The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Student1256
True. I would like to know what subject you appeared for and what kind of test was that at King's? What Marks did you get and by turned out fine I suppose you mean you're in Cambridge now, true? Also I'm sure you shouldn't just turn up like that without going over the whole syllabus provided on the site.

Maths, it was a maths test, I don't know what I got, yes I'm in Cambridge now.

You're worrying too much about this, just turn and up and do your best, gosh.
Original post by Zacken
Not sure what the point of using x=12x = \frac{1}{2} was for Q7, you should be able to pick out 1x\frac{1}{x} immediately.

Hmm maybe but I didn't want to just leave it blank with no working. Sometimes it's just easier to plug in random numbers for MCQ's rather than consider the algebra.
Reply 22
Original post by NeverLucky
Hmm maybe but I didn't want to just leave it blank with no working. Sometimes it's just easier to plug in random numbers for MCQ's rather than consider the algebra.

In that case, if you insist on using specific numbers, you may as well use 14\frac{1}{4} since it's square and gets rid of the square roots.
Original post by Zacken
In that case, if you insist on using specific numbers, you may as well use 14\frac{1}{4} since it's square and gets rid of the square roots.

I can see where you're coming from, but it wouldn't be very good model answers without any reasoning. Cambridge have already released the answers, he was trying to show the working
Anyone else finding these questions suspiciously easy? I did the Physics multiple choice section tonight and got 17/18 without having to think too much about them.
Reply 25
Original post by Forecast
Anyone else finding these questions suspiciously easy? I did the Physics multiple choice section tonight and got 17/18 without having to think too much about them.

I had a look through them when I was writing up the solutions the other day, a good student should be able to fly through the entire thing easily, to be honest. There isn't much thinking required. They may have undershot with the specimen and the real thing will be harder, or maybe they've balled it too low in general.

I've looked through it all and my thoughts are thus, the content on which the questions are based is actually very simple, a mixture of GCSE and AS level stuff really.
The questions are posed in a way which is fairly tricky, I would say the questions are less straightforward, in the sense you are more likely to be wondering how to answer the questions as opposed to using a straightforward method, than those at A level, though at times the content is generally simpler.
The really hard part of the MCQ's is the time constraints, bear in mind you will be doing 60 questions in 80 minutes so an average of a minute and a 20 seconds per question. For some questions that's enough, for some it may not!
So I would consider this, did you do it timed conditions without a calculator? If you did well done, if not maybe it's not as easy as you think :smile:
Also I suggest you check out section 2, seems much tougher to me although I haven't properly looked through it so
(edited 7 years ago)
Okay guys, apart from Biology, Section 1 is fully completed. Sorry it took so long but I've been really busy. If anyone wants to have a crack at writing solutions to Section 1 Biology, I'll be very grateful!

There's a small problem with Q75 that doesn't change the solution.

tan(3pi/4) = -tan(pi/4)=-1, not 1
Original post by MathMoFarah
There's a small problem with Q75 that doesn't change the solution.

tan(3pi/4) = -tan(pi/4)=-1, not 1

Blegh, once again radians decide to do me over hahaha. Thanks for spotting that, I'll edit it later.
Reply 30
Blegh, once again radians decide to do me over hahaha. Thanks for spotting that, I'll edit it later.

Probably not worth the effort to re-scan it, if people are confused they can just scroll down and see my answer anyway
Original post by Zacken
Probably not worth the effort to re-scan it, if people are confused they can just scroll down and see my answer anyway

I was just gonna do it quickly on LaTeX but yeah they can just scroll down to see your solution.
Does anybody have the solutions to section 2 of the specimen paper? No answers on the website!

Thanks
Reply 33
Worked solutions for the first section got published on the university's website: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/natural-sciences#entry-requirements
Hope this means we can expect part two soon
Offical explained answers to Section 1 (the multiple choice questions) now available.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_s1_specimen_explained_answers.pdf
Offical explained answers to Section 1 (the multiple choice questions) now available.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/publications/nsaa_s1_specimen_explained_answers.pdf

Took them a while haha, guess this isn't needed anymore then :redface:
Can i ask how you got A for question 76? I would have thought that as there is a greater surface area with the parachute opened when at terminal velocity, as its lower there is a greater constant air resistance which suggests it would be E.
Great forum though!1
Reply 37
Original post by isaac_wood_
Can i ask how you got A for question 76? I would have thought that as there is a greater surface area with the parachute opened when at terminal velocity, as its lower there is a greater constant air resistance which suggests it would be E.
Great forum though!1

When the terminal velocity is reached, the upwards force of air resistance has to be equal and opposite to the downwards force of gravity, which is the same before and after opening the parachute.
Original post by daniilS
When the terminal velocity is reached, the upwards force of air resistance has to be equal and opposite to the downwards force of gravity, which is the same before and after opening the parachute.

Thankyou! Does anyone know where section B answers are?
Reply 39
Original post by isaac_wood_
Thankyou! Does anyone know where section B answers are?

Section B? ... or Section 2?

Latest

Trending

Trending