The Student Room Group

How did you choose your A-Levels

Scroll to see replies

within 30 mins lol, bc i completely changed my mind, didnt wanna do sciences, stuck to english instead lool
i do philosophy and ethics. it's fairly straightforward if you are good at learning facts and writing good essays. the stuff you cover is quite interesting and really gets you to think about a lot of things.
choose a levels that you have a passion for, subjects that you can see yourself studying for at least another two years. languages are my thing, so french and german are my other two a levels. go with what interests you above anything else bc you'll find it hard to get a good grade in something that you hate.
Reply 22
I picked the ones I got the highest grades in at GCSE, which were Spanish Maths Bio and Chem, I also got an A* in RE but course looked boring
Mixture of subjects I liked (maths and chemistry) and subjects I thought are interesting and I'm good at (physics and biology)
Same way I picked my GCSE's: Random thoughts.

For GCSE I picked:
Computer science because I wanted to hack games and make my own programs since downloading hacks never works.
Geography because I wanted to learn how to read a map if I get lost (I'm deadly serious. I realise how dumb it was but I enjoyed it anyway)
French because my family speaks broken french
Business because I wanted to bribe people and understanding how business works might help.

I sound like a flipping criminal lol.

A level choices:
Physics because I love it when anime characters calculate stuff like how they should aim a shot or something. An example might be in No game No life the sexy cat empress girl playing heads or tails, I forgot her name. Also because I had nothing else to pick so it's a crappy reason.

Psychology because I am SO interested in people and why people behave in certain ways. I grew up shy therefore I'm an "observer" and I'd love to understand people down to their very core. I find psychology real easy too so it's a subject suited for me.

Maths because everyone said it's good so why not.

Since I have literally no plan for the future I based it on ridiculous ideas. But whatever, school isn't interesting anyway so idgaf.
French = because I wanted to take a language and I love French

Travel and Tourism = It was between this and Economics for my final option and this seemed more fun

Geography = Please don't ask, I don't know why I'm doing it and I wish I wasn't :frown:

Economics = I was pushed into doing a 4th subject and this was the only one I was interested in, turned out to be a waste of a year because I came out of the exam feeling confident just to find out I got a D. Was basically rubbish at it so dropped it
I chose my A levels purely on impulse and a quick "Did I hate this at GCSE Y/N" given that I'm totally devoid of proper aspirations.

Afaik for film directing A levels are gonna be near-irrelevant so pick things you enjoy the most that leave you qualified for the other thing. In that list I personally would've gone Maths, Economics, Business Management and Philosophy and Ethics (That said, if that particular course doesn't do much in the way of meta-ethics then the ethics part is likely to suck ass, although in my philosophy class it's only me that gets worked up about that tbf)

In that list, my sixth form doesn't do business, economics or psychology and does a different philosophy thing to you (called just philosophy as opposed to philosophy and ethics). I do maths and philosophy. The way you learn and do maths doesn't really change from GCSE what with it being erm... the way it is I guess...But the concepts are quite a lot harder in places. As for philosophy, mine will be different to yours but every philosophy course ever does a bit of religion and a bit of Descartes stuff seeing as he did something on nearly every philosophical concept ever. I don't take English but one of my mates does, and he seems to have to do a long winded essay for it every other week...

I believe I have covered everything.
Original post by Photograph999
I am in year 11 and I have 2 months, before my first 6th form application, to decide what A-Levels I should take. I have narrowed it down to 6 but I don't know what to pick.
I know that when I am older I would like to be a film director or a marketing manager (I know two completely different career choices) and so I have made sure that the small list I have made can help me in someway towards those two careers.
These are the short-listed A-Levels:
- English
- economics
- business studies
- psychology
- philosophy and ethics
- maths
I know that some of these are similar but this is where I need advise.
If anyone takes these A-Levels and can give me idea's on what you do, or if anyone can share exactly how they chose their A-Levels I would be so appreciative.
Thanks 8)

Well out of these 6 i do 2 of them one of them being economics which is piss easy its just general knowledge and is respected by unis, also maths which opens so much doors in the future and just shows your passion and skill in mathematics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I did my A-Levels, I just picked subjects that I found interesting.
Absolutely knew I would take Maths so that wasn't really not an option.
Chemistry was one of my favourite + best subjects at GCSE, and I thought that I might like to do something chem-related.
Biology because I thought I really enjoyed it and was considering a career in medicine (now though, I feel like I actually just loved the teacher instead of the subject itself, and I'm not that great at it either tbh but meh)

And then I spent ages debating whether or not I should take Further Maths as an additional 4th and in the end decided to do so, mainly just because of the fact that I really enjoy maths and know that I would later regret not doing it. I'm also considering doing something more mathematical in the future and so it would be really useful and keep options open :h:

I mean, my best subjects would have actually been Maths, FM, Physics and Computing but honestly just don't enjoy them enough so I didn't wish to study them for 2 years.
(edited 7 years ago)
History = Because I loved GCSE History and some of the topics I am doing (Spain 1469-1556, French Revolution etc.) fit in with two of my other subjects as well

French = Ever since I started secondary school it has been one of, if not my favourite subject. I love the language, the culture, and it was my best GCSE grade, helped me discover my love and interest for languages so I have a slight soft spot for it

Spanish = Similar to French, was one of my favourite subjects and I find Spanish History fascinating (another reason why I chose A Level History), would love to pursue it later on at university as well

English Lit = Although I am dropping it as I am not interested in the texts we cover anymore and the work load is too much, I picked it up as I got an A* at GCSE and my teacher really wanted me to do it, I also like writing essays once I get into it

Classical Civilisation = I haven't started this yet, but I am picking it up as I like History, was good at this subject in Year 7 (yes, that was the last time I did it lol), it has a module in Athenian Democracy which sounds so interesting, and I can also do it as an AS level and drop it after this year (this I can't do with my other 3 subjects)
Original post by Photograph999
Very similar to how it is now in GCSE's, just reading the book analysing it and looking at the context. We don't look at why the author wrote the book or how other people interpret what they have written so the fact that at A-Level you mainly focus on the author and the setting, the stage etc.. It almost makes it come more alive.
I wouldn't mind becoming a director so for me to be able to think and discuss more on where it is, the stage, why he/she wrote it like this and the message that they wanted to show, it interests me. GCSE English doesn't interest me one bit.
Are the books your studying good?

Yes, you're right. Studying the book and the author as well does allow you to immerse yourself fully in the issues it raises and context in which it sits.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the books I've studied - Tess of the d'Urbervilles and The Kite Runner I've loved particularly.
I chose 3 subjects based on what I completely enjoy/would enjoy.
My fourth was a subject that was going to challenge me.
Ended up with 3 A's in the subjects I enjoyed (AS)
and an E in the one that was supposed to challenge me :redface:

My advice: Do what you enjoy :biggrin:
Original post by sazriah
I chose 3 subjects based on what I completely enjoy/would enjoy.
My fourth was a subject that was going to challenge me.
Ended up with 3 A's in the subjects I enjoyed (AS)
and an E in the one that was supposed to challenge me :redface:

My advice: Do what you enjoy :biggrin:

What subjects were those?
Original post by MajorFader
What subjects were those?

AAA in English Lit, Gov and Politics and Sociology. E in Maths.
Just some advice based on people I went to college with:
Don't take English Literature if you hate reading
Don't take drama if you are too anxious to speak in lessons
Don't take music if you don't like noise
Don't take politics if you're not a Corbynista (although that might just have been my college)
I think at GCSE it's hard to tell whether you like a subject. Just pick what subjects you can be civil with for the next two years. If you feel you could do a level maths, do it.
Original post by Joseph72602
Same way I picked my GCSE's: Random thoughts.

For GCSE I picked:
Computer science because I wanted to hack games and make my own programs since downloading hacks never works.
Geography because I wanted to learn how to read a map if I get lost (I'm deadly serious. I realise how dumb it was but I enjoyed it anyway)
French because my family speaks broken french
Business because I wanted to bribe people and understanding how business works might help.

I sound like a flipping criminal lol.

A level choices:
Physics because I love it when anime characters calculate stuff like how they should aim a shot or something. An example might be in No game No life the sexy cat empress girl playing heads or tails, I forgot her name. Also because I had nothing else to pick so it's a crappy reason.

Psychology because I am SO interested in people and why people behave in certain ways. I grew up shy therefore I'm an "observer" and I'd love to understand people down to their very core. I find psychology real easy too so it's a subject suited for me.

Maths because everyone said it's good so why not.

Since I have literally no plan for the future I based it on ridiculous ideas. But whatever, school isn't interesting anyway so idgaf.

So in a nutshell pick random subjects for random means or, if worst comes to worst, pick a subject based on cartoons.
Fair enough.
(btw i love how anime's calculate too, its so depressing that cartoons are smarter than me)
Reply 38
My parents forced me to take 3 sciences and maths, no question.
Don't regret it actually.
I want to go into a STEM career not quite sure what it's going to be so I decided to take all three Sciences Biology, Chemistry, Physics and also Maths to make sure I have plenty of choice.

Quick Reply

Latest