The Student Room Group

Maths AS-level Self-study

I wanted to add Maths AS-level classes to my A-level timetable, but they are full (my fault for making the decision 2-weeks after the start of the new academic year).

So, I'm now going to self-study. Edexcel.

So - which books are best to buy? Any Youtube videos or online lessons?

Which units are best to study?
Have you checked that this is ok with your school? You have exams and coursework to do through them so you need them on board. They will also be able to advise with what you've asked.
Original post by Kefte
I wanted to add Maths AS-level classes to my A-level timetable, but they are full (my fault for making the decision 2-weeks after the start of the new academic year).

So, I'm now going to self-study. Edexcel.

So - which books are best to buy? Any Youtube videos or online lessons?

Which units are best to study?

Best books are these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-Level-Modular-Mathematics/dp/0435519107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475528774&sr=8-1&keywords=Edexcel+c1

You need 3 books C1, C2 and either D1, M1 or S1 depending on which applications unit you decide to take. However if your school uses different books it may be better to use the same so you can more easily get help from a teacher or other students.

Best web site is examsolutions.net
m4ths.com & physicsandmathstutor.com have some useful resources

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
Have you checked that this is ok with your school? You have exams and coursework to do through them so you need them on board. They will also be able to advise with what you've asked.

I'm a mature student - hence, why priority has gone to those 17-19 studying A-levels for maths,and there hasn't been any spaces for me.

- Is there coursework for maths?

- Being a mature student I don't really have any friendship links within the college. Although I sit next to those who study maths in Chemistry - they told me the exam board. They currently don't have textbooks for maths, as the haven't been given to them, but I can get those when the time comes. I tend to have a couple of different text books when studying a subject anyway (more practice questions).

- As there are several maths classes and hundreds of students under them, the maths department doesn't have time or resources to support me.
Reply 4
Having a look at previous threads I'll probably do statistics, because it's where I am strongest.
Original post by Kefte
I'm a mature student - hence, why priority has gone to those 17-19 studying A-levels for maths,and there hasn't been any spaces for me.

- Is there coursework for maths?

- Being a mature student I don't really have any friendship links within the college. Although I sit next to those who study maths in Chemistry - they told me the exam board. They currently don't have textbooks for maths, as the haven't been given to them, but I can get those when the time comes. I tend to have a couple of different text books when studying a subject anyway (more practice questions).

- As there are several maths classes and hundreds of students under them, the maths department doesn't have time or resources to support me.

There is no coursework for A level maths if you are doing Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
The best books for maths is none...
There are a lot of free resources online for edexcel maths, such as physics and maths tutors (they have free notes and question banks), mathsgenie, examsolutions (to actually learn the content).

Plus there is this website called thestudentroom, which is a forums for students and there are various threads for maths.

And there is no coursework for maths
Reply 7
Original post by gdunne42
There is no coursework for A level maths if you are doing Edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks. I didn't think so, having read through the spec' - the reply above confused me.
Reply 8
Original post by asinghj
The best books for maths is none...
There are a lot of free resources online for edexcel maths, such as physics and maths tutors (they have free notes and question banks), mathsgenie, examsolutions (to actually learn the content).

Plus there is this website called thestudentroom, which is a forums for students and there are various threads for maths.

And there is no coursework for maths

Thanks. That'll save some money - although I do love a textbook. But, college library might have textbooks too.

Also, I did AS-level Edexcel Maths 10-years ago, but didn't sit the exam as I couldn't manage the paper quick enough and couldn't get above a D/C in mock papers (not lack of ability). I just can't remember what I and didn't do, I do have my old Mechanics book though (didn't have a choice then), though no notes. Having spoken to others, I've been told I just need to practice and practice, like running - and eventually I can up my speed for the exam too. So I'm not going in completely blind or new to this.
Original post by Kefte
Thanks. That'll save some money - although I do love a textbook. But, college library might have textbooks too.

Also, I did AS-level Edexcel Maths 10-years ago, but didn't sit the exam as I couldn't manage the paper quick enough and couldn't get above a D/C in mock papers (not lack of ability). I just can't remember what I and didn't do, I do have my old Mechanics book though (didn't have a choice then), though no notes. Having spoken to others, I've been told I just need to practice and practice, like running - and eventually I can up my speed for the exam too. So I'm not going in completely blind or new to this.

If cost is an issue then a Google search should reveal the location of PDF versions of the above textbooks.

You'll also usually find used copies for sale on eBay for about £5 plus postage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kefte

That's right, Maths isn't about memory, but about how you can apply the basics into the different problems.. I have all the books (I did what the user above me suggested and got them online). Some people from my school said they don't like the book, and I haven't touched the books for anything other than questions.

But honestly, get a copy of the specification (online) and learn that content then start doing questions.. When you feel a bit more confident try to do past papers to time (1h30m)

Oh and use the solutions banks from here:
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/

They have the questions from the official textbook and the answers.
Reply 11
Thank-you, I've ordered some secondhand text books and bookmarked some stuff. I'll get started tomorrow.

Found out the exam board is OCR now; despite the four students I spoke to saying Edexcel (bizarrely). Spec looks the same though - and I'd rather sit it there, then I can get onto A2 at the college. Self-studying is okay, and I have done it before, but sometimes I lack the self-motivation. Fortunately it is the only external AS exam I plan on sitting too (due to linear spec' for others), so I can put a good chunk of my effort into it.

Slightly worried about OCR though - threads on here saying it's harder, apparently. I imagine that could be subjective though.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kefte
Thank-you, I've ordered some secondhand text books and bookmarked some stuff. I'll get started tomorrow.

Found out the exam board is OCR now; despite the four students I spoke to saying Edexcel (bizarrely). Spec looks the same though - and I'd rather sit it there, then I can get onto A2 at the college. Self-studying is okay, and I have done it before, but sometimes I lack the self-motivation. Fortunately it is the only AS exam I plan on sitting too (due to linear spec' for others).

Slightly worried about OCR though - threads on here saying it's harder, apparently. I imagine that could be subjective though.

OCR or OCR-MEI ?
They are quite different specifications. OCR-MEI does have course work in the C3 unit that students usually do over the summer between AS and A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I self-studied AS and the only study resources I used were examsolutions.net and past papers. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by gdunne42
OCR or OCR-MEI ?
They are quite different specifications. OCR-MEI does have course work in the C3 unit that students usually do over the summer between AS and A2.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank-you, I didn't know. I will ask for clarification. I went to the Library to look at the books they had in, noticed they were all OCR, and then the exams office also confirmed it was 'OCR'.

I'm aware Sciences have different OCR syllabuses, so it should have dawned on me to check for maths.

However, none of the students I've spoken to have mentioned coursework when I've quizzed them about maths. And the information on that A-level course states it's "100% exam assessed" and "there is no coursework in either A or AS level Mathematics". Which leads me to suggest it is just OCR.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending