it will be an opportunity that you'll appreciate more.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending