The Student Room Group

Just Finished my Personal Statement AMA

Tips on how to write it, avoid procrastination, how not to overthink after you've done it (meee), what are good topics to put on, what mine was on, AMA :smile:

Scroll to see replies

What's your favourite breed of goat? :holmes:
I really like pygmy goats such as this one.
How long is a rope?
Reply 4
I have an actual question, How did you write the first paragraph? Any tips?
Original post by pamplemousse.
I really like pygmy goats such as this one.

Wow, you actually have a favorite breed of goat.
Original post by XOR_

I said AMA so gotta be game like. My limits are only creepy stuff, I don't mind random stuff.
have you dont DofE or NCS? if yes did you put it down and how did u write it?
Original post by johnTroy1
How long is a rope?

A rope is twice as long as half its length.
what did you apply for init
A rope is twice as long as half its length.

You google'd it. Cheaters never win.
Original post by XOR_

A voice in your head saying, "You've goat to be kidding me."

:getmecoat:
Original post by asinghj

I'm not the OP but I did mine last year and if I remember correctly I wrote where my original interest in the course came from and things like that to show my dedication to the subject.

Question for the OP: How relieved are you now that it's over? :biggrin: Now to just wait for replies and know that once you have offers your PS won't even be looked at unless you miss your grades (which I'm sure you won't).
Original post by K.H.A.N™
have you dont DofE or NCS? if yes did you put it down and how did u write it?

No, I haven't done DofE or NCS- outdoorsy, team-based things aren't really for me so I didn't want to do it for the sake of it as something to put down. They're great for some people, not so much for me.

I'd say what you put about it depends on your course. You don't want to be too vague or wishywashy, maybe if you want to do Geography or something you could say it helped you be efficient and co-operative in an outdoor environment emulating a field study. Or drama you could see something about working with different personalities and combining leadership and teamwork.

What course are you applying for? That might help you know what direction to take it in.
Original post by johnTroy1
You google'd it. Cheaters never win.

Yeah, I googled it, I thought it was funny.
Original post by KyleH123
what did you apply for init

I've applied for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge (no chance lmao but I'd love to get an interview and talk to experts in that subject if I can!), French and ab initio Italian at Leeds (love Leeds), Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster.
I've applied for Modern and Medieval Languages at Cambridge (no chance lmao but I'd love to get an interview and talk to experts in that subject if I can!), French and ab initio Italian at Leeds (love Leeds), Manchester, Liverpool and Lancaster.

Optimism please. Why have you got any less chance than anyone else?
Original post by XOR_

Who doesn't :tongue:

OP

No, I haven't done DofE or NCS- outdoorsy, team-based things aren't really for me so I didn't want to do it for the sake of it as something to put down. They're great for some people, not so much for me.

I'd say what you put about it depends on your course. You don't want to be too vague or wishywashy, maybe if you want to do Geography or something you could say it helped you be efficient and co-operative in an outdoor environment emulating a field study. Or drama you could see something about working with different personalities and combining leadership and teamwork.

What course are you applying for? That might help you know what direction to take it in.

What is your 3rd least favourite shade of blue? Describe it in detail. You will be marked on your spelling, punctuation and grammar. A bonus mark is to be awarded for a reference to dungarees. [9 marks]
Original post by KyleH123
Optimism please. Why have you got any less chance than anyone else?

Well, the competition is very high and I don't wanna set myself up for disappointment :smile: I'll try my best and see it as a positive experience whatever comes out of it. Plus my GCSEs are kind of ewww haha :smile:
Original post by asinghj

I wrote about what I think the study of languages combines and how the interplay of these factors makes me want to study languages at degree level. I made a point about the rules of language.

I tried to say- I know what studying this is about, and this, in particular, is why I know studying it further IS for me and I know what this course entails.

After is for more detailed discussion of texts or work experience or whatever.

Quick Reply

Latest