The Student Room Group

Can you take an exam indipendtendly?

I need GCSE Biology for my university course, I work full time so I don't have time to go to classes. I also don't want to pay for anything like the open college. Can I just put myself in for the exam at centre? If so how do I go about doing this?
Reply 1
I did my GCSEs as an external candidate (without a school or college). Some colleges take students from outside, usually for a small fee (twenty quid, I think?) but I had to email around to find somewhere.

I would recommend just phoning local colleges and asking if they would accept an external exam candidate for GCSE Biology :smile:
Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by sek510i
I did my GCSEs as an external candidate (without a school or college). Some colleges take students from outside, usually for a small fee (twenty quid, I think?) but I had to email around to find somewhere.

I would recommend just phoning local colleges and asking if they would accept an external exam candidate for GCSE Biology :smile:
Good luck!

Thanks, that's really helpful! :smile: I have looked at a couple of local colleges, they don't actually teach GCSE Biology, would I be able to sit the exam at a college even if they don't teach it? (if that makes sense)

P.s I meant independently :colonhash:
Reply 3
Glad I could help! It depends on the college, I think. When I did my GCSEs, they charged extra for exams that they didn't normally sit (and some colleges wouldn't let me sit exams there that their students weren't doing anyway).

I think you'd be better off looking for places that do GCSE Biology already, and asking to join in with their students.
Original post by sophiejvc
I need GCSE Biology for my university course, I work full time so I don't have time to go to classes. I also don't want to pay for anything like the open college. Can I just put myself in for the exam at centre? If so how do I go about doing this?

You can either ring round local colleges and schools to ask if they take private candidates.

Try and google them for your area.

Ring up the exam board and ask them where there are local exam centres that take private candidates.
Reply 5
Yes you can, GCSE and A-Levels work hand in hand with the independent sitting examination style as well, I'm self teaching in Maths ALevel and plan on doing that by myself.

Just out of curiosity what you planning on doing in University?
Reply 6
Original post by slot_
Yes you can, GCSE and A-Levels work hand in hand with the independent sitting examination style as well, I'm self teaching in Maths ALevel and plan on doing that by myself.

Just out of curiosity what you planning on doing in University?

Thankyou. I am planning to study Dental Hygiene and Therapy :smile:
Reply 7
It's very difficult/expensive to arrange to do controlled assessment as a private candidate so you'll need to enter for IGCSE Biology (probably this one https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-international-gcses-and-edexcel-certificates/international-gcse-biology-2011.html ) as that doesn't have any. If you are prepared to teach yourself then there's no need to go anywhere that teaches it, just find a centre willing to enter you. It's likely to cost £50-£150 to take the exam, depending where you find.

Quick Reply

Latest