The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Course: Marine Biology
Universities: Aiming for University of Glasgow. :heart: Not sure on other choices yet as I'd really have to think about how far I am willing to travel and whether or not I'm prepared to move again so soon. I'm settled for the first time since I was 18 (I'm 24, would be 25 by start of course).
Current: I'm currently doing a HNC in Applied Science and self-teaching Higher Human Biology.
Other: I already have a HND and a degree in an unrelated field from UWS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Course: International Relations with French
Unis: Swansea, Dundee, Aberdeen, Portsmouth, Stirling, Greenwich(safety)
Grades: I'm an international student from the US applying with a 3.7 GPA and 1270 SAT
Received an unconditional from Greenwich on 9/27
Original post by Nuba123
Don't know if I can join in because I'm a Scottish Applicant but I'll just add my stats anyway :biggrin:
Course: Medicine (4)/ Medicinal Sciences(1)
Universities: Dundee, Glasgow, Aberdeen and Edinburgh for medicine - Medicinal sciences at Dundee
Nat 5's: AAAAAAA
Highers: AAAAA
Advanced Highers (predicted): AAA (I think lol)
Extracurricular: sports leaders, charity shop, cafe volunteer @ a hospital, book & Italian club
Other: work experience @ General Practise and school for children with learning disabilities

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Hey I'm a Scottish applicant too and my choices for medicine are the exact same! :h: How are you getting on with your application, is it sent away yet?
I'm applying to Sheffield for postgrad-hopefully gonna do a PGCE.*

Original post by cami.w
Course: International Relations with French
Unis: Swansea, Dundee, Aberdeen, Portsmouth, Stirling, Greenwich(safety)
Grades: I'm an international student from the US applying with a 3.7 GPA and 1270 SAT
Received an unconditional from Greenwich on 9/27

How did you apply for 6 courses? You can't apply for more than 5 through UCAS*
Original post by Anonymous_girll
Hey I'm a Scottish applicant too and my choices for medicine are the exact same! :h: How are you getting on with your application, is it sent away yet?

No I've not sent anything but hopefully it'll be gone by the beginning of next week. wby? :smile:
Original post by super_kawaii
I'm applying to Sheffield for postgrad-hopefully gonna do a PGCE.*

How did you apply for 6 courses? You can't apply for more than 5 through UCAS*

I'm an international applicant, both Swansea and Greenwich wanted seperate applications
Just confirmed everything and had my application sent off! Hopefully the offers will start rolling in soon :biggrin:
Original post by cami.w
I'm an international applicant, both Swansea and Greenwich wanted seperate applications

All students applying to public UK unis require you to apply through UCAS, for which there is a maximum of 5 choices, regardless of country you're applying from.

I'm confused as to how public unis have avoided you using UCAS as UCAS is the only way unis process applications*
All students applying to public UK unis require you to apply through UCAS, for which there is a maximum of 5 choices, regardless of country you're applying from.

I'm confused as to how public unis have avoided you using UCAS as UCAS is the only way unis process applications*

i thought it would be like this too, and most unis i asked said to apply through ucas, but swansea said use its 'on track' system and greenwich its portal
Original post by cami.w
i thought it would be like this too, and most unis i asked said to apply through ucas, but swansea said use its 'on track' system and greenwich its portal

I always thought portals were post UCAS, but I guess some unis prefer illegitimate means :/
I always thought portals were post UCAS, but I guess some unis prefer illegitimate means :/

Haha i guess so, I know that Swansea's portal is just for inertanational students(and postgrads as well i believe). maybe some policies are changed for international applications?
Original post by cami.w
Haha i guess so, I know that Swansea's portal is just for inertanational students(and postgrads as well i believe). maybe some policies are changed for international applications?

Not normally-all the non EU international students I know, which is quite a considerable number as I did two East Asian languages while at uni, we're all required to apply through UCAS and UCAS alone. "Application Portals" just didn't exist, even as a concept
Reply 232
Course: Archaeology (and variants thereof like Arch and Anth)
Universities: Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL, Sheffield, Durham
Grades: Since I'm from the USA I have different qualifications
AP: 5 US History, 5 English Literature, 4 Biology, 4 French, and taking European History and English Language this year
SAT Subjects: 720 World History, 680 Biology M
SAT: 2290 (old version)
GPA: not sure exactly, 3.7 unweighted i think?
Extracurricular: Science research in paleontology and psychology, Wrestling, LGBTQ activism
Other: hoping to send in my application by next week as soon as my reference is done lol

also to any other usa applicants who have you had to proofread your personal statements cause none of my counselor/friends actually know what makes a good ps cause they're all doing common app stuff and the common app essays are drastically different
[QUOTE=super_kawaii;67869756]Not normally-all the non EU international students I know, which is quite a considerable number as I did two East Asian languages while at uni, we're all required to apply through UCAS and UCAS alone. "Application Portals" just didn't exist, even as a concept

that worries me a tiny bit, but oh well, nothing i can do now(:
Original post by kattur
Course: Archaeology (and variants thereof like Arch and Anth)
Universities: Oxford, Edinburgh, UCL, Sheffield, Durham
Grades: Since I'm from the USA I have different qualifications
AP: 5 US History, 5 English Literature, 4 Biology, 4 French, and taking European History and English Language this year
SAT Subjects: 720 World History, 680 Biology M
SAT: 2290 (old version)
GPA: not sure exactly, 3.7 unweighted i think?
Extracurricular: Science research in paleontology and psychology, Wrestling, LGBTQ activism
Other: hoping to send in my application by next week as soon as my reference is done lol

also to any other usa applicants who have you had to proofread your personal statements cause none of my counselor/friends actually know what makes a good ps cause they're all doing common app stuff and the common app essays are drastically different

hey i'm from the US as well, i've had my parents look at because they were willing to look at what its supposed to be made up of, also maybe try your referee because they had to read all the UCAS guidelines?
Name: IRoranth
Course: Politics and International Relations/Studies
Universities: Warwick, Nottingham, Kings College London, Birmingham and another one that I will figure out soon.
GCSE Grades: 2A*s, 2As, 4Bs and a C (C in Maths)
AS Grades: AAB
A2 Predictions: A*AB
Offers? Haven't applied yet but plan to do so soon.

(really pissed with that B prediction ugh).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dorababy1995
Don't worry - your choices will know theirs isn't the only course you're applying for. If you were applying for,s ay, history with maths (which most likely doesn't even exist), I wouldn't have anything to say, but English and history are pretty easy to link. :smile: I'm applying for straight English, but if I were you, I'd talk about how literature and language use are influenced (and, in the case of literature, often inspired) by important historical events or historical periods, and what this means to you or what you find interesting about this.

thank you! yeah, i've written about how the historical context of literature is important when analysing books and how texts can also help studying history :biggrin:
i pretty much have my heart set on UCL, i just hope they appreciate that i like english lit a lot too!
Name: m3racer123
Course: Physics
Universities: Oxford, Manchester, Warwick, Lancaster, Surrey
GCSE Grades: 11 A*s
AS Grades: AAA (Maths, Further Maths, Geography)
A2 Predicted: A*A*A*A (Physics, Maths, Further Maths, Geography)
Offers? Not yet - application only submitted today!
Name: Rhiannon
Course: Film and Television Production
Where: Anglia Ruskin University, University of Westminster, London South Bank, Arts University of Bournemouth, and London Met
Grades/Subjects: I'm coming in as a mature student and did Associates degree as a recent study with a 4.0
Offers: Submitted for Anglia Ruskin University and London Met, for international they required applying directly through the school the other three required UCAS.
Original post by cami.w
that worries me a tiny bit, but oh well, nothing i can do now(:

Don't worry about it, there are indeed universities with different policies for international applications. This seems to be a thing with UK universities outside of England from what I've seen, for example I applied to St Andrews through the common app, and they also had a direct application option (though you only made a direct application if you weren't applying anywhere else in the UK). You can still apply through UCAS, but it isn't necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending