The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SeanFM
Your first half of the LHS is right but you have brought e^...+ lny down to give lny, which isn't quite right :smile:

Remember that xa+b=xa×xbx^{a + b} = x^a \times x^b .

What do you mean i havent brought down lny??
Original post by kiiten
What do you mean i havent brought down lny??

Okay, how did you get from the line with e^ln(...) to the line below? how did you get the +lny in the equation below it? :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
Okay, how did you get from the line with e^ln(...) to the line below? how did you get the +lny in the equation below it? :smile:

I moved everything after e^ln in front of e^ln (e^5 - e^2 etc.). Then e^ln cancels out which leaves e^5 - e^2 etc.
lny is in the equation because that was also part of the index notation?
Original post by kiiten
Different ques

???? I got y = 2 / ln

Where did i go wrong?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do but there is a whole lot simpler way to solve it if you get rid off the natural logarithm.

Just use the fact that ln(x)+ln(y)=ln(xy)=7\ln(x)+\ln(y)=\ln(xy)=7

So xy=e7xy=e^7

Then rearrange for, say, xx and we get x=e7yx=\frac{e^7}{y}

Subbing it into the first equation we get: e7yy=e5e2\frac{e^7}{y}-y=e^5-e^2

Which leads to e7y2=y(e5e2)e^7-y^2=y(e^5-e^2) and just solve for yy and then xx.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by kiiten
I moved everything after e^ln in front of e^ln (e^5 - e^2 etc.). Then e^ln cancels out which leaves e^5 - e^2 etc.
lny is in the equation because that was also part of the index notation?

the e^5 - e^2 - y can be taken down but notice that it adds lny...

What you've done isn't completely correct is what I'm trying to say.

ea+b=ea×eb e^{a+b} = e^a \times e^b where a and b are whatever you want.
1475605069285922068399.jpg
Original post by RDKGames
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do but there is a whole lot simpler way to solve it if you get rid off the natural logarithm.

Just use the fact that ln(x)+ln(y)=ln(xy)=7\ln(x)+\ln(y)=\ln(xy)=7

So xy=e7xy=e^7

Then rearrange for, say, xx and we get x=e7yx=\frac{e^7}{y}

Subbing it into the first equation we get: e7yy=e5e2\frac{e^7}{y}-y=e^5-e^2

Which leads to e7y2=y(e5e2)e^7-y^2=y(e^5-e^2) and just solve for yy and then xx.

Thanks :biggrin: - i understand what youre saying here but im not too sure how you would solve to find y.
EDIT: sorry its in pencil :3
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
the e^5 - e^2 - y can be taken down but notice that it adds lny...

What you've done isn't completely correct is what I'm trying to say.

ea+b=ea×eb e^{a+b} = e^a \times e^b where a and b are whatever you want.

So what happens to the lny? Do you mean it doesnt work because lny isnt inside the bracket?
Original post by kiiten
So what happens to the lny? Do you mean it doesnt work because lny isnt inside the bracket?

That is what I am trying to show you :h: (what happens to the lny)

Like I said from the previous post,

In this case a is ln(e^5 - e^2 + y) and b is ln(y).

So e^a+b is e^(ln(e^5 - e^2 + y) * e^(lny) = ....

Now you should be able to see the difference between what you did in post 882 and what has just been done.
Original post by SeanFM
That is what I am trying to show you :h: (what happens to the lny)

Like I said from the previous post,

In this case a is ln(e^5 - e^2 + y) and b is ln(y).

So e^a+b is e^(ln(e^5 - e^2 + y) * e^(lny) = ....

Now you should be able to see the difference between what you did in post 882 and what has just been done.

Ahh i see. Thank youu :biggrin: - sorry i just wasnt getting it at all but i understand now. Just to check does this lead to:

y(e^5 - e^2 + y) = e^7
y = e^7 / (e^5 - e^2 + y)
y = e^2 - e^5 + y/(e^5 - e^2 + y)

??
Original post by kiiten
Ahh i see. Thank youu :biggrin: - sorry i just wasnt getting it at all but i understand now. Just to check does this lead to:

y(e^5 - e^2 + y) = e^7
y = e^7 / (e^5 - e^2 + y)
y = e^2 - e^5 + y/(e^5 - e^2 + y)

??

After your first line of the quoted post it is easier to turn it into a quadratic, as you can see you've reached a dead end.. I think.
Original post by SeanFM
After your first line of the quoted post it is easier to turn it into a quadratic, as you can see you've reached a dead end.. I think.

Yep :tongue:. Ohh So:

ye^5 - ye^2 + y^2 = e^7
y^2 - ye^2 + ye^5 - e^7 = 0
y(y - e^2) + e^5 (y - e^2) = 0
(y+ e^5)(y - e^2) = 0
y = e^2

Finally, yay :smile: - is this right? - question only asks for +ve solutions so the other bracket is invalid.
Original post by kiiten
Yep :tongue:. Ohh So:

ye^5 - ye^2 + y^2 = e^7
y^2 - ye^2 + ye^5 - e^7 = 0
y(y - e^2) + e^5 (y - e^2) = 0
(y+ e^5)(y - e^2) = 0
y = e^2

Finally, yay :smile: - is this right? - question only asks for +ve solutions so the other bracket is invalid.

You can always check the solutions of an equation by putting them back into the equation :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
You can always check the solutions of an equation by putting them back into the equation :smile:

Yea I think i figured it out at last. The solutions work. Thanks so much for your help :biggrin:

One more question - dy/dx of (x+1)^3(x+2)^6 do you use the chain rule?
I ended up with 3(x+1)^2 6(x+2)^5 but the question wants it in the form (x+1)^2 (x+2)^5 (ax+b) ?? :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten
Yea I think i figured it out at last. The solutions work. Thanks so much for your help :biggrin:

One more question - dy/dx of (x+1)^3(x+2)^6 do you use the chain rule?
I ended up with 3(x+1)^2 6(x+2)^5 but the question wants it in the form (x+1)^2 (x+2)^5 (ax+b) ?? :s-smilie:

Think about the product rule too :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
Think about the product rule too :smile:

Ah but im not sure about using the product rule with brackets. I tried it with (x+1)^3 and got:

(x+1)3(x+1)^2 + (x+1)^3 ?
Original post by kiiten
Ah but im not sure about using the product rule with brackets. I tried it with (x+1)^3 and got:

(x+1)3(x+1)^2 + (x+1)^3 ?

The product rule is when you have two functions multiplying eachother - you're mixing it up with the chain rule a bit, though you do have to (spoiler alert) use the chain rule here.

If you say f(x) = (x+1)^3 and g(x) = (x+2)^6.. you do the rest :smile:
Original post by SeanFM
The product rule is when you have two functions multiplying eachother - you're mixing it up with the chain rule a bit, though you do have to (spoiler alert) use the chain rule here.

If you say f(x) = (x+1)^3 and g(x) = (x+2)^6.. you do the rest :smile:

I think thats what i did?

I made u = x+1 then v = u^3
then using the product rule i got the equation from my other post. Unless you make u = f(x) and v = g(x)?
Original post by kiiten
I think thats what i did?

I made u = x+1 then v = u^3
then using the product rule i got the equation from my other post. Unless you make u = f(x) and v = g(x)?

I would suggest revisitng the product rule :smile:

What you have mentioned in your post there is the chain rule, which is used in this question but you have to apply to product rule first.

If you are ever stuck with something, check the definitions of whatever you're using then look for simple examples and understand them, then look for similar examples. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
I would suggest revisitng the product rule :smile:

What you have mentioned in your post there is the chain rule, which is used in this question but you have to apply to product rule first.

Yeah I agree :biggrin:

Is the product rule uv^1 + vu^1 ?
If so then i made u = x+1 and v = u^3
Original post by kiiten
Yeah I agree :biggrin:

Is the product rule uv^1 + vu^1 ?
If so then i made u = x+1 and v = u^3

I think you know what you mean but you're not typing / expressing it correctly. If u and v are functions, (uv)' = u'v + v'u is the product rule.

But with that second line you are defining the chain rule.. those are two different things. Again, I would suggest looking up the two to refresh your memory :borat:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest