The Student Room Group

Started in Halls but considering a commute

Hi, new here and hope this is in the right place. Thought i'd see what other students would think, as well as my parents so I can get a good idea of whether or not I'm thinking this through properly.

My home town is Stroud, and my Uni is just off junction 1 of the m32 in Bristol (UWE) - so its about 25 miles, 40/45 mins by car. Or I can do a 15 minute drive to my local commuter station (I say this because Stroud station has no direct link to Bristol - the other station I can go from is Cam and Dursley - its in the middle of nowhere but has free all day parking) then hop on the train from there which takes 20 minutes and drops me about a 15 min walk from campus. So that sets my options as far commuting goes..as far as I'm concerned its nothing outrageous. people commute much further distances each day!

Anyway my question.. I moved into halls about 4 weeks ago and while it seems like an alright experience, i'm not quite seeing it as the major life changing fun experience people make it out to be. I have worked full time for the past year and have been relatively independent while at home, so the whole looking after yourself thing is nothing new to me and I don't really feel as though I need to prove to myself and others that I can be independent because I know full well that I can be. I moved to halls because I thought its what people all did and didn't want to be the odd one out, but now I think about it is the pseudo independence and 5,600 charge for the 40 week privilege really worth it? When I can commute by car or If I fancied by train for a lot less, taking into account fuel for the week works out at 30 quid.

sorry..a bit more context, I also work part time still in my old Job who let me come back on saturdays, so I go home friday, work a 10 hour day saturday then head back sunday morning, so If I lived at home I would be able to pick up a few more hours, have money to spare and all the comforts of home as opposed to living on basically nothing, and having to work these weekends in order to be able to live in these halls. My maintenance pays for my rent and covers my 110 p/m overheads (car insurance, phone, gadget insurance, music streaming, netflix etc) but leaves little to spare.

With this in mind does it seem logical to try and leave halls and commute instead? I don't want to hear lots of people saying my social life will suffer as thats not what I'm interested in knowing, Im more concerned with the practicalities and if anyone here does commute, whats it like and does it harm your studies? Apologies for slightly miserable tone at times, just really unsure of what to do and can't help but think moving into halls was a bit of a mistake.
Original post by Borriso
Hi, new here and hope this is in the right place. Thought i'd see what other students would think, as well as my parents so I can get a good idea of whether or not I'm thinking this through properly.

My home town is Stroud, and my Uni is just off junction 1 of the m32 in Bristol (UWE) - so its about 25 miles, 40/45 mins by car. Or I can do a 15 minute drive to my local commuter station (I say this because Stroud station has no direct link to Bristol - the other station I can go from is Cam and Dursley - its in the middle of nowhere but has free all day parking) then hop on the train from there which takes 20 minutes and drops me about a 15 min walk from campus. So that sets my options as far commuting goes..as far as I'm concerned its nothing outrageous. people commute much further distances each day!

Anyway my question.. I moved into halls about 4 weeks ago and while it seems like an alright experience, i'm not quite seeing it as the major life changing fun experience people make it out to be. I have worked full time for the past year and have been relatively independent while at home, so the whole looking after yourself thing is nothing new to me and I don't really feel as though I need to prove to myself and others that I can be independent because I know full well that I can be. I moved to halls because I thought its what people all did and didn't want to be the odd one out, but now I think about it is the pseudo independence and 5,600 charge for the 40 week privilege really worth it? When I can commute by car or If I fancied by train for a lot less, taking into account fuel for the week works out at 30 quid.

sorry..a bit more context, I also work part time still in my old Job who let me come back on saturdays, so I go home friday, work a 10 hour day saturday then head back sunday morning, so If I lived at home I would be able to pick up a few more hours, have money to spare and all the comforts of home as opposed to living on basically nothing, and having to work these weekends in order to be able to live in these halls. My maintenance pays for my rent and covers my 110 p/m overheads (car insurance, phone, gadget insurance, music streaming, netflix etc) but leaves little to spare.

With this in mind does it seem logical to try and leave halls and commute instead? I don't want to hear lots of people saying my social life will suffer as thats not what I'm interested in knowing, Im more concerned with the practicalities and if anyone here does commute, whats it like and does it harm your studies? Apologies for slightly miserable tone at times, just really unsure of what to do and can't help but think moving into halls was a bit of a mistake.

You've had a month. You know the journeys better thna us as well as your priorities. You seem to have made your own mind up already. Do what suits you.
Reply 2
I have a part time job and commute too.
I lived in halls for the first part of my first year and found it difficult because I had to come home every weekend. I guess for you, I would commute in because there's no point paying rent for accommodation if you're going to come home quite often and plus, you'd be saving a lot of money.
In terms of studying, mine actually improved when I commuted. I take the train so I did most of my work there where I wasn't distracted whereas in my halls, there was always something going on to distract me.
It really depends on your commute though. On some days, it can get quite tiring, depending on your timetable and your course. I only go in for three days a week so I'm okay :smile:
Reply 3
Sadly even for students Bristol is becoming quite expensive when it comes to rent.

If you don't mind the drive then commuting sounds like the best choice, as I'm sure you know though traffic in Bristol is generally appalling, and especially near French whilst they build the roads for the new metrobus route it's even worse, so you ought to take that into consideration.

What degree are you studying? Is it something at requires you to be on campus a lot or is it more flexible? Re; train, do you know how much it'll cost you roughly over the year for commuting this way + any car parking costs that there may be.

Also don't forget if you are living with your parents during your degree the money you get from SFE will be reduced as well
Reply 4
Original post by Looke
Sadly even for students Bristol is becoming quite expensive when it comes to rent.

If you don't mind the drive then commuting sounds like the best choice, as I'm sure you know though traffic in Bristol is generally appalling, and especially near French whilst they build the roads for the new metrobus route it's even worse, so you ought to take that into consideration.

What degree are you studying? Is it something at requires you to be on campus a lot or is it more flexible? Re; train, do you know how much it'll cost you roughly over the year for commuting this way + any car parking costs that there may be.

Also don't forget if you are living with your parents during your degree the money you get from SFE will be reduced as well

The traffic is the main thing thats keeping me on the fence at the moment, having driven in Bristol quite a few times and experiencing the traffic i'm dreading what it would be like getting in for 9AM lectures!

Im doing BA Geography and my current timetable is basically 9am's on tuesday and wednesday then 2pm on thursday, of course those are the starts, on tuesday at the moment I'm 9-1 but then theres a 5-7, in saying that half of me thinks that would a pretty good time to get any work and reading done while on campus, use the library etc. Only other consideration is a permit costs 119 to park here, as for the train the cost works out similar to the weekly petrol cost, seeing as effectively I only need to be here for 3 days, theres also PAL on monday but thats 12-2 so getting in and back for that would be pretty easy, quiet time of day and all, providing I needed to go.

My main concern is whether or not ill regret it, Im sort of thunking it would be best to give it a few more weeks and see how I feel then as it is pretty early I guess, and I know I said about the social aspect not being too big of a worry but I wouldn't want to feel like I'm totally missing out on everything! cheers for the reply, by the way
Reply 5
Totally give it a bit more time mate, maybe wait till after Christmas at least? (If you leave before christmas you'll miss out on easy access to the german christmas market as well!) At least then you've given yourself a good 3 months to get a feel for things, see how it's working out for you at that point, etc.
Reply 6
Original post by SP1896
I have a part time job and commute too.
I lived in halls for the first part of my first year and found it difficult because I had to come home every weekend. I guess for you, I would commute in because there's no point paying rent for accommodation if you're going to come home quite often and plus, you'd be saving a lot of money.
In terms of studying, mine actually improved when I commuted. I take the train so I did most of my work there where I wasn't distracted whereas in my halls, there was always something going on to distract me.
It really depends on your commute though. On some days, it can get quite tiring, depending on your timetable and your course. I only go in for three days a week so I'm okay :smile:

Thats what I'm starting to think re. paying for accommodation when in reality I'm here for 4 full days as I leave Friday afternoon as I have nothing on and come back Sunday, usually towards the afternoon. I could come back Saturday evening but in reality after an 8:30 - 6:30 shift I don't really feel driving to the station, leaving my car getting the train then having to walk back to my flat, lol! I must admit the ease of being so close to lectures and everything is pretty good.. also my flat are pretty cool, so no issues there. Guess ill have to see what my parents think too, and what the get out clause with the halls are swell before rushing into anything
Original post by Borriso
Thats what I'm starting to think re. paying for accommodation when in reality I'm here for 4 full days as I leave Friday afternoon as I have nothing on and come back Sunday, usually towards the afternoon. I could come back Saturday evening but in reality after an 8:30 - 6:30 shift I don't really feel driving to the station, leaving my car getting the train then having to walk back to my flat, lol! I must admit the ease of being so close to lectures and everything is pretty good.. also my flat are pretty cool, so no issues there. Guess ill have to see what my parents think too, and what the get out clause with the halls are swell before rushing into anything

Early termination clauses are normally finding a replacement plus and admin fee.
Original post by 999tigger
Early termination clauses are normally finding a replacement plus and admin fee.

you would have to do the above to leave ^^^

whether it's worth it is really down to you, personally I wouldn't want that significant commute and would prefer to get a job closer to uni so I didn't go home at the weekend but it's personal preference/priorities... I would hate sitting on trains/buses and waiting but if that's not so bad and you hate being in halls then commute
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
you would have to do the above to leave ^^^

whether it's worth it is really down to you, personally I wouldn't want that significant commute and would prefer to get a job closer to uni so I didn't go home at the weekend but it's personal preference/priorities... I would hate sitting on trains/buses and waiting but if that's not so bad and you hate being in halls then commute

See the original plan was to get a job here but no such luck at the moment, even with the Students Union, applied for catering work as its what I've been doing in my old job for about a year and a half, but hey, not even a response! I drive so if I commuted I would be driving which I don't mind, always quite liked it, I wouldn't be thinking of commuting if it were a case of buses and trains as for me and where I live that just wouldn't work! By no means hate halls, alright I think they are a bit overhyped. Either way, cheers!

Quick Reply

Latest