The Student Room Group

How to calm nerves for driving test

Hey,

I am taking my 5th test this Wednesday and I feel like I am getting more nervous than before, I have always failed for stupid reasons but I have been up to test standards otherwise my instructor would not have taken me. However this time I feel worse at driving than before and more nervous. I had a horrible lesson yesterday which really affected my confidence, i'm not sure how to proceed. I know i can drive better than this and I have. Has this happened to anyone else, I could really use some advice
Reply 1
I wouldn't know I passed first time :wink:
Original post by S.Rez291
Hey,

I am taking my 5th test this Wednesday and I feel like I am getting more nervous than before, I have always failed for stupid reasons but I have been up to test standards otherwise my instructor would not have taken me. However this time I feel worse at driving than before and more nervous. I had a horrible lesson yesterday which really affected my confidence, i'm not sure how to proceed. I know i can drive better than this and I have. Has this happened to anyone else, I could really use some advice

My best advice would be to use your previous tests as learning experience. You now know the format of the test, what the examiners are looking for, and hopefully you have been able to identify your weakest area(s) of driving/mistakes you have made.

Also, I know it's much easier said than done, but do try to relax and take your time. You can't think properly when you're nervous, so try your best to stay calm. If things do go a bit wrong, like you make a mistake or take a wrong turn, don't assume you have failed (alternatively, do assume that, as it might help you to relax - I found this). I passed my test first time, however I made a few mistakes during it which made me think I'd failed for sure (my examiner was even shaking his head at one point!) :s-smilie:

Best of luck for your test, let us know how you get on :h:
Reply 3
Kalms if you can, but deep breaths, just treat it as you would normally drive with your instructor or parents :smile: also people say drinking water (may sound silly) can help calm your nerves also eat a good breakfast.
Reply 4
Original post by Leviathan1741
My best advice would be to use your previous tests as learning experience. You now know the format of the test, what the examiners are looking for, and hopefully you have been able to identify your weakest area(s) of driving/mistakes you have made.

Also, I know it's much easier said than done, but do try to relax and take your time. You can't think properly when you're nervous, so try your best to stay calm. If things do go a bit wrong, like you make a mistake or take a wrong turn, don't assume you have failed (alternatively, do assume that, as it might help you to relax - I found this). I passed my test first time, however I made a few mistakes during it which made me think I'd failed for sure (my examiner was even shaking his head at one point!) :s-smilie:

Best of luck for your test, let us know how you get on :h:

Thanks for the advice, it's just stressful to think how much money and time has gone into it, all my friends have got theirs and it's frustrating me that I haven't gotten mine yet
Original post by S.Rez291
Thanks for the advice, it's just stressful to think how much money and time has gone into it, all my friends have got theirs and it's frustrating me that I haven't gotten mine yet

I understand that, but try and give it some perspective - once you pass, you've got the skill of driving (and proof of it) and you'll have it for your whole life. It seems like a lot of time and money now (which it is, of course), but it will all be worth it.

Also, don't worry about your friends, everyone learns at their own pace and deals with their tests differently - some people are more nervous than others and have different attitudes towards passing and failing. I think driving tests also have a certain amount of luck in them, some examiners are more lenient than others for example :smile:
Reply 6
take a few shots...

actually, maybe not
Reply 7
You could ask your instructor for some practise tests, done exactly as the test will be. That might get you more used to the routine without the stress of actually having to do the test every time, and then the real thing will feel more familiar?
Reply 8
Hi everyone i have a theory test tomorrow and scared.... I have been practicing on my moc tests everyday for a week
Are the questions the same?????
Reply 9
Hi! I have failed for the third time today due to my nerves bettering me!!! It really is a confidence knocker and I have run out of ideas.

I took rescue remedy which kicked in about 10 minutes into the test, however I failed within the first 10 minutes because I hadn't yet relaxed, my eyes watered and I felt nauseous. I would highly recommend rescue remedy and to stay calm during the day of the test.

Make sure you have a good sleep, eat and drink water! - I know that might be obvious but the 2nd test I did, I did none of those things. The third test I got 1 minor, 1 major (lane discipline on a round-about). I didn't slow any vehicles down nor cut any one up however the tester felt I was any aware of this mistake. I am hoping to be 4th time lucky on my next test but am also unsure if there is anything I am missing in my routine so that next time I can stay calm from the beginning of the test.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending