The Student Room Group

Weird lump

Hello

For the past weeks i have felt pain in around my shoulder and under my arm. Which led me to find a lump under the skin of my under arm. And now im freaking out.

Does anyone think it could be serious and what should i do??

Scroll to see replies

Self diagnosis on the internet is the worst thing you could do. Book an appointment with your GP.
Reply 2
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Self diagnosis on the internet is the worst thing you could do. Book an appointment with your GP.

Oh damn that what i have been doing. And im scared to go to the GP though
Reply 3
If it's painful then it's most likely a cyst or a lymph node but the best bet is to go to the GP and get it checked over. Chances are it's nothing serious and might even resolve itself in a few days but always best to get it checked. I know how scared you are. We all think the worst when we find a lump but chances are it's more than likely nothing serious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Hello

For the past weeks i have felt pain in around my shoulder and under my arm. Which led me to find a lump under the skin of my under arm. And now im freaking out.

SAME

I have had mine for over 6 weeks now, I'm going in for a scan because I'm terrified at this point. It's small (this is a good sign) but it's hard, non-painful and usually that is not a good sign from what I've read.

I'm a hypochondriac so I've obviously exaggerated everything I've read.

Honestly I've been on far too many cancer forums of people explaining their cancerous lumps. I really hope your lump is nothing (I really hope my lump is nothing :frown:).

I've been to the GP and had a blood test and everything seems okay, I'm just not convinced because, well, I'm crazy and have read too many stories on cancers not being shown through blood tests etc.

Honestly, DON'T FREAK OUT LIKE ME. Stay calm, get it checked and it's like to be nothing, most of the time it is completely nothing so dw.
Original post by Spock's Socks
If it's painful then it's most likely a cyst or a lymph node but the best bet is to go to the GP and get it checked over. Chances are it's nothing serious and might even resolve itself in a few days but always best to get it checked. I know how scared you are. We all think the worst when we find a lump but chances are it's more than likely nothing serious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate lumps. :frown:
Oh damn that what i have been doing. And im scared to go to the GP though

What's there to be scared of, that's what GPs are there for. In the unlikely event that it is something serious it's better to get it checked out sooner rather than later.
Reply 7
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
What's there to be scared of, that's what GPs are there for. In the unlikely event that it is something serious it's better to get it checked out sooner rather than later.

Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
SAME

I have had mine for over 6 weeks now, I'm going in for a scan because I'm terrified at this point. It's small (this is a good sign) but it's hard, non-painful and usually that is not a good sign from what I've read.

I'm a hypochondriac so I've obviously exaggerated everything I've read.

Honestly I've been on far too many cancer forums of people explaining their cancerous lumps. I really hope your lump is nothing (I really hope my lump is nothing :frown:).

I've been to the GP and had a blood test and everything seems okay, I'm just not convinced because, well, I'm crazy and have read too many stories on cancers not being shown through blood tests etc.

Honestly, DON'T FREAK OUT LIKE ME. Stay calm, get it checked and it's like to be nothing, most of the time it is completely nothing so dw.

Original post by Spock's Socks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you guys for the advice :smile:
Reply 8
Hello

As SS said, it's most likely something like a cyst. Go get it checked by a doctor and until then try not to worry or poke around at it. Cysts in your underarms can press on sensitive parts and be pretty painful even in other parts of your arm. Although something serious like cancer is worth investigating for it is actually very unlikely so not really worth worrying yourself over until you've seen somebody.
If breast cancer is your concern it may also ease your mind a bit to know that although possible, breast cancer tends not to be painful. If your lump is painful it would tend to indicate other issues.

When you book an appointment you can ask for a male or female and a chaperone (somebody you know or a nurse) if you want one. They will take a look at the area and have a bit of a feel. If they are concerned they may examine your breasts/ chest or refer you for further tests. If you have a specific concern you can ask them about it and they can address it. When I had a breast exam after a simmilar situation to you they were very nice and explained why they didn't think cancer was a concern and how to self examine myself in the future. It is a bit of a nerve wracking experience especially if you are worried about what they might find, but honestly it is not bad. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you guys for the advice :smile:

PM me if you want, I've honestly been dealing with this for weeks so I understand your fear.
I had the same lump recently! Dont worry, it hurt for me but it went away after a couple of days. Honestly you're fine I wouldn't worry about it
:smile:
Original post by Spratty
I had the same lump recently! Dont worry, it hurt for me but it went away after a couple of days. Honestly you're fine I wouldn't worry about it
:smile:

I try not to but i have had i for over a month and i think it has grown
Original post by Kindred
As SS said, it's most likely something like a cyst. Go get it checked by a doctor and until then try not to worry or poke around at it. Cysts in your underarms can press on sensitive parts and be pretty painful even in other parts of your arm. Although something serious like cancer is worth investigating for it is actually very unlikely so not really worth worrying yourself over until you've seen somebody.
If breast cancer is your concern it may also ease your mind a bit to know that although possible, breast cancer tends not to be painful. If your lump is painful it would tend to indicate other issues.

Thank you for the advice, and thats a relief to hear that.

PM me if you want, I've honestly been dealing with this for weeks so I understand your fear.

Thank you
Thank you for the advice, and thats a relief to hear that.

Thank you

Anon, its most likely an infection so get it checked out and if it is, make sure you get some antibiotics from your doctor. Take care :smile:
Original post by Spratty
Anon, its most likely an infection so get it checked out and if it is, make sure you get some antibiotics from your doctor. Take care :smile:

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Kindred

When you book an appointment you can ask for a male or female and a chaperone (somebody you know or a nurse) if you want one. They will take a look at the area and have a bit of a feel. If they are concerned they may examine your breasts/ chest or refer you for further tests. If you have a specific concern you can ask them about it and they can address it. When I had a breast exam after a simmilar situation to you they were very nice and explained why they didn't think cancer was a concern and how to self examine myself in the future. It is a bit of a nerve wracking experience especially if you are worried about what they might find, but honestly it is not bad. :smile:

Did you also have a lump? I also had a breast examination and the doctor felt the lump and said it was too small to worry about and didn't allow me a scan to ease my mind :frown:
As above have said. Go see your GP as soon as possible, and try your best to calm down until diagnosed. Overwhelming chances it's nothing too serious. But best checked just in case. Might be just a cyst these things happen.
I try not to but i have had i for over a month and i think it has grown

Sorry I didn't see this before, can I just say in your head you may think that but it's likely it hasn't grown.

For example I remember measuring my lump and thinking it was over a cm and the doctor felt it and said it felt like a few mm's. I measured it myself (in a calmer state) and it came out to about 0.5cm's which probably isn't to worrying.

Honestly, anything over 2cm's may pose some concern, but it's likely you head will think it's bigger than it actually is. Please don't worry too much (don't worry like me, I've driven everyone around me CRAZY XD).
Go to the GP, don't let fair stop you. I'm sure its nothing serious but it's worth getting it looked at
Did you also have a lump? I also had a breast examination and the doctor felt the lump and said it was too small to worry about and didn't allow me a scan to ease my mind :frown:

Only in my armpit and by the time it came to the exam it was mostly gone (so clearly a cyst) and was just the pain I was bothered about. No concerns with my exam. If you are still worried I suggest you go back and ask for more info. You can get private scans btw but they cost like £200 so probably not something you're after. If you can't get a scan I would keep a watch on it to make sure nothing changes. If it does go straight back and tell them. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest