The Student Room Group

What happens if I leave the uni accommodation?

Hi! I would like to know if anyone's had this problem. I want to leave my uni accommodation, not because I'm leaving this uni, but bc my lectures are in another campus. I've tried everything for someone to take over my contract or swap rooms but nobody wants to live here!
Has anyone left without paying the whole year? I just don't have the money to pay two contracts. What could happen if I just left? I'm really desperate
My first piece of advice would be speak to the uni directly. You can only reach a small circle of people but the uni can cast a much wider net in helping you search. They may have someone on the other campus in the same situation looking for a swap.

Following on from that if they say no then the only thing you can do is stay where you are. You're legally contracted to pay the rent or it will fall onto your guarantor to pay it. If you just leave and don't pay they'll just send debt collecters after you, which will put a massive mark on your credit file
Reply 2
Original post by Jackieox
My first piece of advice would be speak to the uni directly. You can only reach a small circle of people but the uni can cast a much wider net in helping you search. They may have someone on the other campus in the same situation looking for a swap.

Following on from that if they say no then the only thing you can do is stay where you are. You're legally contracted to pay the rent or it will fall onto your guarantor to pay it. If you just leave and don't pay they'll just send debt collecters after you, which will put a massive mark on your credit file

Thank you! I've done what you advice for a week now. They won't help me look for anyone if I don't hand in the keys and still they can´t guarantee to find someone so I don't know what to do. I think this contracts are made to take advantage of students, but is still my fault for signing.
Reply 3
Do you know anyone with a law degree I could ask about this? I'm not from UK and I don´t know how this works here.
Original post by mar96
Thank you! I've done what you advice for a week now. They won't help me look for anyone if I don't hand in the keys and still they can´t guarantee to find someone so I don't know what to do. I think this contracts are made to take advantage of students, but is still my fault for signing.

not much else you could have done, every student rent contract is for 9-12 months and you can't get out of it without finding a replacement

you can speak to your accommodation and see if there's any chance they will make an exception, some places are prepared to do this... is there another accommodation managed by the same company in the location you want? they may allow you to transfer your tenancy to a different location

if they don't agree DO NOT try and chance it, they will pursue you for the rent and they will start legal proceedings if you don't pay which could land you with a much bigger bill - it's just not worth it

the chances are that you're stuck... a week isn't long to look for a replacement and people have disagreements with flatmates and want to leave their room all through the year so it's possible that while you're stuck for now you might not be all year
Original post by mar96
Hi! I would like to know if anyone's had this problem. I want to leave my uni accommodation, not because I'm leaving this uni, but bc my lectures are in another campus. I've tried everything for someone to take over my contract or swap rooms but nobody wants to live here!
Has anyone left without paying the whole year? I just don't have the money to pay two contracts. What could happen if I just left? I'm really desperate

Easy they would just sue you for the money. Whenn you didnt pay then they would just ban you from university and take you to court.

Someone must wnat to live there because there are other occupants and people have lived there before.

Read the agreement you signed and see what it says about early termination. If you are unable to read the contract then go and have a chat with one of the student advisors in the SU. You can also try and reach an agreement with accommodation. Just leaving is one of the worst choices you could make.
Reply 6
Original post by doodle_333
not much else you could have done, every student rent contract is for 9-12 months and you can't get out of it without finding a replacement

you can speak to your accommodation and see if there's any chance they will make an exception, some places are prepared to do this... is there another accommodation managed by the same company in the location you want? they may allow you to transfer your tenancy to a different location

if they don't agree DO NOT try and chance it, they will pursue you for the rent and they will start legal proceedings if you don't pay which could land you with a much bigger bill - it's just not worth it

the chances are that you're stuck... a week isn't long to look for a replacement and people have disagreements with flatmates and want to leave their room all through the year so it's possible that while you're stuck for now you might not be all year

thank you! I'll do so
Reply 7
Original post by mar96

Have you actually spoken to your university accomodation team?

https://www.ntu.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/111151/UPP-Handbook.pdf
"3.1 Request to move room
Please contact the University’s Student Accommodation Services for details of availability. Please note that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request. A charge of £30.00 per person will be payable if a move is granted."

Nothing about having to hand in your keys before they try to find someone - which sounds very odd anyway...

And, if they can't or won't help, speak to a welfare officer at your student union.
Reply 8
We agree to disagree.
I think you should have a period of at least one week of living in the halls to be able to cancel your contract, you may don't like your course and want to change universities or not get on well with your flatmates, are you supposed to be a whole year living like that or paying an exorbitant amount of money without using the place? In my opinion they do take advantage of students. You live a room that's been awfully maintained and pay as if you were in a hotel, because you don't have any other choice of halls (at least in the campus I'm at). I agree they got to protect their business, they do far from that tho. But that's just my opinion.
Reply 9
Original post by jneill
Have you actually spoken to your university accomodation team?

https://www.ntu.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/111151/UPP-Handbook.pdf
"3.1 Request to move room
Please contact the University’s Student Accommodation Services for details of availability. Please note that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate your request. A charge of £30.00 per person will be payable if a move is granted."

Nothing about having to hand in your keys before they try to find someone - which sounds very odd anyway...

And, if they can't or won't help, speak to a welfare officer at your student union.

Yes, I've talked to them on the phone and they told me they couldn't help me look for anyone if I was still living in the halls because they had to have the room ready for another person to move in. Today I'm going to talk to them in person see if there's anything else I can do.

I hadn't thought about that, thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by mar96
Yes, I've talked to them on the phone and they told me they couldn't help me look for anyone if I was still living in the halls because they had to have the room ready for another person to move in. I'm going to notts to talk to them in person see what if there's anything else I can do.

I hadn't thought about that, thank you!

That sounds wrong* but yes talk to them in person, and then the SU if necessary.

You also need to find out if they have a place available where you want to go...

*Of course the new person can't move in until you had the keys in, but they should at least tell you if they have people on a waiting list. You can't hand keys in until they help you find somewhere else...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Regardless of the legal consequences of this, more practically if you don't pay your rent according to the contract you've signed then you would be considered in debt to the university and not able to graduate until this debt was discharged or forgiven somehow. This is the common approach with most universities and would, I suspect, be far more of a problem to you than threats of debt collection.
Have you tried seeing if your university has a room nearer your campus and they could just transfer you? You'd still pay what you promised and would only have to pay a moving fee

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending