The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kira Yagami
DO you mind sending me a link to those papers you did please (not the past paper ones)

They're all here, whatever you're looking for.
She did the bronze, silver and gold papers for each module.

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/

What Alevels are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Day 13
I just completed the 2010 Paper for MAT. I did nothing in terms of revision except MAT preparation today. Although I did complete my homework (I had about 3 sets of Homework to do)
Target: 70/100
My results:
MAT 2010 | Q1: 28/40 | Q2: 8/15 | Q5: 15/15 | Q6: 4/15 | Q7: 3/15 | TOTAL = 58/100
Not exceptionally well, I need to work on timing too and I need to up my Question 1 game, I need to be achieving as high as possible in Question 1 where its multiple choice. Question 2, 6 and 7 I just knew I wouldn't get without looking at the solutions, I think I'll spend more time on them on have some clarity of thought.
For a first attempt its not bad I guess... I'm about 12 marks away from my goal, with a month left to prepare so I'm going to hit this one on the head i hope!
(edited 7 years ago)
Day 14
Further Maths
I have completed Series and Matrices of FP1 by myself today and I am attempting exam questions on both of these topics today. This will be until about 7'o clock. (I do complete exercise questions but when we do it in class)
EDIT: I did complete a bunch of Matrices questions and a bunch of Series questions and I noticed they're all pretty much the same! I think I'm confident with the exam questions but the textbook questions have more variety so I'm going to attempt those tomorrow in class!
Physics
We've done a bit on Damping Oscillations, but other than this not a lot more
Computer Science
Successfully handed in Part 1. I can now give Computer Science a rest until my entrance exam for Oxford is over. By rest, I mean, do Maths in my Computer Science "lessons" and focus on MAT. I'll request my deadline to be extended for the next part of my coursework.
EPQ
Successfully handed in Part 2. I can now give EPQ a rest until my entrance exam is over. I'll request for the deadlines to be extended for the next part of the EPQ. I have another deadline this Friday which is my assignment due so I'm meeting that soon!
MAT
I'm going to attempt MAT 2009 questions 2,5,6 and 7 tonight from 7'o clock.
EDIT:
Okay its now 7:45 ( i spent the last 45-60 minutes cooking and eating and cleaning super super fast!) But this goes to show that usually I expect things to just not go to plan! This means I might have to adjust my plan a bit but not just give up on it. I think I'm going to attempt MAT 2009 2,5,6 (probably won't complete 7)
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey! I was just wondering is FP1 hard?

I'm self teaching further maths and so far I've completed D1 and onto completing S1. After I will be doing FP1 and was wondering whether it was hard or not? And whether self teaching would be tricky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Someboady
Unfortunately this year my college gave me the worst teachers for all my subjects so I plan on self-studying Computer Science and half of my Further Maths modules. My Physics teacher is okay I guess, though I struggle to understand her accent/wording sometimes. I requested to change classes twice but I was denied quite harshly both times unfortunately. So I've got to stick with and make the best of my situation.

A-level Physics is a difficult subject, some say its the toughest subject to do at A-levels (sorry chemistry people). Definitely I would say the exams this year were very very difficult but overall Physics is fun to learn about, but its all about being able to apply what you know in the right way. Also you do quite a few experiments and some are quite boring but Physics in itself has always been very interesting.

I'm sure your Physics teacher is most gratified that you have deigned to continue attending her lessons.
Original post by DamnDaniel2

I'm self teaching further maths and so far I've completed D1 and onto completing S1. After I will be doing FP1 and was wondering whether it was hard or not? And whether self teaching would be tricky?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,
Absolutely not! FP1 is quite an easy module! I think Matrices is probably the most tricky and won't take long to learn! (though I haven't done proof by induction just yet) Self-teaching honestly is easy for Maths considering the resources on the internet. Complex numbers is a breeze, numerical methods is basically just core 3 stuff with a little bit added to learn, co-ordinate systems is just coordinate geometry from c1/c2 applied to parabolas, matrices is slightly more difficult in getting your head around it but nonetheless its easy stuff and series is a walk in the park.
How did you find D1? Best of luck with your Further Maths!
Original post by Reality Check
I'm sure your Physics teacher is most gratified that you have deigned to continue attending her lessons.

Oh no, I do attend her lessons of course! I'm obliged to attend all my lessons but I definitely do attend my Physics lessons (it's probably my most important lessons).
Hey,
Absolutely not! FP1 is quite an easy module! I think Matrices is probably the most tricky and won't take long to learn! (though I haven't done proof by induction just yet) Self-teaching honestly is easy for Maths considering the resources on the internet. Complex numbers is a breeze, numerical methods is basically just core 3 stuff with a little bit added to learn, co-ordinate systems is just coordinate geometry from c1/c2 applied to parabolas, matrices is slightly more difficult in getting your head around it but nonetheless its easy stuff and series is a walk in the park.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you think S2 or D1 is easier?
You copied my UCAS choices formatting:angry:.. just kidding it's fine though haha :biggrin:

"For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad."

I feel you on this one, in past years Physics class sizes were so small (i.e. ~4 people) that they let each person choose their own optional topic then just taught them to each person individually or whatever, but for some reason this year our A-level Physics class size is 20... I blame the Brian Cox effect.. Now I'm stuck doing Astrophysics. It could be worse, but I personally would have rather done Medical Physics.

Good luck!
Oh no, I do attend her lessons of course! I'm obliged to attend all my lessons but I definitely do attend my Physics lessons (it's probably my most important lessons).

What are you tips for an A* in Physics. Also how many hours do you study per day
Original post by mahmzo
What are you tips for an A* in Physics. Also how many hours do you study per day

I haven't achieved an A* yet! I achieved a high A-grade at AS level. Just keep on top of the work, ensure you understand EVERY concept. Make sure you know everything on the specification and then practice practice practice! Save those new spec papers till last though!
Original post by DarkEnergy
You copied my UCAS choices formatting:angry:.. just kidding it's fine though haha :biggrin:

"For Physics I'm studying the AQA Syllabus and doing AstroPhysics for my option despite having chosen Turning points... my college sucks so bad."

I feel you on this one, in past years Physics class sizes were so small (i.e. ~4 people) that they let each person choose their own optional topic then just taught them to each person individually or whatever, but for some reason this year our A-level Physics class size is 20... I blame the Brian Cox effect.. Now I'm stuck doing Astrophysics. It could be worse, but I personally would have rather done Medical Physics.

Good luck!

Yes! Sorry xD I copied it and then I was trying to remember your name so that I could tag you but I got distracted... I'll do that now. So sorry! :P

Wow! Those are some really small class sizes xD! Yeah I bet people chose it because of the Brian Cox effect xD, in fact I guarantee most of my class only chose Physics because of Brian Cox. Medical Physics sounds tough! In fact a Physics degree sounds really really tough, props to you for choosing it!
Yes! Sorry xD I copied it and then I was trying to remember your name so that I could tag you but I got distracted... I'll do that now. So sorry! :P

Wow! Those are some really small class sizes xD! Yeah I bet people chose it because of the Brian Cox effect xD, in fact I guarantee most of my class only chose Physics because of Brian Cox. Medical Physics sounds tough! In fact a Physics degree sounds really really tough, props to you for choosing it!

Haha it's fine, you don't have to.

Yeah we got pretty unlucky this year :frown: Medical Physics is basically just a normal Physics degree + some medical physics modules. Thank you!
Hey,

Oh ok! Thank god :smile: I was very worried lol. Sounds pretty interesting tbh quite excited to learn it!

I have a problem though, with maths I seem to not be able to apply my knowledge most the time. Sometimes I look at the mark scheme and I'm like dang it I could've done that or I am not able to use my knowledge to do questions that are harder than the exercise questions in the textbook and are written slightly differently! Do you know how I can stop this?

D1 is very easy for me :smile: I did a paper and scored 100% so I think D1 is fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Himtiaz
Do you think S2 or D1 is easier?

I haven't done S2 as I am only in year 12 and am doing C1, C2, S1, D1, M1 and FP1. Will be doing S2 next year but I'd probs say D1 is easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't done S2 as I am only in year 12 and am doing C1, C2, S1, D1, M1 and FP1. Will be doing S2 next year but I'd probs say D1 is easier!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What other subjects are you taking?
Reply 156
Original post by Chittesh14
I am not qualified to give advice on getting to Oxford, but it doesn't mean I can't give advice? It's my opinion, it may be true or not but I say stuff according to what I read.

I know he is a nice guy, maybe you're not. Where have I tried to diminish him or bring him down? I've actually said that he can do it, I want him to.

Stop clogging the forum with your ****, Some of us actually want to see when he has updated what he's doing. Being the whole point of the post.
Day 16
Further Maths
We've completed Matrices in class (I completed it at home) and we're going to begin series soon (which I have already completed at home). I personally will continue my MAT preparation!
FP1 Remaining: Proof By Induction
S2 Remaining:
M2 Remaining: Work Energy Power, Impulse

Physics
Apparently, we miraculously completed Further Mechanics and have begun Thermal Physics. We missed a section of the specification (or we briefly went over it) which sucks because I'll have to learn this in my own time, which in case you didn't know already, isn't a long time. Either way we've begun Thermal Physics. I plan on making some notes on Further Mechanics tonight in time for my test next week! I intend to do practice questions tomorrow.
Remaining:
Thermal Physics
Fields
Gravitational Fields
Electric Fields
Capacitance
Magnetic Fields
Radioactivity
Astrophysics
MAT
This is the big update. I scored 67/100 on the 2011 MAT paper! I don't know if it was me marking generously (I hope I didn't) but according to my calculations and the Oxford website, that's about 3/4 marks away from the average mark of a successful applicant! I gained most of my marks from Question 6 (logic) and question 7 (more logic) and I lost 12 marks on the first question unfortunately. I'm sure if I got even one of those correct, I'd be in a better position! I'm going to attempt the 2012 Paper tonight and hopefully score 70! Maybe I fluked the 2011 paper but hopefully this will show it! (although I didn't fully time the 2011 one, I probably went a bit overboard in terms of timing)
(edited 7 years ago)

MAT
This is the big update. I scored 67/100 on the 2011 MAT paper! I don't know if it was me marking generously (I hope I didn't) but according to my calculations and the Oxford website, that's about 3/4 marks away from the average mark of a successful applicant! I gained most of my marks from Question 6 (logic) and question 7 (more logic) and I lost 12 marks on the first question unfortunately. I'm sure if I got even one of those correct, I'd be in a better position! I'm going to attempt the 2012 Paper tonight and hopefully score 70! Maybe I fluked the 2011 paper but hopefully this will show it! (although I didn't fully time the 2011 one, I probably went a bit overboard in terms of timing)

Congrats fam!
Original post by KoDang
Stop clogging the forum with your ****, Some of us actually want to see when he has updated what he's doing. Being the whole point of the post.

If you say so lol... don't read it then, so sensitive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending