The Student Room Group

Ocr mei maths as

Is anyone on this exam board for maths or has anyone done this exam board for maths? If so, how did you find it and do you know any good revision material for it since this isn't a popular exam board for maths?
I did it (am currently doing A2) and was under the impression it is quite a popular board. In general there is a lot of overlap between exam boards so I wouldn't worry too much about finding specific revision materials - normally the differences are just certain topics being switched between the '1' and '2' modules of a specific subject.

What modules are you doing?
Original post by dfbenjamin
I did it (am currently doing A2) and was under the impression it is quite a popular board. In general there is a lot of overlap between exam boards so I wouldn't worry too much about finding specific revision materials - normally the differences are just certain topics being switched between the '1' and '2' modules of a specific subject.

What modules are you doing?

Wow really? Its because most of the people I know do edexcel.
I just started AS and i'm doing C1 C2 M1 and S1.
My teacher made us start with C2 and i'm really struggling with periodic sequences :/
What modules are you taking and which ones have you taken?
Original post by goldenusername
Wow really? Its because most of the people I know do edexcel.
I just started AS and i'm doing C1 C2 M1 and S1.
My teacher made us start with C2 and i'm really struggling with periodic sequences :/
What modules are you taking and which ones have you taken?

I've done C1,2,3 , S1,2 M1 and FP1. We missed out C1 when we first started too since almost all of it is covered at GCSE. Only thing we had to quickly go back and learn was binomial expansion.

What do you have to know about periodic sequences? I never saw a question come up that asked about them in depth so are you sure you're not just thinking you need to know more than you really do?

This year I'm taking C4 , FP2,3 , M2,3 , S3, D1 and DE (I'm doing 15 modules).
I've done C1,2,3 , S1,2 M1 and FP1. We missed out C1 when we first started too since almost all of it is covered at GCSE. Only thing we had to quickly go back and learn was binomial expansion.

What do you have to know about periodic sequences? I never saw a question come up that asked about them in depth so are you sure you're not just thinking you need to know more than you really do?

This year I'm taking C4 , FP2,3 , M2,3 , S3, D1 and DE (I'm doing 15 modules).

Wow I don't even wanna imagine how difficult further maths is, and you're doing so many modules!

And basically, they gave us this sequence:
3, -6, 4, 1, 3, -6, 4,1, 3, -6, 4,1...
The period of the sequence is four, but the asked us to find the 95th term.
And the other question was how the sum of the first 'N' terms is 9. Find 'N'.
My problem is that there is not really a straightforward formula to solve this and I have no idea how they want me to approach it.
Hm. I can try to make this make a bit more sense to you without straight up giving you an answer.

If I gave you an analogue clock which currently reads 12:00 and then told you to wait for 133 hours, what would the clock read?

Try and apply a similar method to how you solved that to finding the 95th term of your sequence (assuming you didn't get a clock and wait for 133 hours!)

For the next problem, I'll give you a small hint. What is the sum of the first 4 terms? What is the sum of the first 4k terms if k is a positive integer? See if you can use this to simplify your problem.
Is anyone on this exam board for maths or has anyone done this exam board for maths? If so, how did you find it and do you know any good revision material for it since this isn't a popular exam board for maths?
I'm doing OCR MEI Maths and FM AS, I got an "Integral website" login and textbooks really, and we just get regular exam Q's and homework, what have you got?
Hm. I can try to make this make a bit more sense to you without straight up giving you an answer.

If I gave you an analogue clock which currently reads 12:00 and then told you to wait for 133 hours, what would the clock read?

Try and apply a similar method to how you solved that to finding the 95th term of your sequence (assuming you didn't get a clock and wait for 133 hours!)

For the next problem, I'll give you a small hint. What is the sum of the first 4 terms? What is the sum of the first 4k terms if k is a positive integer? See if you can use this to simplify your problem.

I just used your analogy of the clock to work out the first one and I got 4; I'm not sure if its right though.

For the second one, the sum of all numbers is 2, so I did 9/2= 4 remainder 1 (four sets of four).So 16 terms = 8 and is the answer 19 terms?? My workings do not make any sense whatsoever :lol:
Original post by hamza772000
I'm doing OCR MEI Maths and FM AS, I got an "Integral website" login and textbooks really, and we just get regular exam Q's and homework, what have you got?

We have really **** textbooks with no examples and we don't have like any logins or anything. Btw is there a difference between ocr mei and mei by itself? Because my textbook says 'MEI'only but people refer to it as ocr mei.
We have really **** textbooks with no examples and we don't have like any logins or anything. Btw is there a difference between ocr mei and mei by itself? Because my textbook says 'MEI'only but people refer to it as ocr mei.
Oh damn, well I find the textbook confusing anyways :/

No, I believe they're both the same :h:
I do it, my teacher gives us loads of practice sheets (some made by her and others official mei material) so maybe ask your teacher for extra sheets too?
Haven't been using a textbook because there's not really much need, if I don't understand something I'll look it up and practise it
You could look up practice questions from different exam boards as the fundamental concepts are the same, it's just the way questions are asked. It's also good as you can save past papers from your own exam board for closer to the exam :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest