The Student Room Group

exceptional circumstances

(edited 7 years ago)
I'm sorry to hear that. Yes you would. how old are you right now?
Original post by samantham999
I'm sorry to hear that. Yes you would. how old are you right now?

Im 16 right now and have just started a levels:smile:I was hoping to apply for it for my gcse grades
Original post by ihatehistory123
Im 16 right now and have just started a levels:smile:I was hoping to apply for it for my gcse grades

what career path? and have you completed gcse's? x
what career path? and have you completed gcse's? x

yes i've completed all my gcse's

Maths-b
English lit-a*
English lang-a
graphics-a*
history-a
re-a
science-a
additional science-a

im currently doing history, english and graphics
yes i've completed all my gcse's

Maths-b
English lit-a*
English lang-a
graphics-a*
history-a
re-a
science-a
additional science-a

im currently doing history, english and graphics

Your GCSE's are very good, well done. Especially since you have been ill
You could write in your personal statement how you've missed many years due to your illness and how you have still managed to obtain A grades. Your teachers could also write that

How are you finding AS? what career path would you like to enter? / degree
Your GCSE's are very good, well done. Especially since you have been ill
You could write in your personal statement how you've missed many years due to your illness and how you have still managed to obtain A grades. Your teachers could also write that

How are you finding AS? what career path would you like to enter? / degree

Thank you! It was honestly such a struggle trying to get those grades!
Quite frankly i hate AS and want to quit. I have no idea what i want to do in life or what career path i want to do:s-smilie:

Do you think i could get exceptional circumstance added onto my gcse grades?
Thank you! It was honestly such a struggle trying to get those grades!
Quite frankly i hate AS and want to quit. I have no idea what i want to do in life or what career path i want to do:s-smilie:

Yes of course! Your circumstances are serious so make sure you tell your teachers to add it on your reference and say how you balanced cancer treatments/being sick and still obtaining super A grades. You could have also done better but you were sick things like that

Law? its a strong career path and your a levels are good for it?
what interests you? x
Yes of course! Your circumstances are serious so make sure you tell your teachers to add it on your reference and say how you balanced cancer treatments/being sick and still obtaining super A grades. You could have also done better but you were sick things like that

Law? its a strong career path and your a levels are good for it?
what interests you? x

so do you think if i got it added on, some of my grades would move up? i read that the maximum is 5%

Also i quite like law but having to go to uni and study for it isnt really appealing :frown:everyone always tells me i should be a lawyer because im so good at winning arguments:colondollar: Idk what to think tho-is it worth it?
so do you think if i got it added on, some of my grades would move up? i read that the maximum is 5%

Also i quite like law but having to go to uni and study for it isnt really appealing :frown:everyone always tells me i should be a lawyer because im so good at winning arguments:colondollar: Idk what to think tho-is it worth it?

A levels are the worst but everyone is on the same boat, I can promise you.
Do Law, its such a good career path and you seem studious with a natural talent too.
Every degree is somewhat boring and unappealing at times but the career is the most interesting part. 3 years will fly by and with law your arguments have to be formed properly and like you said you are pretty good at winning so yes do it!

I think you may need to speak to your teachers/I would say head of year as she/he can explain properly your circumstances with maximum % added on

If you can manage to achieve three A grades as your predictions then you can apply to the BEST universities. Law at universities is not just essays on essays, there are so many societies and you are actually helping people through pro-bono :smile:
A levels are the worst but everyone is on the same boat, I can promise you.
Do Law, its such a good career path and you seem studious with a natural talent too.
Every degree is somewhat boring and unappealing at times but the career is the most interesting part. 3 years will fly by and with law your arguments have to be formed properly and like you said you are pretty good at winning so yes do it!

I think you may need to speak to your teachers/I would say head of year as she/he can explain properly your circumstances with maximum % added on

If you can manage to achieve three A grades as your predictions then you can apply to the BEST universities. Law at universities is not just essays on essays, there are so many societies and you are actually helping people through pro-bono :smile:

so should i go ahead with the exceptional circumstances thing or is it not worth my time?

Also at the end of studying for law, can you become a lawyer? My interest in law would be the criminal side of it-how would i go about actually doing that?

Thank you so much btw
so should i go ahead with the exceptional circumstances thing or is it not worth my time?

Also at the end of studying for law, can you become a lawyer? My interest in law would be the criminal side of it-how would i go about actually doing that?

Thank you so much btw

So you will have to study law for 3 years (make sure its a good university) and then you will have to complete the LPC which is the legal practice course that everyone MUST do. You then train with a law firm (make sure they have criminal law departments, most will) and then you're qualified.

Its not long, you're working when you're 22

I think it should be noted that you were out of school for 3 years because its not fair on you. Your illness is to blame if anything goes wrong because you still managed to get good A grades. So as I said please speak to your head of year and tell him you want it included in your reference. Make sure you say it otherwise it will not happen. The universities will more likely give you an offer as they will understand your situation :smile:

Nope its too late, it needs to be applied for within a short period after finishing the exams.
Original post by 999tigger
Nope its too late, it needs to be applied for within a short period after finishing the exams.

are you sure??
Hi all- i missed up to 3 years of school on and of due to cancer.Would I qualify for exceptional circumstances? If so how many percent? I know the maximum is 5.

It depends. Are you in remission? Is the illness affecting you now? I dont think missing school qualifies you for any special circumstances. You should contact the exam board or talk to your exam officer.

2.3.1 long term illness or other difficulties during the course affecting revision time, unless the illness or circumstances manifest themselves at the time of the assessment;
Original post by 999tigger
It depends. Are you in remission? Is the illness affecting you now? I dont think missing school qualifies you for any special circumstances. You should contact the exam board or talk to your exam officer.

2.3.1 long term illness or other difficulties during the course affecting revision time, unless the illness or circumstances manifest themselves at the time of the assessment;

okay thank you!
okay thank you!

Talk to your exam officer, think you will find the deadline was sometime in July. Its about 2 weeks after the exams end. GDunne, Compost and Carbationlilyrose know enough about how special consideration works. There may be some other allowance the xam boards will consider to reflect your situation.

You would have had to have been physically affected at the time or close to that time.

You cant carry it forward to your A levels unless you are being affected. I dont know in your case whether they wuld make any allowance for your past condition. Im assuming you are in remission.

The rules are here
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0ahUKEwiKsL6Rwr_PAhWKCMAKHSdWA4MQFggqMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jcq.org.uk%2FDownload%2Fexams-office%2Faccess-arrangements-and-special-consideration%2Fregulations-and-guidance%2Fa-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2016-2017&usg=AFQjCNF5bf0PueUvy-hT9DxU_Kad2a-kyg&cad=rja
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi all- i missed up to 3 years of school on and of due to cancer.Would I qualify for exceptional circumstances? If so how many percent? I know the maximum is 5.

Hope you are now through the problems you have had to face.

As others have said, special consideration is applied for when you take the exams or immediately after and definitely before results. It is used to compensate for issues occurring that affect you during the exams and specifically not for the years of disrupted education you faced beforehand. Exams are supposed to test what you know, if you didn't learn stuff because you weren't there or well enough to study it then special consideration doesn't apply. If you were unwell on the day of the exam and couldn't perform to your best ability, then it would. If you were undergoing treatment or awaiting treatment/diagnosis during your actual exams I would be surprised if it wasn't applied for at the time. However, if it wasn't, you can't apply retrospectively to have adjustment to the grades you have now been awarded.

If you are still affected by the impact of medication or other treatment or by the anxiety of waiting for more tests/diagnostics then talk to your exams officer about what might be appropriate for future exams.

I can't imagine that the years of disruption didn't affect the number of GCSEs you finally completed and the grades you were able to obtain. If you apply to university, the person who writes your reference can explain what you went through and put your achievements into context.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, I think if cancer doesn't count as 'exceptional circumstances', then nothing will. As has been said, EC cannot be retrospectively applied, but could of course be mentioned if you feel it necessary on a UCAS application or application to college/apprenticeships.

Quick Reply

Latest