The Student Room Group

Jobs Help

Will finish my job contract at Thorpe park soon. My mother insisted I should apply for another part time job: Tesco but it is only temporary job for Christmas season. Also it is very near to my home I can just walk across the road. I work three days every week at Sainsbury's and I'm happy to work extra hours during Christmas season. But I'm not sure which one is better: two part time jobs or work more hours at Sainsbury's? Please be honest and advise me please. Thank you.
Reply 1
Original post by Ordo
Will finish my job contract at Thorpe park soon. My mother insisted I should apply for another part time job: Tesco but it is only temporary job for Christmas season. Also it is very near to my home I can just walk across the road. I work three days every week at Sainsbury's and I'm happy to work extra hours during Christmas season. But I'm not sure which one is better: two part time jobs or work more hours at Sainsbury's? Please be honest and advise me please. Thank you.

Supermarkets often don't like you getting a job at another supermarket, so you would be better to stick with one job
Work more hours, don't do two different supermarket jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
Supermarkets often don't like you getting a job at another supermarket, so you would be better to stick with one job

Why is that?

Original post by fxlloutboyy
Work more hours, don't do two different supermarket jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why?

I wanted to make my resume stands out that I managed my two part time jobs and studying as well as learning theory test atm. isn't it better to have two part time jobs rather than one?
Original post by Ordo
Why is that?

Why?

I wanted to make my resume stands out that I managed my two part time jobs and studying as well as learning theory test atm. isn't it better to have two part time jobs rather than one?

it can be better having two part time jobs rather than one but (coming from someone who has three) it can be extremely time consuming and they won't work with you as much. For example most supermarkets as far as i'm aware work on a rota basis. So how would you ensure from one week to the next that your hours wouldn't clash. Keep in mind you need to factor in travel time as well, so if one company rota's you in for "3-7" then another companies put you in "7-11" (As an example) you can't really turn round to either of them and say "Oh i'm gonna be late/need to finish early so I can go and work for the competition"

Also supermarkets have a rivalry between them. They're competing to be the best in the business. Like how would you explain your reasoning if you worked in Tescos then your manager saw you the next day in Sainsburys..A day you told them you couldn't work.

Also it's more for your sake. Say you're putting stock out on two separate days. You run the risk of pricing things wrong if you're thinking of the prices from the other store. Could you 100% ensure that you wouldn't ever mix the two up.

And finally, especially in the run up to Christmas you're usually expected to pick up extra hours (Supermarkets even more so) whenever you can. You can't pick up extra hours in both..

With supermarkets it's usually stated in your contract (Which you have to read.) that you can't work for the competition.

And leave the theory out when applying for jobs..It's really not that important and you don't need to study for it at all. It's really simple.

(And I've written this with three part time jobs and at uni at the same time. And it's really really difficult and a massive struggle sometimes.)
Reply 5
Original post by Ordo
Why is that?

Why?

Because you can't give them your undivided attention.

There's always the risk of you asking for a clubcard when you're working the other job, or getting mixed up in other ways. A customer might ask if you sell something and you say yes, but actually the other store does.

They also don't want you to give away trade secrets. That's probably not much of a risk at cashier level but they'll have one rule for everyone in the company. It's also possible you might mention something to a manager, who takes it to a manager's meeting, and then it could get passed on to people high enough in management to steal the idea
Reply 6
Original post by Jackieox
it can be better having two part time jobs rather than one but (coming from someone who has three) it can be extremely time consuming and they won't work with you as much. For example most supermarkets as far as i'm aware work on a rota basis. So how would you ensure from one week to the next that your hours wouldn't clash. Keep in mind you need to factor in travel time as well, so if one company rota's you in for "3-7" then another companies put you in "7-11" (As an example) you can't really turn round to either of them and say "Oh i'm gonna be late/need to finish early so I can go and work for the competition"

Also supermarkets have a rivalry between them. They're competing to be the best in the business. Like how would you explain your reasoning if you worked in Tescos then your manager saw you the next day in Sainsburys..A day you told them you couldn't work.

Also it's more for your sake. Say you're putting stock out on two separate days. You run the risk of pricing things wrong if you're thinking of the prices from the other store. Could you 100% ensure that you wouldn't ever mix the two up.

And finally, especially in the run up to Christmas you're usually expected to pick up extra hours (Supermarkets even more so) whenever you can. You can't pick up extra hours in both..

With supermarkets it's usually stated in your contract (Which you have to read.) that you can't work for the competition.

And leave the theory out when applying for jobs..It's really not that important and you don't need to study for it at all. It's really simple.

(And I've written this with three part time jobs and at uni at the same time. And it's really really difficult and a massive struggle sometimes.)

Original post by Juno
Because you can't give them your undivided attention.

There's always the risk of you asking for a clubcard when you're working the other job, or getting mixed up in other ways. A customer might ask if you sell something and you say yes, but actually the other store does.

They also don't want you to give away trade secrets. That's probably not much of a risk at cashier level but they'll have one rule for everyone in the company. It's also possible you might mention something to a manager, who takes it to a manager's meeting, and then it could get passed on to people high enough in management to steal the idea

Thank you for explaining this in details. I will stick to Sainsbury's job then. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest