The Student Room Group

Medicine, but no UKCAT?

Hey everyone.

I'm a student in the north-west currently doing an access to higher education course (science and engineering) via the biology, chemistry and mathematics pathways.

It's early in the year, but on results from first units I am predicted 39 credits at distinction (out of 45) or more. Not sure what any A level equivalence will be, but hey.

At any rate, I am looking to apply to Medicine for the 2017 entry however it's clearly far too late for the UKCAT to be taken and this is due to me not knowing if I'd be able to do my access course this year.

So, to sum it up. Are there any medical courses in the UK that do not ask for a UKCAT score or can waive it in lieu of other things? If not I plan to apply to paramedic science and get a BSc to go the GEM route, but I'd rather just apply this year to the A100 or A104/BM6 type courses if I qualify.

Really need help, this has taken the wind out of my sails a bit and would love some advice.

Thanks a lot!
Reply 1
I don't know a lot about undergrad entry, but it seems as though all use the UKCAT now albeit some universities placing heavier emphasis on it than others.

Are you able to take a gap year to get some work experience alongside sitting the UKCAT? As I wouldn't recommend the GEM route unless you had no other option as it is more costly and more competitive.
Original post by Marathi
I don't know a lot about undergrad entry, but it seems as though all use the UKCAT now albeit some universities placing heavier emphasis on it than others.

Are you able to take a gap year to get some work experience alongside sitting the UKCAT? As I wouldn't recommend the GEM route unless you had no other option as it is more costly and more competitive.

Whilst I could take a gap year for sure I would rather not. I've spent about six years away from education due to health concerns and now I am finally able to return the last thing I want to do is leave again and spend a year just doing WE/UKCAT things.

I know GEM is more expensive but that can be somewhat managed, what do you mean that GEM is more competitive? I've spoken to a few people in medicine admissions and generally found that a BSc in Paramedic Science (2:1 or above) would stand me in very good stead for any graduate entry courses, especially given that it is essentially three years of work-based experience in medicine.

Honestly I am still torn here as I want to move away and begin my uni life as soon as possible but due to bad research on my part and iffy timing it doesn't seem possible this year for medicine at least. :frown:.
Reply 3
Original post by AccessToWhere
Whilst I could take a gap year for sure I would rather not. I've spent about six years away from education due to health concerns and now I am finally able to return the last thing I want to do is leave again and spend a year just doing WE/UKCAT things.

I know GEM is more expensive but that can be somewhat managed, what do you mean that GEM is more competitive? I've spoken to a few people in medicine admissions and generally found that a BSc in Paramedic Science (2:1 or above) would stand me in very good stead for any graduate entry courses, especially given that it is essentially three years of work-based experience in medicine.

Honestly I am still torn here as I want to move away and begin my uni life as soon as possible but due to bad research on my part and iffy timing it doesn't seem possible this year for medicine at least. :frown:.

The exams are tougher, GEM programmes expect higher UKCAT scores and the GAMSAT is a rough experience compared to the UKCAT. Alongside this there are less courses and less places per course. However applicant numbers are still high due to the amount of people who wanted to get into medicine at the college stage but fell short at their A-levels, alongside those who realised at a later age that medicine is for them.
Why aren't you taking the BMAT? You would still have a month or so of practice time :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending