The Student Room Group

AQA Geography - only doing 3 out of 4 topics

For the exam in June, we only actually answer questions on three out of the four topics - I was wondering if anyone is going to simply revise for three units and not do one of them. I appreciate this may be a risky and lazy mindset to have but I'm currently studying the Ecosystems topic and it really isn't doing anything for me in terms of enjoyment - I just find it really dull in all honesty. I've also found it's difficult too and I've gone from getting 191/200 UMS last year at AS to getting 3s,4s and 5s on 8 marker questions we have been doing in class. I am really enjoying Development and Globalisation right now (and I understand the work a lot more), and I am very confident I'll enjoy the other two topics (World Cities and Tectonics), because I enjoy human geography a lot more than physical, and at GCSE, tectonics was my favourite physical topic.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
Reply 1
joddcfc
X

Well done on your AS grade! :rave:

I'm only doing World Cities, Development and Globalisation and Tectonics (which is my favourite so far! :excited:)

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing 3 out of 4 since my teachers haven't said anything about that and it also enables one to properly focus on the topics for that ''depth and breath'' that's needed. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by aamirac
Well done on your AS grade! :rave:

I'm only doing World Cities, Development and Globalisation and Tectonics (which is my favourite so far! :excited:)

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing 3 out of 4 since my teachers haven't said anything about that and it also enables one to properly focus on the topics for that ''depth and breath'' that's needed. :redface:

Thanks! Thanks also for the fast reply :smile: very reassuring that you are also only 3 of the 4. Good to know we are doing the same topics too - good luck with them come May!
Reply 3
Original post by joddcfc
Thanks! Thanks also for the fast reply :smile: very reassuring that you are also only 3 of the 4. Good to know we are doing the same topics too - good luck with them come May!

How are you finding it so far in general?
Oh and for the 8 markers I suggest doing a small intro and then 3/4 PEEL paragraphs and a tiny conclusion. Try that next time and that might be good as that's what I've found help me. :redface:
(Though I still have to work on those 10 and 40 markers. :eek:)
Reply 4
Original post by aamirac
How are you finding it so far in general?
Oh and for the 8 markers I suggest doing a small intro and then 3/4 PEEL paragraphs and a tiny conclusion. Try that next time and that might be good as that's what I've found help me. :redface:
(Though I still have to work on those 10 and 40 markers. :eek:)

Really enjoyed last year. Only started ecosystems and development and globalisation this year, which are my least fave and fave topics of all the units done at AS and A2 - so I guess they balance out! What about you? Thanks for the advice on 8 markers - much appreciated! Haven't done a dreaded 40 marker yet😬 Although last years grade boundaries were 66 for an A* and 58 for A, which is encouraging as that in theory means just 29 and 26 ish needed for those grades on the 40 marker respectively.
Reply 5
Original post by joddcfc
Really enjoyed last year. Only started ecosystems and development and globalisation this year, which are my least fave and fave topics of all the units done at AS and A2 - so I guess they balance out! What about you? Thanks for the advice on 8 markers - much appreciated! Haven't done a dreaded 40 marker yet😬 Although last years grade boundaries were 66 for an A* and 58 for A, which is encouraging as that in theory means just 29 and 26 ish needed for those grades on the 40 marker respectively.

I've always preferred the physical options, since I find that's easier to understand and I'm more interested in that side of geography. :rofl:
I've tried a 40 marker and did crap on it. Make sure you have solid research before writing one! :redface: So I still need to perfect the structure of those. :redface:
Meh, that's true, but I'm still pushing myself to do the best I possibly can on those since you know what the boundaries are like for geog. So horrifyingly close to each other! :afraid:
Reply 6
Original post by aamirac
I've always preferred the physical options, since I find that's easier to understand and I'm more interested in that side of geography. :rofl:
I've tried a 40 marker and did crap on it. Make sure you have solid research before writing one! :redface: So I still need to perfect the structure of those. :redface:
Meh, that's true, but I'm still pushing myself to do the best I possibly can on those since you know what the boundaries are like for geog. So horrifyingly close to each other! :afraid:

Economics is what I want to do at uni so human topics like development and globalisation have really interested me - - does your degree link with physical geography? Thanks for the advice again, and yeah it's ridiculous how you can drop 24 marks and get an A*, but drop 41 marks and get a C!
Reply 7
Original post by joddcfc
Economics is what I want to do at uni so human topics like development and globalisation have really interested me - - does your degree link with physical geography? Thanks for the advice again, and yeah it's ridiculous how you can drop 24 marks and get an A*, but drop 41 marks and get a C!

I do Economics at a level.:teehee:
Ohh I'm not applying to university this year. Plus I wouldn't be able to since I don't have a science or maths. :redface:
I know right! You can drop marks so easily. Hence why I'm trying to work as hard as I can to maximise my chances! :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by aamirac
I do Economics at a level.:teehee:
Ohh I'm not applying to university this year. Plus I wouldn't be able to since I don't have a science or maths. :redface:
I know right! You can drop marks so easily. Hence why I'm trying to work as hard as I can to maximise my chances! :colondollar:

What course will you end up applying for next year?
Reply 9
Original post by joddcfc
What course will you end up applying for next year?

I really don't know. :redface:
Anyways, good luck for the rest of the year! :rave:
Reply 10
Original post by aamirac
I really don't know. :redface:
Anyways, good luck for the rest of the year! :rave:

Fair enough, and thanks - good luck too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending