The Student Room Group

why are some young people under 30 Remain voted so childish in their reaction Brexit?

First I did not vote in the election so do not start belittling me online.
1) they come across as ageist as they call people over 50 names for voting for Brexit . Who were alive when Britain join EU and remember the time before Britain was part of the EU.
2)I know of people who voted for Brexit because of EU red tape that was hindered them running their business (they were of Polish Jewish descent)
3) What wrong with having control immigration from EU as we have from countries that are outside the EU (e,g Kosovan pediatrician who come to work in Britain has to go through immigration control. when an unemployable Frenchman who got a criminal record for violence and been in prison can come and live in Britain or any other EU country)
5) Many people who voted for Brexit were from ethnic minorities
6) I would like the same control immigration for British people who want to live and work in the EU as outside (E.g. British person should be subjected to the same immigration control as a person from Kosovo if they wanted to live or work in the EU).
7) It wrong and bullying to call people name for voted for Brexit
8)Some Remain votes try to undermine British democracy by asking for another vote because you don't like the result of an Election
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think many reacted badly amongst other reasons they were lazy and assumed it was in the bag. I cant tell you of how many I have met that are distraught that the vote went to leave, yet couldn't be arsed to actually vote and are now calling for a re-vote.
While I somewhat agree that the whining for a revote is annoying, I would like to address this point:

Original post by looloo2134
First I did not vote in the election so do not start belittling me online.
1) they come across as ageist as they call people over 50 names for voting for Brexit . Who were alive when Britain join EU and remember the time before Britain was part of the EU.

A 50 year old now would've been born in 1966. Britain joined the EU in 1973. They would've been 7 years old. A 60 year old would've been 17 when Britain joined. Your point really doesn't say much.
Reply 3
Original post by Retired_Messiah
While I somewhat agree that the whining for a revote is annoying, I would like to address this point:

A 50 year old now would've been born in 1966. Britain joined the EU in 1973. They would've been 7 years old. A 60 year old would've been 17 when Britain joined. Your point really doesn't say much.[/QUO

i said a person over the age of 50 and i remember the miner strike on the news and i was about 6.year old. And a 17-year-old at the time of Britain joining EU would know what life was like before joining the EU.
Reply 4
I wouldn't have said I've seen much maturity from either side tbh, which is bound to happen when the campaigns were essentially imaginary.

Many of the reasons people voted leave (unelected leaders, lots of red tape, immigration) haven't/won't change in the slightest once we've left.

Equally a lot of the reasons put forward to stay were hypothetical worst case scenarios if we left.

It was a dirty vote and was always going to have a foul fallout. It never should have been put to a referendum in the first place.
People were pissed that the Leave campaigners got to lie through their teeth to ensure they win, then distance themselves from any real responsibility when things went sideways after dismissing their critics as fear mongering.

On a more personal level, as somebody who spends over 80% of my time each month in Europe for work, the Brexit vote wiped a significant chunk off the value of my salary when the pound tanked, with no signs of recovery.

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
I work for a local authority in London processing housing benefit applications forms and I have noticed that around 70% of claimants have ID that shows they were born in other EU countries. I find this wrong as a person from America would not be allowed to come here and work for a low income and get any form of benefits along with free health care & schooling.
I work for a local authority in London processing housing benefit applications forms and I have noticed that around 70% of claimants have ID that shows they were born in other EU countries. I find this wrong as a person from America would not be allowed to come here and work for a low income and get any form of benefits along with free health care & schooling.

Which authority?

I reckon anyone from the commonwealth should be able to, especially India as there is too much interdependence between our two nations. There is no legitimacy to the extent of slavic migration though.
i said a person over the age of 50 and i remember the miner strike on the news and i was about 6.year old. And a 17-year-old at the time of Britain joining EU would know what life was like before joining the EU.

You would know what life was like as a child and teenager before joining the EU. Pretty important distinction. You may have remembered seeing the miner's strike on the news at 6 but do you honestly think you were very aware of what it was about at that age?
Oh come on, don't act like the Leave camp wouldn't have acted the same, had the vote gone the other way haha. :tongue:
Original post by Retired_Messiah
You would know what life was like as a child and teenager before joining the EU. Pretty important distinction. You may have remembered seeing the miner's strike on the news at 6 but do you honestly think you were very aware of what it was about at that age?

Of course i don't know what life was like before joining the EU because i was not born. However, my parents do they remember almost full employment for young people being able to buy their first flat in London at 24.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Oh come on, don't act like the Leave camp wouldn't have acted the same, had the vote gone the other way haha. :tongue:

most people in Leave camp were older and have realized that acting like a toddler is pointless.
And why does the Leave campaign continue to act smug over their "victory"? Oh yeah, thats because you have a meaningless life and youve jumped on the brexit bandwagon to add meaning to your lives.

We've gotten over it, we still think its a stupid decision so perhaps lets see whether or not it is a good thing for the country instead of parading over a decision that could potentially prove catastrophic.

It's the leave campaign that has split our country up. We should be working together and hoping that this was the best outcome and yet all I see on this site is people like OP rubbing it in remainers faces.
most people in Leave camp were older and have realized that acting like a toddler is pointless.

You clearly haven't met many old people....
Original post by fksociety
And why does the Leave campaign continue to act smug over their "victory"? Oh yeah, thats because you have a meaningless life and youve jumped on the brexit bandwagon to add meaning to your lives.

We've gotten over it, we still think its a stupid decision so perhaps lets see whether or not it is a good thing for the country instead of parading over a decision that could potentially prove catastrophic.

It's the leave campaign that has split our country up. We should be working together and hoping that this was the best outcome and yet all I see on this site is people like OP rubbing it in remainers faces.

As i wrote OP i never voted in the election because i could not careless it Britain stay in the EU or left it I think Britain would be find ever why.

It what I have noticed about the behaviour of many young people who wanted to remain in the EU. Ever before the vote they belittle people who might vote for leave camp on social media name calling such as retard.

It also funny because if you want people to understand your point of view and change theirs. You don't make somebody's hackles rise by name calling and undermining them.
Of course i don't know what life was like before joining the EU because i was not born.

I was referring to the miners strike you said you remembered, not the EU.

However, my parents do they remember almost full employment for young people being able to buy their first flat in London at 24.

A) Is there sufficient evidence for the booming economy back in those days to be at all related to not being in the EU?
B) If your parents aren't in their 70s then would they not have bought this flat while Britain was in the EU?
As i wrote OP i never voted in the election because i could not careless it Britain stay in the EU or left it I think Britain would be find ever why.

It what I have noticed about the behaviour of many young people who wanted to remain in the EU. Ever before the vote they belittle people who might vote for leave camp on social media name calling such as retard.

It also funny because if you want people to understand your point of view and change theirs. You don't make somebody's hackles rise by name calling and undermining them.

Ok but that was a long time ago. Yes, the leave campaign got roasted but theres no need to continue crying about it.

What's the point in changing people's view after the referendum? :biggrin: I didnt vote, and im still adamant that leaving was stupid.

You brexiters are part of a continuing trend of people getting offended over everything. It's not that big a deal for you to be raising it and attacking remainers more than a 100 days after the referendum. Most people stopped with the roasting about 2 weeks later so shut up.

It's also blatantly clear you're a brexit supporter. None of your points even slightly sympathise with remainers who have plenty of solid reasons to be frustrated/
Reply 17

Then why are many of them still being incredibly immature?
Because these predominantly sheltered, pretentious, middle class Remainers used to getting their way and having their views and opinions validated repeatedly by the popular Left-wing media, who were so smug and self-assured in the likelihood of victory, were given a hard slap in the face by the long, unforgiving c**k of reality.

But first comes denial, then anger, bargaining, fear, and finally, acceptance. They'll get over it.

It's a small taste of what's to come if Trump wins.

8)Some Remain votes try to undermine British democracy by asking for another vote because you don't like the result of an Election

Disagree with this one, a lot of the calls for a second vote came about as the leave campaign IMMEDIATELY started back tracking on their promises or said they were never really feasible to begn with, combined with news coverage of loads of leave voters basically saying "oh god what have we done". So there was a certain amount of "would people still vote leave knowing all XYZ is not actually going to happen?".

Of course i don't know what life was like before joining the EU because i was not born. However, my parents do they remember almost full employment for young people being able to buy their first flat in London at 24.

Things were cheaper in the early seventies (VASTLY fewer people for one reason) but London was one of the places it was unremarkable to still be living with your parents because it was so expensive even back then.

Quick Reply