The Student Room Group

Boastful personal statement?

Hi, I am writing my UCAS personal statement and my teacher told me to remove a reference to me having been the only person in my school to achieve 11 A*s at GCSE in my year. I think that puts my achievement in perspective, but he thinks it is overly boastful. Should I remove it? Is there a way to say this without sounding arrogant?
Original post by loja
Hi, I am writing my UCAS personal statement and my teacher told me to remove a reference to me having been the only person in my school to achieve 11 A*s at GCSE in my year. I think that puts my achievement in perspective, but he thinks it is overly boastful. Should I remove it? Is there a way to say this without sounding arrogant?

Put it in your reference, not personal statement.
Original post by loja

I can understand why you are pleased with the achievement but .......
You will have entered your GCSE results and they will know you have them, they are impressive whether you're the only person who got them or not. If it's a really impressive result from your school then it can be mentioned in your reference.
What relevance does it have to why you want study your chosen degree or why you'd be a success? It does sound a bit boastful and doesn't add to your personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What the Dunne said. The results speak for themselves and the reference would be a better place. Btw depending where you are applying then there will likely be others who achieved the same, so you might not be as unique as you think.
Reply 4
Many thanks indeed, guys. I will remove from the PS and ask the teacher to include in the reference.
Original post by loja
Many thanks indeed, guys. I will remove from the PS and ask the teacher to include in the reference.

I've been on TSR for over a year and this is the first time I've actually seen an issue promptly resolved.
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I've been on TSR for over a year and this is the first time I've actually seen an issue promptly resolved.
You aren't lying :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending