The Student Room Group

Struggling with homophobia in the church.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Seamus123
With your *****y attitude, I hope you don't have kids or plan to have any because what will you do if one of them turns out to be gay?

I'm never having kids love X
Original post by lowza
I will just point out that I am a woman, and I'm straight so I guess I do like 'effing men' but I'm pretty sure the bible is happy with that.

It's not the against gay opinion I'm shocked by. I get that. I know God's plan is man & woman but that definitely DOES NOT mean that we can be hateful against gay people. Jesus was the man who cared for the leper and touched the woman no one else would touch. He was kind and loving. If we want to follow in his path then we must be kind and loving towards everyone, no matter their sexuality.

It was this man's ignorant opinions I was shocked by. It was the fact he was calling upon the young people, telling us that being gay leads to disease, and drugs and becoming evil. This was NOT backed by scripture and not God's word but his own ignorant views.

I think the man was emphasising how bad the sin is. Look, at the end of the day you will have to choose your attachment to the church/god or your sexuality. No one is going to kill you for it but what I am trying to say is that you cannot change the churches opinion on homosexuals/gays because MANY believe its wrong and so do the other 2 Abrahamic religions.
Original post by *Stefan*
OP - one person doesn't represent the entirety of your church. If you love going there, you should continue doing so and just forget about him. Unfortunately religions will always spur hate in society, but that doesn't have to include everyone believing in that religion. Be the difference.

Lol, reasoning of ISIS?
What ISIS are doing to humans is disgusting. Even if they kill homosexuals, its terrible. Why are you so shocked that Homosexuality is forbidden in MANY cultures or religons? Its not the reasoning of ISIS it simply makes sense. OP has the choice of choosing her sexuality or religion.
Original post by samantham999
Loooooooool
You're so stupid, the question is about the church you cretin
Naturally I would address the 3 common religions

I did not challenge you addressing the 3 common religions...
Original post by yudothis
I did not challenge you addressing the 3 common religions...

Sorry, I misunderstood. What were you challenging me on?
Sorry, I misunderstood. What were you challenging me on?

You really couldn't tell?

Oh well. It was that you called people sick in the head for being gay.
You really couldn't tell?

Oh well. It was that you called people sick in the head for being gay.

Thats really just my opinion. Many also believe the same. I was wrong for typing bad words to OP but in the end OP must choose between her attachment with the church or her sexuality. She must also bear in my mind that many churches are against homosexuality, as are many other religions, especially the other 2 common Abrahamic ones. She should be aware of that and really grow some thick skin because many are against her sexuality.
Thats really just my opinion. Many also believe the same. I was wrong for typing bad words to OP but in the end OP must choose between her attachment with the church or her sexuality. She must also bear in my mind that many churches are against homosexuality, as are many other religions, especially the other 2 common Abrahamic ones. She should be aware of that and really grow some thick skin because many are against her sexuality.

You cannot choose your sexuality.

Which part of the OP saying "I am straight" did you not understand? :eyeball:
You cannot choose your sexuality.

Look I don't want to be rude but I don't even have an answer. I'm pretty emotionless but obviously i'm straight. Its difficult for a straight person to understand what you said but I guess we all have our struggles.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Which part of the OP saying "I am straight" did you not understand? :eyeball:

No I meant choose between beliefs of sexuality
Look I don't want to be rude but I don't even have an answer. I'm pretty emotionless but obviously i'm straight. Its difficult for a straight person to understand what you said but I guess we all have our struggles.

I am sure OP does not struggle with sexuality. Simply with the church's archaic beliefs.
I am sure OP does not struggle with sexuality. Simply with the church's archaic beliefs.

Why does it affect her though if she isnt gay?
[QUOTE="samantham999;67875846"]
Original post by *Stefan*
OP - one person doesn't represent the entirety of your church. If you love going there, you should continue doing so and just forget about him. Unfortunately religions will always spur hate in society, but that doesn't have to include everyone believing in that religion. Be the difference.

Lol, reasoning of ISIS?
What ISIS are doing to humans is disgusting. Even if they kill homosexuals, its terrible. Why are you so shocked that Homosexuality is forbidden in MANY cultures or religons? Its not the reasoning of ISIS it simply makes sense. OP has the choice of choosing her sexuality or religion.

If they kill people for being gay then it stems from the homophobic religion around them.Do you think the nazis could have killed so many jews if it were not for widespread anti-semetism?Its the same here.Homophobic attitudes lead to people commiting attrocities against gay people.You say Isis are terrible for killing people but you are not much better because your views enable it.Homosexuality is forbidden in many religions because they dont procreate which isnt useful for spreading a religion.
[QUOTE="Robby2312;67879616"]

If they kill people for being gay then it stems from the homophobic religion around them.Do you think the nazis could have killed so many jews if it were not for widespread anti-semetism?Its the same here.Homophobic attitudes lead to people commiting attrocities against gay people.You say Isis are terrible for killing people but you are not much better because your views enable it.Homosexuality is forbidden in many religions because they dont procreate which isnt useful for spreading a religion.

I am no better than Isis? Are you disabled? Wow you really need to wake up. I wasnt even religous a few years ago and I still believed a man is for a woman and a woman for a man. Why are you blaming genocide on religon? Its people who have interpreted it wrongly for their own use so why are you blaming the religious texts?
Truth is you're probably gay and too ashamed to speak to anyone so you're siding with them. How about you keep your mouth shut aswell as your keeping your sexuality to yourself?
You're so angry the world hates homosexuals dont you? Dont cry X
(edited 7 years ago)
OP if you're not gay or homosexual why did you even create this thread? I assume you have read how many churches are against homosexuals and a varity of biblical verses so please tell me sweetpea why are you so shocked that the church acted this way?
Soon you cretins will justify how sleeping with your aunt or uncle is okay because jesus loves all people right X
Isn't christianity supposed to be about love, this kind of thing should definitely not be happening in 2016
Why does it affect her though if she isnt gay?

Because it's a terrible idea.
Because it's a terrible idea.

What about the armenian genocide? It doesnt directly affect her but where is her post on that?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending