The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

I've been vegan for a year so yes.
i am seriously considering becoming a vegan, am already vegetarian, what do you think?
Reply 42
Original post by 303Pharma
Vitamin B12 deficiency. We are naturally omnivorous.

You can get B12 from plenty of other food sources other than meat.

Stop spreading your disgusting pro-meat propaganda.
Reply 43
Vegetables are what food eats
Original post by lord fauntleroy1
i am seriously considering becoming a vegan, am already vegetarian, what do you think?

Sounds like a great idea! What tips/reasons do you need?
Reply 45
Original post by lord fauntleroy1

Definitely try it for at least a few months and see how it goes.
Reply 46
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
I don't think anyone can be convinced to become vegetarian, it's something you figure out for yourself. In my case I was eating a bacon sandwich in a Wetherspoons at breakfast. Some posh guy came on the television (sky news was on) and he was wittering on about how fox hunting is actually good for foxes as overpopulation of foxes can lead to starvation. Obviously that sounded utterly ridiculous to me, there are more efficient forms of killing than getting a dozen posh people on a horse, a few dozen dogs, some silly costumes and then racing through the woods. It was clear to me that this was an individual who was murdering an animal for pleasure, it was fun for him.

I was pretty angry about this, when I took another bite of my sandwich I realised that I was doing essentially the same thing. Not as directly malicious perhaps but wasn't I facilitating in the murder of an animal for pleasure? I could survive without meat so it wasn't something I needed, rather it was something I was doing for pleasure. I felt deeply disturbed that my own behaviour could be comparable to that of someone who murders animals for fun. Although fox hunting is a great deal crueller than eating meat I just felt there were too many parallels so I stopped there and then.
I couldn't give up bacon for fox sake
I've never thought preaching or being mean to people who eat meat is a good idea- they are not bad people and it just doesn't help animals. But what does annoy me is when people who are like 'we MUST talk about and call out racism, sexism, homophobia and anything we consider damaging in the world, I am so concerned about things and we all need to discuss it!' but as soon as it's about eating animals and something they have a part in they're like HAHA why are you talking about killing things even though we don't need to, how laaaame shut up and stop talking about this please while I continue to freely air my own views and call out society's flaws'.
Original post by caitlynm
On principle I would like to but I genuinely don't like vegetables. I know that is a pretty big generalisation considering it's impossible for me to have tried them all. However of the ones I have tried, genuinely the only vegetables I can eat are in lentil soup when they're blended.
Yeah I agree. best easiest way to introduce more delicious nutritious veggies is home made soup, broths, stews. But, at least for me, base has to be proper chicken stock. Free range carcase boiled down with white onion, celery and carrots, bay leaves, for 4-6 hours. Get all those minerals and vitamins out of there. Time consuming, but can make months worth to freeze.
I was for a year. Snuck downstairs at Christmas to eat some turkey, never looked back :u:
Original post by adowolf
You can get B12 from plenty of other food sources other than meat.

Stop spreading your disgusting pro-meat propaganda.

That was rather rude! Eating meat is normal for humans.
Original post by loveleest
This is the issue for me. Limited choies when I eat out with friends but oh well.

I can't believe how much better the options have got recently and I'm a vegan! Especially the chains like McDonald's, Pizza Express, Wetherspoon's and the like have really upped their game. These days, in 99% of places I really don't think it's a big issue anymore...

But if you find it is say in a particular restaurant why not just be veggie at home and eat meat sometimes when you go out? No reason for that problem to make you eat meat all the time and you reduce the demand for killing animals this way :smile:

This is vegan but still
http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/menu-vegan-options-chain-restaurants/
Not at the moment. The combination of physical and mental health problems I have would make it unsustainable for me in the long run to maintain a balanced and healthy diet. If there came a time when enough of those were sorted to make it sustainable, I'd consider it. I already don't eat too much meat, but giving it up completely is a bad idea right now. I'm waiting for lab meat to come along preferably.
Fish + Chicken = LYFE
Original post by pamplemousse.
I can't believe how much better the options have got recently and I'm a vegan! Especially the chains like McDonald's, Pizza Express, Wetherspoon's and the like have really upped their game. These days, in 99% of places I really don't think it's a big issue anymore...

But if you find it is say in a particular restaurant why not just be veggie at home and eat meat sometimes when you go out? No reason for that problem to make you eat meat all the time and you reduce the demand for killing animals this way :smile:

This is vegan but still
http://www.peta.org.uk/blog/menu-vegan-options-chain-restaurants/
The meat that people eat, comes from domesticated species. If we didn't rear them specifically as food sources, they'd probably be extinct by now.
The meat that people eat, comes from domesticated species. If we didn't rear them specifically as food sources, they'd probably be extinct by now.

I wouldn't say it is an act of kindness to carry on breeding insane amounts of animal just for us to eat. So, what we would do is possibly keep some in sanctuaries, and then stop breeding the others, so yes, their numbers would fall dramatically meaning they use less valuable land, water, etc. This is a good thing. There are too many animals because of us, we can stop this.
That was rather rude! Eating meat is normal for humans.

Its rather rude how you're spreading propaganda.

So what if it is normal? Its used to be normal to enslave black people. Just because its a social norm it doesn't make it right

Probably? what? You have no way of knowing that at all. If these domesticated animals weren't taking out of their natural habitat then they would have had a great chance of expanding in the wild.
Yes, Im trying to be vegetarian, Its difficult but definitely change the way you feel.
Original post by Iamangryrar
Probably? what? You have no way of knowing that at all. If these domesticated animals weren't taking out of their natural habitat then they would have had a great chance of expanding in the wild.

But cattle, sheep, pork, chickens are tasty! Om nom nom nom

Quick Reply

Latest