The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ThatsMyGoal
I've was a vegetarian for just over a year but have stopped recently.

I still try and minimise the amount of meat in my diet, but I am loving being able to eat a wider variety of meals- it's also sooo much easier when going round to other people's houses, meals out etc.

This is the issue for me. Limited choies when I eat out with friends but oh well.
I can honestly say I'd rather eat meat and die at 70 than be vegetarian and die at 90 (not that eating meat actually is any less healthy than being vegetarian. But if someone were to try to bring in the health argument, then I'm just saying it's irrelevant anyway)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 22
I have gone through vegetarians phases a few times in my life, for no other reason other than i was bored of eating meat and wanted a break. i always ended up going back to my old ways though, whenever i fancied eating a full chicken. i could never go fully vegetarian
i'm vegan (Y) as is my boyfriend and a huge chunk of my close friends
Reply 24
I know that it won't be easy but i would if the prices were cheaper than non-vegetarian food. Plus, I live with my food and we have to have same food to save money and she doesnt want to become one. I might become one when i'm a bit older
Reply 25
I've been veggie for 2 years and I honestly cannot imagine eating meat again.

Don't get me wrong, loved the taste but realised how morally wrong it felt when I actually opened my eyes to some of the horrible truth of the industry.

Realised if I couldn't kill my cat, why should a cow or a pig be any different? :smile:
I would be happy to move to cultured meat, actually, I wonder not mind making it an area of research should the opportunity present itself as clearly there is vast animal cruelty.
That said, I don't think I'll go vegetarian otherwise.
Honestly, O only eat meat because I live with my.family and they eat meat.

If someone cooked for me vegan all the time and gave me vegan meals I could go vegan.
I'm vegan so :biggrin::biggrin:
It's certainly cheaper.

I'm not vegetarian but Holland&Barrett's soy mince is a godsend.
I don't think anyone can be convinced to become vegetarian, it's something you figure out for yourself. In my case I was eating a bacon sandwich in a Wetherspoons at breakfast. Some posh guy came on the television (sky news was on) and he was wittering on about how fox hunting is actually good for foxes as overpopulation of foxes can lead to starvation. Obviously that sounded utterly ridiculous to me, there are more efficient forms of killing than getting a dozen posh people on a horse, a few dozen dogs, some silly costumes and then racing through the woods. It was clear to me that this was an individual who was murdering an animal for pleasure, it was fun for him.

I was pretty angry about this, when I took another bite of my sandwich I realised that I was doing essentially the same thing. Not as directly malicious perhaps but wasn't I facilitating in the murder of an animal for pleasure? I could survive without meat so it wasn't something I needed, rather it was something I was doing for pleasure. I felt deeply disturbed that my own behaviour could be comparable to that of someone who murders animals for fun. Although fox hunting is a great deal crueller than eating meat I just felt there were too many parallels so I stopped there and then.
I'm probably a lot older than most posters on this site, middle aged. I went vegetarian for like 2 or 3 years in my late teens. Never been so sick. Lethargic, prone to any bugs going around, mild depression and lack of confidence. Muscle wastage, after a few good years hard strength training. No internet back then. No reasonably way to research nutrition. If you are going to go for that lifestyle you need to research and learn the subject. Or bad things happen.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I don't think anyone can be convinced to become vegetarian, it's something you figure out for yourself. In my case I was eating a bacon sandwich in a Wetherspoons at breakfast. Some posh guy came on the television (sky news was on) and he was wittering on about how fox hunting is actually good for foxes as overpopulation of foxes can lead to starvation. Obviously that sounded utterly ridiculous to me, there are more efficient forms of killing than getting a dozen posh people on a horse, a few dozen dogs, some silly costumes and then racing through the woods. It was clear to me that this was an individual who was murdering an animal for pleasure, it was fun for him.

I was pretty angry about this, when I took another bite of my sandwich I realised that I was doing essentially the same thing. Not as directly malicious perhaps but wasn't I facilitating in the murder of an animal for pleasure? I could survive without meat so it wasn't something I needed, rather it was something I was doing for pleasure. I felt deeply disturbed that my own behaviour could be comparable to that of someone who murders animals for fun. Although fox hunting is a great deal crueller than eating meat I just felt there were too many parallels so I stopped there and then.

How do you feel when you see a wildlife documentary showing a lion ripping the throat out a young dear to feed her starving cubs? Everyone, EVERYONE, is food for someone else, even if just bacteria.
I'm already depressed, no need to make it worse by taking chicken away from me :cry2:
Reply 34
I was for 15 years, I would definitely go back if I fancied it, I am not hugely attached to meat:smile:
Reply 35
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Indian and I've hardly ever had issues from being vegetarian. Our food is high in many spices that aid your body like tumeric. Western vegetarianism is tasteless and crap for your body.
Reply 36
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're feeling down there's lots of food you can have that is vegetarian and still tastes good. Have you tried soy meat? I haven't but its all the rage these days...
I considered it, looked at this and then said nah!

Original post by 303Pharma
How do you feel when you see a wildlife documentary showing a lion ripping the throat out a young dear to feed her starving cubs? Everyone, EVERYONE, is food for someone else, even if just bacteria.

We've got a digestive system that can cope with a vegetarian diet, and we have the capability, as a civilisation, to stop farming animals for meat, and we've got the moral discernment to figure out that it's the right thing to do. A lion has none of those things. Since when do we take moral cues from lions? Infanticide is also quite prevalent in nature.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
We've got a digestive system that can cope with a vegetarian diet, and we have the capability, as a civilisation, to stop farming animals for meat, and we've got the moral discernment to figure out that it's the right thing to do. A lion has none of those things. Since when do we take moral cues from lions? Infanticide is also quite prevalent in nature.

Vitamin B12 deficiency. We are naturally omnivorous.

Quick Reply

Latest