The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
I'm trilingual, and I think only in english.
yes they do, why couldnt they if they were fluent? I dream in both too!
Reply 4
Original post by fandom-queen
I'm trilingual, and I think only in english.

What are your other 2 languages? What age did you learn all 3 languages? Can you think in your other 2 languages?
Reply 5
Original post by ForestShadow
yes they do, why couldnt they if they were fluent? I dream in both too!

What are your 2 languages? What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in 2 languages?
Yes, if you can say something in the language then you can think it too. I'm trilingual and tend to think in the same language I am post frequently speaking in/am surrounded by.
Reply 7
Original post by JulianneVS
Yes, if you can say something in the language then you can think it too. I'm trilingual and tend to think in the same language I am post frequently speaking in/am surrounded by.

What languages can you think in?
Reply 8
I'm bilingual and tend to base the language I think about around either my mood or environment. If not then I sometimes do this odd thing where I alternate the languages back and forth in my mind so my mind has each word in a different language.
Original post by rambapa
What are your 2 languages? What age did you learn both languages? Can you think in 2 languages?

Original post by rambapa
What are your other 2 languages? What age did you learn all 3 languages? Can you think in your other 2 languages?

I speak bengali, english and hindi. Bengali is my mother tongue, Hindi I learnt at school, from......when I was 3, English I learnt parallel to bengali.
Reply 10
I speak bengali, english and hindi. Bengali is my mother tongue, Hindi I learnt at school, from......when I was 3, English I learnt parallel to bengali.

So you can think in English, Bengali and Hindi?
Reply 11
Original post by Vysniuz
I'm bilingual and tend to base the language I think about around either my mood or environment. If not then I sometimes do this odd thing where I alternate the languages back and forth in my mind so my mind has each word in a different language.

Wouldn't you just think in your stronger language?
Original post by rambapa
So you can think in English, Bengali and Hindi?

No, just english. English is the language I always read and write in, as well, even though I speak in Bengali and hindi at home and with many friends. Thus, I think i'm more exposed to the language and thus, subconsciously think in it, as well.
If you live in the country of your second language, you often tend to think mostly in your native language, but often mix it with words, phrases and grammar constructs of the second. Also if you spend the whole day talking in the second language you often just come home and think for the first hour or so in language #2 before switching back to language #1
Reply 14
Original post by rambapa
Wouldn't you just think in your stronger language?

Because I don't have a stronger language, as far as I'm concerned they both stand on an equal level in my mind.
Reply 15
No, just english. English is the language I always read and write in, as well, even though I speak in Bengali and hindi at home and with many friends. Thus, I think i'm more exposed to the language and thus, subconsciously think in it, as well.

But can you make yourself think in Bengali and Hindi?
ohmygod he's still going
Reply 17
It depends on my mood if I'm angry or annoyed I think purely in Dutch and if I'm tired I tend to blur the two and get really confused.
Reply 18
Original post by Mieka
It depends on my mood if I'm angry or annoyed I think purely in Dutch and if I'm tired I tend to blur the two and get really confused.

What languages can you think in?
I speak and think in 2 languages :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending