The Student Room Group

2x^2+(3-K)x+K+3=0 Maths help?

I have to find the range of values K could have for 2x^2+(3-K)x+K+3=0 to have two real distinct roots. If someone understands this, please help out!
Original post by ~xSarahx~
I have to find the range of values K could have for 2x^2+(3-K)x+K+3=0 to have two real distinct roots. If someone understands this, please help out!

for the quadratic ax2+bx+c \displaystyle ax^2 +bx + c to have two distinct roots b24ac>0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0
Reply 2
Original post by DylanJ42
for the quadratic ax2+bx+c \displaystyle ax^2 +bx + c to have two distinct roots b24ac>0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0

Thanks! I understand that but I just honestly don't understand how to figure this whole thing out :/ I can't really find any good examples online and it's just really confusing me.
Thanks! I understand that but I just honestly don't understand how to figure this whole thing out :/ I can't really find any good examples online and it's just really confusing me.

In your quadratic what do you think a=, b= and c= ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

do you understand the quadratic formula, or at least how it gets you the roots of a quadratic?

well the quadratic formula tells us that the roots of the quadratic equation ax2+bx+c=0 \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are x=b±b24ac2a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

As you know you cannot square root a negative number so in order for real roots to exist the part under the square root sign must be > 0.

If the part under the square root is zero we end up with x=b±02a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{0}}{2a} which means both roots are the same. You still get 2 roots but they are same ie not distinct roots.

Finally if the part under the sqaure root is positive then you get two distinct roots, namely x=b+b24ac2a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} and x=bb24ac2a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

In Summary;

So if a quadratic has no real roots then the part under the square root sign is negative ie b24ac<0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac < 0

If a quadratic has a repeated root (this means both x values you find from the quadratic formula are the same) then the part under the square root sign is equal to 0 ie b24ac=0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac = 0

Finally if a quadratic has two distinct roots then the part under the square root is > 0 ie b24ac>0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0

I hope this clears it up at least a little for you :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by gdunne42
In your quadratic what do you think a=, b= and c= ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's another issue I'm having.
so
a= 2xˆ2

but I'm not sure where that x between (3-k) and k+3 goes.

is it
b= (3-k)x OR b=(3-k)

c=k+3 OR c=x+K+3

I've never done this with k before which is why i'm so useless at this...
Reply 6
Original post by DylanJ42
do you understand the quadratic formula, or at least how it gets you the roots of a quadratic?

well the quadratic formula tells us that the roots of the quadratic equation ax2+bx+c=0 \displaystyle ax^2 + bx + c = 0 are x=b±b24ac2a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

As you know you cannot square root a negative number so in order for real roots to exist the part under the square root sign must be > 0.

If the part under the square root is zero we end up with x=b±02a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b \pm \sqrt{0}}{2a} which means both roots are the same. You still get 2 roots but they are same ie not distinct roots.

Finally if the part under the sqaure root is positive then you get two distinct roots, namely x=b+b24ac2a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b + \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a} and x=bb24ac2a \displaystyle x = \frac{-b - \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a}

In Summary;

So if a quadratic has no real roots then the part under the square root sign is negative ie b24ac<0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac < 0

If a quadratic has a repeated root (this means both x values you find from the quadratic formula are the same) then the part under the square root sign is equal to 0 ie b24ac=0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac = 0

Finally if a quadratic has two distinct roots then the part under the square root is > 0 ie b24ac>0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0

I hope this clears it up at least a little for you :biggrin:

Thank you for explaining it out like that! The question is starting to make more sense for me! :smile: :smile:
Perhaps this way will make it clearer.

For the equation (a)x^2 + (b)x + (c) = 0, we want b^2-4ac > 0.

Your equation is

(2)x^2 + (3-k)x + (k+3) = 0

Perhaps looking at it that way will make it a little easier to understand.:h:
That's another issue I'm having.
so
a= 2xˆ2

but I'm not sure where that x between (3-k) and k+3 goes.

is it
b= (3-k)x OR b=(3-k)

c=k+3 OR c=x+K+3

I've never done this with k before which is why i'm so useless at this...

a is the coefficient of the x^2 term = 2
b is the coefficient of the x term = (3-k)
c is the constant at the end = (k+3)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for explaining it out like that! The question is starting to make more sense for me! :smile: :smile:

youll get by if you learn off the summary part at the bottom. Just know whether to use b24ac>0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac > 0 ,b24ac=0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac = 0 , b24ac<0 \displaystyle b^2 - 4ac < 0 depending on whether they ask for 2 distinct roots, 1 repeated root or 0 real roots
Reply 10
Original post by sammygmfc
Perhaps this way will make it clearer.

For the equation (a)x^2 + (b)x + (c) = 0, we want b^2-4ac > 0.

Your equation is

(2)x^2 + (3-k)x + (k+3) = 0

Perhaps looking at it that way will make it a little easier to understand.:h:

Oh oh ohhhh!

So...perhaps

(3-k)ˆ2 - (4x2x[k+3]) > 0 would be..right? Or am I still not getting it?
Oh oh ohhhh!

So...perhaps

That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh oh ohhhh!

So...perhaps

That's right. Then solve to find the set of values for which k could be.

Quick Reply

Latest