The Student Room Group

TSR Med Students' Society Part VI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Brockle
Aha, oh yes. The other one is:
"So, what brought you into hospital?"
"An ambulance..."

in my finals last year, had a really cute old guy that answered," to help some medical students pass their exams!"

It was a history station and he had written it all down and proceeded to recite from it directly without me having to ask anything else... Doubt the examiner was pleased *
Reply 641
Original post by Kaylain
in my finals last year, had a really cute old guy that answered," to help some medical students pass their exams!"

It was a history station and he had written it all down and proceeded to recite from it directly without me having to ask anything else... Doubt the examiner was pleased *

Hahahaha that's great
Original post by MJK91
Or my mess up the other day:

"A few Qs about your social life" -- thinking to ask about smoking, alcohol, occupation etc (normally say social history). Their response: I don't have one :P

That's your punishment for bad wording!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
That's your punishment for bad wording!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know :frown: I thought I'd already made all the simple errors! Alas not.
Really can't get back in to the swing of things. Leave placement as soon as I'm able and do no work when I get home. I have no motivation, just feel like I'm in limbo.
Reply 645
Original post by Anonymous
Really can't get back in to the swing of things. Leave placement as soon as I'm able and do no work when I get home. I have no motivation, just feel like I'm in limbo.

I felt like this for most of 5th year, my heart wasn't in attending seminars and my mind wandered when on placement and I went out far too much. You'll soon realise you need to check your attitude real quick otherwise you won't pass the year. I got a huge wakeup call about a month before my finals and now I'm a doctor but I could easily be repeating 5th year.

When the reality check comes calling make sure you answer but for now don't stress yourself.
Really can't get back in to the swing of things. I have no motivation, just feel like I'm in limbo.

Think about how hard 16/17 year old you worked to get where you are today. Then breakdown final year into manageable chunks in your mind and set mini milestones. Take one step at a time. You will get there!
Spent 30 mins being signed off for venepuncture/BCs but other than that today has been a huge write off. Tried 4 different wards who had nothing going on, AMU 1 & A&E were too busy for a early clinical med student (fair enough), AMU 2 was too quiet (".... rare?"). One of those days where you really don't want to spend time reading but have little choice :frown:
Original post by MJK91
Spent 30 mins being signed off for venepuncture/BCs but other than that today has been a huge write off. Tried 4 different wards who had nothing going on, AMU 1 & A&E were too busy for a early clinical med student (fair enough), AMU 2 was too quiet (".... rare?":wink:. One of those days where you really don't want to spend time reading but have little choice :frown:

I thought you were 2nd year? your on the wards in second year? Or have i mixed you up with someone else?
Original post by Natalierm2707
I thought you were 2nd year? your on the wards in second year? Or have i mixed you up with someone else?

2nd year GEM but we started on clinical stuff last year :smile: kind of in our transition to full time placements from now --> Christmas. Monday's our clinical day but I like to stick around even if it's meant to be self-directed learning time or whatever.
Clearly not anonymous.

Original post by Natalierm2707
snip

snip
I've managed to lose my stethoscope so need a replacement. I've been using a Littmann Classic II so far and have no complaints. Should I go for the same again, or the Classic III (or anything else?) 4th year student if that makes a difference?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rumours that hunt is going to try to introduce 4 years conscription for med students post-graduation...
Well the Foundation Programme application and how to rank these 21 deaneries is going to dominate my life for the next two weeks :eek3:

Original post by nexttime
Rumours that hunt is going to try to introduce 4 years conscription for med students post-graduation...

I'm calling dibs on the potential study that follows this, tentatively titled "The four year haemorrhage'.
(edited 7 years ago)

With free tuition and expenses paid for to reflect this commitment.
/sarcasm

Where are the rumours coming from?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maxxie
Well the Foundation Programme application and how to rank these 21 deaneries is going to dominate my life for the next two weeks :eek3:

I'm calling dibs on the potential study that follows this, tentatively titled "The four year haemorrhage'.

I started on the ranking. And got bored very quickly. So bored I actually went back to revising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that will be interesting hmm.
my country does 2 years fy and 2 years compulsory government service.
Original post by Newtothis83
I started on the ranking. And got bored very quickly. So bored I actually went back to revising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I lost East Anglia, and had to contact the Oriel people to get it back lol.
Original post by Newtothis83
With free tuition and expenses paid for to reflect this commitment.
/sarcasm

Where are the rumours coming from?

A few independent people have posted the supposed frontpage from the Independent for tomorrow morning which says it. Medics to be fined if they work abroad inside the first 4 years.

If its true I would a) strongly advocate striking again, and striking hard - this would mess up doctor's training so much and b) tell everyone and anyone I can to not study medicine. Four years where you are being essentially obliged to work for the NHS, no matter the conditions they place upon you, is absolutely absolutely unacceptable.
Original post by Jckc123
that will be interesting hmm.
my country does 2 years fy and 2 years compulsory government service.

Which country is that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending