The Student Room Group

Birmingham Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by elish2chambers
Wow amazing stats! Where else are you looking at applying?

As it stands, I'll be applying to Cambridge, Newcastle and Liverpool. Liverpool solely because I'm part of a widening participation scheme with the Univesity :smile:

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kozmo
As it stands, I'll be applying to Cambridge, Newcastle and Liverpool. Liverpool solely because I'm part of a widening participation scheme with the Univesity :smile:

What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck with applying! And we have a few of the same choices, at the minute I'm looking at applying to Birmingham, HYMS, Nottingham and Newcastle/UEA (I'm waiting for the UKCAT data to be released before I decide on Newcastle for definite as I'm not sure my 717 average will be enough this year).
Original post by Kozmo
Hi everyone!

I'll be applying to Birmingham for 2017 entry. My calculated score is 10/10 :smile:

Hey again aha and congrats on the full score! Did you visit bham?
Reply 23
Original post by isabella1999
Hey again aha and congrats on the full score! Did you visit bham?

Hey! :smile:

Yea, I went to one of the first open days quite sometime ago now and I loved it!

Seems like a brilliant city (similar to my home city), campus was great, traditional course which I like and the staff / student advocates were very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kozmo
Hey! :smile:

Yea, I went to one of the first open days quite sometime ago now and I loved it!

Seems like a brilliant city (similar to my home city), campus was great, traditional course which I like and the staff / student advocates were very helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, wasn't the campus so pretty? :biggrin: I loved the red brick buildings and the medical school and accomodation. I like the course too, not a fan of some of the city as not really used to how industrial it is but there is so much to do it would grow on me
Reply 25
Yeah, wasn't the campus so pretty? :biggrin: I loved the red brick buildings and the medical school and accomodation. I like the course too, not a fan of some of the city as not really used to how industrial it is but there is so much to do it would grow on me

It was!
I never had a chance to visit the accommodation, how was it?

Yea, you'll grow to love it :smile:
Where else you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would love to go to birmingham, but didn't get an A* in english. My GCSEs were 2A* and 9As. I got 700 and band 1 in UKCAT.
Should I bother applying?
Original post by Kozmo
It was!
I never had a chance to visit the accommodation, how was it?

Yea, you'll grow to love it :smile:
Where else you thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ultra modern, I went to see the vale all of the accomodation was in this green park around a massive lake some of the views were great and the rooms were nice too! :smile:

Cambridge, Bristol and Edinburgh :smile: wbu
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Janoschr
Would love to go to birmingham, but didn't get an A* in english. My GCSEs were 2A* and 9As. I got 700 and band 1 in UKCAT.
Should I bother applying?

I didn't Get an A* in English language, I would go on the calculator, enter your grades and UKCAT and see what your score is! As If your other A's were maths and sciences you may have a problem
Reply 29
Ultra modern, I went to see the vale all of the accomodation was in this green park around a massive lake some of the views were great and the rooms were nice too! :smile:

Cambridge, Bristol and Edinburgh :smile: wbu

Ooh, that sounds good. Which accommodation will you be applying to if you receive an offer then?

Cambridge, Newcastle and Liverpool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kozmo
Ooh, that sounds good. Which accommodation will you be applying to if you receive an offer then?

Cambridge, Newcastle and Liverpool :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it was! It depends if I go for catered on non catered. If catered, Chamberlain (was like a hotel eg only lifts, spacious rooms, 3/4 beds) and if non catered, Mason (Not as modern but still really great!) wbu
Reply 31
Yeah it was! It depends if I go for catered on non catered. If catered, Chamberlain (was like a hotel eg only lifts, spacious rooms, 3/4 beds) and if non catered, Mason (Not as modern but still really great!) wbu

Haven't really looked at accommodation at bham yet (or anywhere bar Camb), so I'm yet to decide 😂 probably whichever looks the nicest 👀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello, I am considering studying medicine at Birmingham and was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I am worried in regards to the number of A*s needed at GCSE, I have heard that there is a minimum cut off point of either 7 or 8 but I only have 6.
UKCAT= 670 (2010)
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done lots of volunteering and work experience!
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of applying and what chances I would have of getting an interview

Thank you!!!
Original post by nickynjoe
Hello, I am considering studying medicine at Birmingham and was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me. I am worried in regards to the number of A*s needed at GCSE, I have heard that there is a minimum cut off point of either 7 or 8 but I only have 6.
UKCAT= 670 (2010)
VR= 570
QR= 740
AR= 700
Band 2
AS grades= AAAA
A2 predicted= A* A* A
GCSE grades= 6 A*s and 3 As
I have done lots of volunteering and work experience!
I was just wondering if anyone has any advice for me in terms of applying and what chances I would have of getting an interview

Thank you!!!

There's no cut off anymore! 7 GCSEs get scaled to a score of 7, so depending on which subjects your A*s are in you should have a great score! Check out the offer calculator online - it's really helpful:biggrin:
Thank you for your reply, I put all of my results into the calculator and it has just said 'considered for interview', and I got a score of 8.084, is it worth applying do you think??
Thank you for your reply, I put all of my results into the calculator and it has just said 'considered for interview', and I got a score of 8.084, is it worth applying do you think??

Yes definitely if you like the course /uni! The cut off last year was 6.17, though most with interviews had 8+. I got a similar score to you and i'm applying:biggrin:
Thank you and good, I think I am going to apply!!! what other unis are you applying for if you don't mind me asking?? :smile:
Thank you and good, I think I am going to apply!!! what other unis are you applying for if you don't mind me asking?? :smile:

I'm still trying to narrow it down, but I'm choosing between Liverpool, Sheffield, Barts, St George's, Leicester and Bristol! What about you?
At first I loved Newcastle but my UKCAT score wouldn't be high enough to apply because they're so heavy on it, I think Hull York, Birmingham, Liverpool/Sheffield, Bristol or Cardiff and I've started looking at Nottingham as well :smile: I can't chooseeee!!! :smile:
Hello! Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm really delighted with how in the UKCAT I did given my low expectations. Thinking my application will be Glasgow, Manchester, QUB ( I live in Belfast, but would really like to go away for university, and while QUB is great I hope this isn't my only offer), and possibly Birmingham/HYMS. What do you think of medicine as a course and what's it like to study it at Birmingham? Apparently its a really busy course from day one there. Is it an expensive city to live in? Did you get campus/university accommodation in first year? Do you have much free time?
My full stats are currently:
AS Levels: AAAA (bio,chem,politics, English)
Predicted A2: A*A*A (though to be honest I personally expect 1 A*)
GCSE's: 9A*s, A, B
UKCAT: 703.33 avg band 2
TOTAL: 2110 Work Exp: Volunteering in an A+E dept. currently, have shadowed an Upper GI Surgeon for one day, GP surgery and Children's Hospice days.

I would be delighted and grateful for any advice as I'm sure you're extremely busy!! Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending